Spring Turkey Contest!!!!!

I want to sign my son Dylan up for this 1 as well. He'll be gettin his license by turkey season. Does he have to be a member of PM ?

I'll give it a go...my tag is for April 18th - May 1st. Thanks Kee for running this and putting up the prizes.
good luck to all! -Drew

*and just a note to all those that don't know...check out brent's website he makes some very nice calls that work great!

here is my openning day bird!
271096.jpg

this is my last bird of the season and my favorite! he is not the prettiest or the best! but he will be the most ,memorable!
the lady that owns the land lost her husband last summer and is still having a hard time coping ! I am one of the few he ever let hunt! she sat in her porch swing and watched me work this bird for 3 solid hours ,she came and picked me up to give me a ride back to my truck and even let me take pics with her! that to me is worth more than any gobbler!a memory and pic for a lifetime!
274025.jpg

Great season! What county are the birds from?

I have been working my tail off to get an Eastern but they have been uncooperative. They gobble on the roost and fly down to hens I quess, because after that they have lock jaw.

didn't know if we had to post in this thread or not for the contest so here i am again.

Not the biggest bird i've ever shot but he'll fry! 8 1/2" beard, one spur was 1" and the other 1 1/8". i started off calling that morning and was getting very little response. I went on a walk and kicked some out and found that they were already paired up so i switched my strategy. I started using a locater cluck until the hens started "talking" back to me. Then just worked the hens to me bringing the gobblers along for the ride! Called him and the hen within 15 yards of me before i dropped him with 2 3/4" #5 winchester copper plated turkey loads! Going back Saturday to get a bigger one! Thanks Heath!!!

IM000502.jpg

IM000503.jpg

IM000505.jpg

IM000504.jpg

IM000506.jpg

Last edited:
My first Spring Turkey!
Put him to bed Friday night. Was within 40 yards of where I last saw in the field way before daylight, set up a hen decoy with a jake about 30 yards from teh edge of the tree line. A little before daylight, and owl hooted, and he gobbled back off the roost. I heard him fly down, and picked him up about 100 yards away, with a hen. I made a few soft yelps with my friction call, and he headed my way. I got the gun up, and to my great annoyance, my back sight was not there, it had pulled off coming out of the case. By this time, the tom was at the jake decoy, he hit it and knocked it over, so I held what I thought was the correct sight picture, and sent the 10 gauge load on it's way. He hit the ground, and I let out a long sigh of relief.
275991.jpg

I got my second ever turkey, I got him opening evening. Set up at 6:00pm and called this guy in bagged him in a hour and 15 mintues! I was pretty excited, he came through a woods which i was set up in the corner next to a CRP field. He didn't present himself until he popped out between me and my decoys at 30 feet! I was glad he came in that close, because i was using my mossberg 20ga. He weigh about 24 lbs, has a 9-3/4" beard and 1" spurs. Here's a pic, nothing fancy cause my wife isn't too good with our camera yet...good luck to all!

IM000605.jpg

IM000600.jpg

Just returned from TX hunting some spring gobblers. There were birds everywhere, but the gobblers were locked up with hens. The first pic are of my two birds and the 2nd is a bird that I called in for a friend.

Good luck to all!

-Andrew

P1000273.jpg

39346274.jpg

Back