Steel?

Reason for asking.......My 500 yd range at the club got voted down for now so 300yds is as far as we can shoot. My thoughts were to use a variety of different size targets to maybe make up the difference. Suggestions are welcome.

Only steel I have is 12" and I've shot at it out to 1000yds. I even hit it once at that range...lol. I'd think a 6" plate would be pretty easy at 300yds. A 4" might be a good challenge?

I'm thinking about a friendly match at the club shooting steel. Everything is shot from the 300yd bench but the targets get smaller as the match goes on.

for our run of the mill gongs we have 10 inch round out to 300 then from 4-600 we use 24 inch cant recall what our large gongs are from 6-1400.
we have a few challenging steel targets mostly at longer ranges but i will stick to under 4 as thats what your looking for. at 2 and 300 we have 2 and 3 inch mini plates. for your avg joe with a hunting gun those little plates get pretty tricky at 300 as they are placed in such a way that spotting missed shots is difficult.
at 150 and 250 we have 8 inch squares that are great sizes for practicing offhand and checking zeros on guns.
for a competition check out a "know your limits" style target array

At 300 yards from a bench, a 10" plate will bore shooters with some ability, but challenge the average weekend warrior and typical shooter/hunter. You won't please everyone with one size. 2 MOA plates are a much better standard challenge.

Plates and stands at a public range are going to get trashed at 100-200 yards by fast calibers if impact velocity exceeds 2800 fps. It only takes one moron to ruin it for everybody. You're going to have to assume everyone is a moron and hang the plates no closer than 300 yards if you want them to last.

I personally use at that distance 4" and 6". I use a 10" at 100yds to verify zero. All mine are ar500 3/8". I use the same 10" on longer shots. I bought a sheet of ar500 years ago and had this cut out. I also cut out coyote real life-sized targets for practicing. It is awesome to set those out at unknown distances and practice from shooting sticks at them. lets you know how well you know your rifle and setup. I like it because it lets you see your MPBR for your setup. It gives you real life info.

Thanks Jon

Where's your range at here in OK?

If you did a know your limits style rack at 300 yards, starting with 2moa or 3 moa then smaller down to .5moa would be fun and challenging.

Originally Posted By: BrienMIf you did a know your limits style rack at 300 yards, starting with 2moa or 3 moa then smaller down to .5moa would be fun and challenging.

Due to 300yds is the farthest we can shoot now. I was thinking along Briens idea. As shooting progress's, the targets get smaller.
My 4" plate is pretty easy to hit at 200yds. Haven't tried it at 300 yet. Ran out of ammo shooting it at 200. LOL

I typically use an 8” gong at 500 hung beside a 66% IPSC (12”x20”). I have many sizes of steel, but I can generally commit myself to 8” at 500 as a challenge, with the 66% as a check target.

Steel’s pretty cheap in the scheme of things, as long as members don’t abuse it with over-powered ammo or improper bullets and short ranges...

I have a rack which will hold my 24” round, a 66% IPSC, and a 10” round. I usually only set it up at 800-1200 yards. The 24” is almost always easy. Some days the 66% IPSC is a real challenge. Most days, the 10” is a confidence killer anywhere past 800.

If you have access to a plasma cutter, shaped targets are great for shorter ranges.

We shoot
Gophers 4 1/2" tall by 3" wide at 150.
Sitting cottontails 8" tall(tip of ears) 6" long at 220
standing wood chucks 12" tall 4 1/2" wide at 300.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI'm thinking about a friendly match at the club shooting steel. Everything is shot from the 300yd bench but the targets get smaller as the match goes on.
+1
g.png

Originally Posted By: johnrr65
+1

this guy has now made it to 17 posts with nothing but a +1 written. keep up the good work.
thumbup1.gif

must be wanting to list something for sale and needs to get to the 40 posts.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: johnrr65
+1

this guy has now made it to 17 posts with nothing but a +1 written. keep up the good work.
thumbup1.gif

rolleyes.gif

Nah, you’re being paranoid! He’s posted “nice” three times and “great picture” once too! Obvious effort to contribute, not just pad a post count... smfh...

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: johnrr65
+1

thumbup1.gif

rolleyes.gif
LOL +1

I have 12 x 12" plates at 250, 300 & 400 yards in my backyard range. I have one 16" plate hung at 215 for my .45/70. From 100-200 I have a variety from 8-10". Also have a set of metallic silhouettes leftover from the IHMSA days. My handgun range has a variety in different sizes & shapes (steel 20 oz pop-bottle shaped, pepper-popper, tombstone etc...).

Last edited:
Back