T shot patterns to 100 yds

Status
Not open for further replies.

1ASSASSIN

DAA,

these tests were done yesterday after "envelope" was received from you, from my postal lady. I thought I at least owed you this range report, with 10" paper plates. Thank you for your honor and integrity.

There were 3 witnesses here, 2 State Troopers, Cook and Davis, and one of our Tribal Police Officers who asked that his name not be mentioned...

Most shots were at 100 yards, with a couple of shots at 80 yards, and so marked on the "target"...

All 3 Officers shot a target, and in fact each one shot their target twice, as indicated on their target...

Gun: Remington 870

Barrel: Hastings Wadlock - 34"

Choke: Hastings extended tube

Load: 12 ga. - 2 3/4" - 662.4 gr. - buffered

Lead T shot - 13.8 grains per pellet - 48 pellets per load

This is how I had the 10 inch "targets" set for patterning -

101_5365_zpsieqzv5ps.jpg

101_5371_zpswpg5uhmo.jpg

My truck was set back 102 yards from the target board, and we set on the ground, leaning back against the truck for each shot fired -

101_5357_zpspe8i6tz6.jpg

101_5366_zpsqkbca0r1.jpg

101_5398_zpsgnlmybkt.jpg

101_5396_zpsricdqtwi.jpg

101_5400_zpscgriwzr9.jpg

101_5401_zpsyhtzhaaj.jpg

101_5404_zps2bqj3sry.jpg

101_5402_zpsykhkchzs.jpg

101_5392_zpssn08tmpf.jpg

101_5395_zpszajw35ak.jpg

Since none of the Officers have shot a shotgun at this distance, and with a barrel this long, not knowing exactly where to aim or point, they were each given 2 shots at 100 yards -

101_5399_zpsgrogj62t.jpg

101_5397_zpswffhtqbs.jpg

101_5405_zpsl5flwz4z.jpg

The last 2 shots of the day were shot at 80 yards, prone, off a sandbag rest -

101_5391_zpslfbkdbpu.jpg

101_5390_zpsg8woaqet.jpg

I believe I have proved that my gun and load are capable of taking a coyote out to a distance of 100 yards, and even though full penetration on a broadside shot may be limited to 25% of the striking pellets, as long as no bones or muscles are hit, I personally feel that this is an acceptable long range coyote load with a shotgun!

Common sense / sensible questions are welcome, but I will NOT get into a pissing match with any of you and I will NOT argue or respond to ignorant or just flat out stupid remarks!

My only reasons for doing this post is because I felt that I owed one of the guys here, and nothing more and nothing less. And to prove that if you have the right gun with the right loads, you can definitely stretch the range on using a shotgun for coyotes...

Lol thats great. You are optimized for a 100 yard standing shot that is easy with a rifle. If its on the move at that distance you are talking 10, 20, 30 , 40 feet of lead...Meanwhile, the easy running shot at 10 yards that requires 18 inches of lead you might as well be shooting a rifle cuz the pattern is 6 inches across...Bravo, your shotgun is now a rifle....If you are having trouble with up close shots with a rifle, try a 1x scope and shoot with both eyes open...

Ultra tight patterns are as much a benefit as they are a detriment.

Whatever floats your boat I guess. I agree, if you hit a dog with that pattern at 100 yards it will either go down or at least start spinning so you can close the distance and finish it off.

I think that the main point is 1ASSASIN's shotgun and loads did what he said they would do. Not so much as if it's ethical to use it but that it is capable. If it does this at 100yds, it will sure be a capable load at 50-60 yards for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing. Wish my eyes were still that good. I had a beauty light CZ .17hmr semi auto last year and I quickly realized accurate shooting in fading light was very difficult with open sights. Amazing shotgun results.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI think that the main point is 1ASSASIN's shotgun and loads did what he said they would do. Not so much as if it's ethical to use it but that it is capable. If it does this at 100yds, it will sure be a capable load at 50-60 yards for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Yes indeed. Well done, David. Most impressive.

I showed all my buddies sitting around, that’s a great 100 yard group and plenty of jokes were made about those groups looking like my buddies rifle group at 100

That's awesome, exceptional for 100 yards.

Some people will feel the need to naysay regardless but that's impressive. Ya one shell might not have full penetration but it sure will slow them down for the next few shells to follow. Either way, it's laying down a pattern at that range.

32" barrel is YUGE.

1A, I hope this is all legit, I'd like to believe it. However, those are just more pictures on the Internet. There aren't any pictures of your witnesses, nobody shooting, nothing but supposed target results. We have no way to believe or not believe because it's all undocumented to those of us that are skeptical. And yes, I am skeptical. I'm skeptical because you refuse to take STS up on having an unbiased witness to report the result. The simple question is this, why will you not shoot in front of STS's unbiased witness? That person being present there and able to verify that "heck yes it was actually done" would remove all doubts. That would have been easy and safe considering who all was supposedly there with you. So really, why not clear it all up once and for all and be done with it? Id like to offer a sincere apology and move on... if possible. Why no unbiased witness? Evidently you were willing to take something from DAA, why not give STS a chance?

The crazy thing about those patterns is they look like most 50 yard patterns do, better in some cases. And thats when someone knows their own gun (considering you were running field sights which often don't shoot poa/poi).

With all this speculation why didn't you take a video? That would have been easy enough.

Psycodog - Thank you!

Displayed Name - Thank you! When the sun was out, it looked like that plate was glowing, but when the clouds rolled in, it definitely took more concentration.

Critter gittr - Thank you!

Rusty dust - Thank you Sir!

Tracker 0721 - Thank you! I've heard the same thing plenty of times.

LARUEminati - Thank you! I have had to get off a quick second and third shot before, to keep them down, and even for a varmint, I don't want to see it suffer needlessly. Counting the extended choke tube, overall barrel length is 35 inches and overall gun length is just over 55 inches. I hunt fence rows more than anything else when using this gun, so it's length is not an issue...

LARUEminati,

I have spent several thousand $$$ and 3 years in barrels, chokes, barrel modifications, loading components and load development, to be able to find a load that would shoot this well. Thousands of rounds later, I finally have what I am satisfied with...

I have tons of videos on my computer, but with all the "idiot's" running loose out there, there is no way that I would ever put this or any of my other videos on the internet!

I goose hunted and fly fished with General Schwarzkopf for years, and use to post our videos on my forum and a couple of others, but when people kept being disrespectful and hateful to one of the best men I ever knew, I removed all video's and said I would never post another one on line!

Goodness, David- one spectacular shot there to be sure!

What's the gun and ammo? Not that I could ever equal a shot like that I dont think.

Way to go. Truly NONE of US have anything to PROVE!!! We do the best to share our experiences and hope that other benefit from them. Some may try and duplicate a comparable success. Others may not be so fortunate.

I don't dog fight and don't care for the petty Horse ---- that goes with it.
Takes people to KNOW ME then they KNOW MY WORD
Nothing but class as was known to be demonstrated. Thank you, I like the High Road myself

Thank you Rustydust!

Winchester M70 in 30-284 shooting Hornady's 155 gr. A-MAX

Rifle specs -

Winchester M70 blue-printed and set up as a single shot...

Bolt face bushed / heavy duty firing pin spring / lightweight firing pin...

Custom tuned trigger / 6 ounce pull weight...

Lilja barrel / 30" / 1" muzzle diameter / muzzle brake 1.250" diameter / overall barrel and brake length 31 1/2" / chambered in 30-284...

McMillan Tooley MBR stock / 3" wide forend / factory weighted to 7 pounds / pillar and glass bedded...

EGW scope base with .040 taper / action and base modified to the larger 8-40 screws / base bedded to the action...

Burris Signature Zee rings...

Vortex Viper 6.5X-20X-50mm w/ fine duplex cross hairs...

Sinclair F-Class bi-pod...

Brass used was Lapua 6.5-284 necked to .30 caliber...

Dies used is a Redding 3 die set / 30-284...

Most accurate bullet tested was Hornady's 155 gr. A-MAX...

This is my favorite picture of this gun, and the way you see it, is exactly how I shoot it! That coyote was shot from that bench the gun is sitting on, and so was this deer that that was shot over 1,000 yards...

030_zps00b767a9.jpg

013_zps0be29e84.jpg

That tree that is in the middle back of this pasture with shade under it, is where the coyote was sitting when I shot it...

010_zpscd2dde62.jpg

My set up -

002_zpsb48251fd.jpg

023_zps325dd527.jpg

Last edited:
Superduper! Obviously you put a lot of loving care into making your guns as well as your ammo. What a setup that is. Jealous is me.

About 40 years ago I knew a guy that had a 6mm-.284 as well as a .30-284. He used the 6mm for coyote and the .30 for all big game. Neither of his rigs could hold a candle to yours.

Did I mention that I was jealous?

Yes Sir, I believe that you mentioned you were jealous.

You mentioned the 6mm-284!

That is my most favorite caliber of all time!

I have shot many thousands of rounds of 6mm-284 ammo, and with only "1" preferred bullet. Sierra's 85 gr. B.T.-H.P. Game King. For shooting deer, it's the most deadly combo I know!

Other favorites are most all things 6mm...

7mm STW...

300 Weatherby Magnum...

375 H&H...

460 Weatherby Magnum...

I think you are cheating,,,,,,,,,,, the [beeep] barrel on that shotgun cuts the distance in half. Kidding aside very good patterns, how much elevation to get the pattern to 100y. are you aiming 3-4 feet above the plate?

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back