Spring Turkey Contest!!!!!

Well guys I have a turkey to enter in the contest. Went out early this morning, April 22, 2005. I heard him gobble, but a storm was coming up, everytime it would thunder he would gobble. I was using a new wing bone call I got from some guy sure is fun to use but not very good at it. But the turkey came in and I got him before the rain moved in. What a great way to start the day. First time I have tried to post a picture I think I can do better next time. Beard was 10 inches and spurs about a inch. I will be going back and bring back the winner. Plus I have just looked in my vest for my wingbone call and have lost it, proabaly dropped it when that turkey came in. Good Luck to all.

Don%20turkey1.jpg

Don%20turkey2.jpg

Don%20turkey3.jpg

kee kee if it not to late i like to sign up.
see the bad thing is i only get one tag and the good thing is it's for P.A /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PS
i have my new box call from TOMTALKER
all i will say is THEM POOR TURKEYS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

04-27-2005turkeypic2.jpg

Killed 4-27-05 not the biggest I ever killed but still nice.17.5 lbs. 9-3/4 beard. My buddy is not much on taking pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Last edited:
rem223pa.....

Its not to late just make sure you all get your pic's posted in this thread before the cutt off day!

By the way those are good looken birds guys!!!! Keep them pic's coming in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And congrads!

Brent

I finally got my bird after many does of hearing and seeing birds but not getting them to cooperate. Getting an Eastern public land bird is usually a challenge (frustration).

This bird was killed 4-27-05, weighted 19 pounds, 1 inch spurs and 10 1/2 inch beard (with a lot of broken hairs).

2Eastern05.jpg

After climbing to the ridge top twice and belly crawling for about 70 yard for a nice 30 yard shot, here is the results of the good Lord's blessing, two of them I should say. The main important one is my little girl, Lauren, and the second is this awesome gobbler. He weighed in at 27lbs., had two beards 10 inch and 4 inch, and 3/4 inch spurs. Biggest turkey of my 7 year turkey career! Thanks.

S5300083.jpg

Last edited:
Went to KS. last weekend and managed to connect on this Eastern. Calling wasn't very productive for us, so we set up in some usual travel patterns where my buddy had been seeing the turkeys come through headed to roost. He sat in one spot and I sat in another on this evening hunt, and we waited. I was in the right spot this time. This turkey only had 5/8" spurs, but had a 10+" thick beard.
IMG_0409.jpg

Here is my Iowa 2005 Spring Turkey.

He was the boss hog in a bachelor group of 7. A series of sweet yelps coaxed them from their roost, 40 yards from my stand. I was like a kid, as I watched the strutting parade to within 10 yards. It was a video moment...if I only had my camcorder! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

He weighed 28lbs, 11 inch beard and 1.25" spurs.

Turkey05.jpg

Thanks...Tony

Aprl 30, 2005 Maine Youth Turkey Day
Gage Currie, 17.5 pounds, 6 inch beard (half of it was worn off like it was cut with scissors), 1/2 inch spurs.

Well this is what it is all about. My boy turned 10 in February, which made him legal to hunt this year. He takes getting up at 3:30 with some reservation but then he is wide awake. We were greeted by a tremendous chorus of Toms as soon as we got out of the truck at 4:45. Well that made him look at me and say "That one was pretty close" I agreed and we setup. Well the lovely serenade continued for about a half hour, then, the hens started in and suddenly there were 8 Toms in the bottom of the field. They were all strutting and then the hens decided it was time to go... the wrong way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif. They messed around for quite some time out in the middle of the field and then I see three hens making there way around the field with this Tom and two jakes in tow. They come down on us from the wromg direction, of course, ...pause... Well the boy looks at me and says I got to go pee really bad. I said "Now!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, cant you hold it a few more minutes. He said "NO!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif". I said all right kneel down and pee in the corner of the blind but hurry up they are almost here...unpause... so they are getting closer and the hens have spotted the decoys and have gone into putt and purr mode. They are within 20 yards when the kid gets his pants back up and then I see the Tom coming. He cant see him so I tell him to get ready to shoot near the decoys. He gets the 20 gauge in position and the Tom comes in full strut to the hen deke. I whisper "Wait til he puts his head up" Well right on cue out comes the head and "BANG FLOP FLAP FLAP FLAP" He yells out "YEAH!!!!!" and I may have said the same, as a matter of fact I think I may have said a lot more than yeah /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

What an awesome moment for a Dad, and the boy was pretty excited too!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Elapsed hunting time 1:15 from truck to truck. Boys total hunting time--- the same. I think I might have a partner for a few years.

GSmileTurk.jpg

a nother member of the keystone state predator callers with his long beard we work in
DSC00027-1.jpg

DSC00023-1.jpg

Well I have Monday to my self so i hope to have a contender

Hey all, i just joined this site, and i wanted to show off my bird of the year. i took this tom with 2 others and 7 hens on 4.23.05. Shot him at 55 paces with Federal Copper plated #5's. He weighed in at around 23-24 lbs, had 1" spurs all around, and a 9" beard. My largest gobbler ever!

[image]http://www.txwaterfowler.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2643&PN=2&TPN=1[/image]

Last edited:
Not to be out done by my boy, here's my entry and turkey for the year.

Shot 5-11-05 10:00 am, China, Maine

19 lbs, 8.5 inch beard, 3/4 inch spurs.

DadTurkey.jpg

congrats to both you and your son, we do not have enough young people getting interested in hunting these days. yours should be hooked.

Quote:
Hey all, i just joined this site, and i wanted to show off my bird of the year. i took this tom with 2 others and 7 hens on 4.23.05. Shot him at 55 paces with Federal Copper plated #5's. He weighed in at around 23-24 lbs, had 1" spurs all around, and a 9" beard. My largest gobbler ever!

http://www.txwaterfowler.com/forum/uploads/images/playaxplorer/2005-04-25_094647_tukey_4_23_05.jpg
http://www.txwaterfowler.com/forum/uploads/images/playaxplorer/2005-04-25_095928_tukey_beard.jpg
http://www.txwaterfowler.com/forum/uploads/images/playaxplorer/2005-04-25_101144_turkey_spur.jpg

Nice bird! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Your pics are over 600 pixils tall so links will have to do.

HE IS THE HUNT! I was hunting Ohio for 2 weeks and had a blast! The birds in picture are me and a buddy who has never killed a Turkey. We set up on a Douuble bearded 9 inch at 5:30 am. I set 2 dekes up and had this bird in the bag. " yea right" Never heard a peep! At 6:30 We moved to amother spot and he smouldered his first bird at 7:05! That'S Dave Young, My work partner! We took his bird to his house so he could BRAG to his WIFE! While he boasting his bird up I heard one hammering from his driveway. I told him the morning was getting better! We moved on these birds and at 9;15 I BLACK POWDERED MY FIRST LONGBEARD!!!!! For any of you guys who killed your first bird, Congrats!!!This was 43rd longbeard, but my first with BLACK BOWDER!!!! It's Addictive! TRY IT ### I will never forget this this hunt. The story can't tell it but(THE PICTURES ARE WORTH A MILLION WORDS) Good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Luck and Hunt Safe God Bless America!!!!!!! Recurve! PS. HIS WAS 18lbs 10" with 1 1/8 spurs Mine was 19lbs 10" 1 1/4 spurs>

Back