Seen this nikon news?

Originally Posted By: roadkill46here is my post to the site...and a pic:
Have any of you thought of the destruction of domestic/commercial/and wildlife that coyotes, wolves, bobcats, mountain lions, feral dogs and cats do on an annual basis to our nations ranchers and farmers? They take an inumerable amount of calves, lambs, etc as well as your domestic cats and dogs. They spread disease like wildfire. Predator hunters do not even put a small dent in their population. They breed and breed and the destructive cycle continues. My neigbor lost a dog to a coyote. Carried him off in his mouth right in front of us. That was 10 years ago and I hunt them every chance that i get. I am not in an area that there are many wolves, but I support Nikon 100%! Their Coyote Special scope is one of the better products for predator hunters. Be advised before you start your Starbucks, PETA, flaming of me, that I am an ethical hunter and only go for a clean kill and don't shoot if I do not have said shot. Predator hunting is a sport. It is not like Elk, Deer, or any other big game animal. It is hunting the top of the food chain in the animal world. There are more misses than hits when predator hunting. I skin and keep all of my pelts and leave the meat for the other carrion to feed off of. You all should concentrate on what you can do for the National Deficit and what YOUR president is doing to this country instead of worrying about a coyote. My .02....let the flames begin!!

I just checked that site and surprise, surprise, surprise...your well thought out and educational comment does not seem to be there!
glare.gif
Imagine that!

Let's see if my commment is allowed to show up on that site:

"I understand and respect those who desire to protect a species so that it will survive and be a part of our environment. The reintroduction of the wolf to the US has been tremendously successful. Job well done.

As for the coyote, that species has never been in danger of eradication or even low population numbers and there is good reason for it. Unlike the wolf, coyote do not have a social structure that limits breeding pairs. Most females of breeding age do have a successful liter every year.

The coyote is a smart predator and able to thrive in just about all US environments. He will prey on any animal he can and that includes dogs, cats, rabbit, mice, sheep, cattle (calves usually), deer, antelope, and even other coyote.

Coyote are very capable of learning the habits of those humans who hunt them and adapt well. Just try calling a coyote into camera range in areas that have been heavily hunted. You'll find that they answer with howls and there are good numbers but they will not leave the protection of their cover. They have learned and adapted well.

The coyote hunting contests that you seem to be so adamantly against, are held only in areas where the numbers of coyote are very high and there is a legitimate need to reduce the numbers of these predators. The organizers of these events do NOT support the indiscriminate elimination of the coyote. They fully understand the vital role predators play in the natural world but they also know that responsible management involves limiting their numbers so that other wildlife and the livestock of ranchers are not severely impacted.

It is possible to be an avid supporter of healthy wildlife populations, including predators, and support hunting as a viable and effective method of management."

I too sent a letter to the email address supplied in a previous post. I won't duplicate it here but basically, I thanked them for the support the do give to hunting forums and hunter's groups and encouraged them to continue that support. Ya get more flies with honey than ya do with vinegar.
thumbup.gif

I fully support responsible hunting as a wildlife management tool and very educational recreation. Just because I no longer get any pleasure from a kill doesn't mean that others, who put meat in the freezer and help control predator / pest populations, should do as I do and only hunt with a camera.

Last edited:
I support what nikon did, we all should, contest hunting just puts a ton of idiots out and just thrashes the area for calling, its not a sport or for fun, its all about killing numbers, where is the fun in that. it doesn't show respect to the animal. we as hunters should be about fair chase and ethics. contests make us all look like a bunch of blood thirsty red necks.

I think you guys miss the boat when it comes to liberals ..... They think you are ignorant and squalid , if you don,t support them you are the problem .... They would like to abort you like they do innocent unborn human children . If you want to do the world a favor , forget about them and hunt wolves and coyotes like wolves hunt their prey 100% for the kill . Any way , any how .... If wolves are dying that is a good thing !!!!!

Originally Posted By: steve garrettI support what nikon did, we all should, contest hunting just puts a ton of idiots out and just thrashes the area for calling, its not a sport or for fun, its all about killing numbers, where is the fun in that. it doesn't show respect to the animal. we as hunters should be about fair chase and ethics. contests make us all look like a bunch of blood thirsty red necks.
. You are a p-s !

Nikon will get no support or nice words from me. You don't have to email Nikon, send the link to your friends.

Thousands of Nikon scopes, and Bino's are sold every month. Send the link to your buddy's! In days it will be nation wide. Spread this link to every hunting forum you visit.

Yes spread the word, Nikon has rubbed noses with the Anti's.

Nikon makes great products for us, maybe they can sell their coyote scope to the anti's. Its in camo, they can hide from the birds.

I just purchased a new Nikon Coyote special scope.
Perhaps I should return it to Cabela's and let them know why.... hhmmmm?

I also wrote Nikon. Also left a post on the Howling for Justice site. I'm sure they will delete any posts that they don't agree with. I noticed when I posted it says.
1. Your comment is awaiting moderation

My post...
I’m sure you’ll delete this post since it doesn’t agree with your site’s values, but hunting and specifically game management has become quite a science. If it wasn’t for hunting and game management, we’d most likely be looking at deer, elk, bears, antelope and a number of others either extinct or on some ones endangered species list. Do some research and you may be enlightened? The science of game management isn’t what’s cute and cuddly so lets’ not shoot it, it’s about maintaining balances in nature. When you watch a coyote hop in your back yard and tear apart your pet, you may gain a different outlook. Ahh, but that’s nature you say? Or, they were here first? I suppose there’s and argument for every argument. Gee, why not oppose all rifle and scope companies since it’s not your “thing”? I live in the southwest where coyotes are over abundant and a nuisance to ranchers, pet owners and rural neighborhoods and I am as adamant in my opinions regarding hunting & controlling them as you are in your opinions to protect them. Thankfully we live in a country where we can all voice our own opinions. I’ll be sure to write Nikon and voice my opinions to them regarding their poor decision. Even more thankfully I still have the right to bear arms, hunt and buy a “coyote scope” if I want to. You also have right and freedom to not do so. And, thanks to hunting regulations, and state game management, I can and will continue hunt them. If your site provides nothing else of value it does make me feel like buying a coyote scope and going hunting today!

I am surprised at how many of you are so willing to jump on the boycott wagon. What sense does it make to boycott a company that the antis are boycotting? All that will do is hurt a company that caters to our needs and provide the antis with a victory. That doesn't help us any. Instead we should be supporting and encouraging them to market gear towards us. Go buy one of their coyote scopes and then let them know that you like it. If it doesn't fit your needs or you buy one and don't like it send them feedback on what you would like changed. If you use one of their other scopes or binoculars let them know how much you like using them for predator hunting.

Capitalism wins in the end folks. If there is a market that they can make money in they are going to do it. Instead of shrinking our market share with a boycott we should be working at increasing it.

I've owned my Nikon Buckmaster mildot for 5yrs now. Rifle/scope has hit the gravel road as it slid off of my shoulder. It has hit the gravel road, as it slid from the side of my truck box. As the butt end of my rifle was sitting on the gravel road.

It has never fogged-up in well below zero days. Still holds zero & assists me in killing coyotes way out there. Nikon...good. Coyotes...bad
wink.gif

Andrew,

Well said.

As I mentioned before, Nikon isn't the enemy here. It's the blatant terroristic tactics of the antis. We have to insure that we diect our efforts toward that end, not alienate our allies.

We will see if I get a reply. Has anyone got a reply as of yet? If not I am thinking we need to stat talking with our money and not just be lazy bloggers.

My email basically stated how I have enjoyed my Nikon products and how disappointing it was to see they folded to an anti hunting group. I basically stated that further actions of this nature would cause me to reconsider purchases of such products as scope, binos, range finders and camera gear.

Last edited:
Please Read Before Commenting
This is a pro-wolf blog as I’m sure anyone visiting this site understands. I do welcome your opinions but not if you’re here to make negative comments, that don’t add anything to the debate. I understand gray wolf issues can flame people’s passions but please be polite. I moderate and answer each comment personally and enjoy healthy discourse. but I’m not going to spend my time continually defending my positions.

My plan is to add a forum to this site so people can express their opinions about gray wolf issues. Thank you.

For the wild ones,

Nabeki

Just sent my email and am going to send back my D90 and new nikon coyote scope and get a cannon and leupold. I let them know that also.

Originally Posted By: steve garrettI support what nikon did, we all should, contest hunting just puts a ton of idiots out and just thrashes the area for calling, its not a sport or for fun, its all about killing numbers, where is the fun in that. it doesn't show respect to the animal. we as hunters should be about fair chase and ethics. contests make us all look like a bunch of blood thirsty red necks.

Steve, you're entitled to your view but in fairness, calling those folks who do participate in calling contests "idiots" does nothing to aid your case. Nor does the unfounded allegation that it "thrashes the area for calling". If you look at a couple of recent contests here in NM & SW CO, you'll find that folks traveled well over 200 miles each way to call in their home areas & then return to the contest HQ. Hardly "thrashing the area".

Yes, I have fun when I call coyotes but this at heart isn't a 'sport'. It's about reducing the numbers of a very aggressive PREDATOR to acceptable levels so ranchers & game animals have more of a chance of not losing out to the predators.

I've been controlling predators since I was 8 years old, both here & in the UK where I was born. I respect the predators as being at the top of their food chain, for their cunning & the difficulty in calling & killing them but at the end of the day, whether a 'yote ends up dead as a result of me calling him today when I'm not in a comp or Saturday when I might be is immaterial. He's still dead.

I would also submit that to be successful in a calling comp, one must deeply understand the nature, the habits & tactics of the coyote, often in a way that many of us casual callers do not. That SKILL comes from spending many, many hours calling, studying, waiting & being frustrated by the lack of success. Eventually, after much experience, you learn enough to have some moderate success at hunting coyotes & other predators so to call the folks in the comps "idiots" is a tad ironic as that is the LAST thing they are.

Coyotes have been hunted & killed for many decades, often via govt hunters, paid to do so & shot from aircraft. How many hundreds of thousands coyotes were killed like this & yet their numbers are still vibrant & don't seem to suffer? If they can withstand that kind of hunting pressure, a few calling comps ain't gonna faze them.

You need to understand one thing: the anti hunters ALREADY think we are "blood thirsty rednecks" & NOTHING that is done to appease them (like not having calling comps) will change their minds. To them, even you, opposed to comps, is nothing more than a uneducated, gap toothed yokel who likes to kill innocent coyotes that only prey on the sickly & wounded (by other nasty hunters) game animals & wouldn't really hurt anyone if they were just left alone. They have NO concept of reality, no understanding of the place of man & coyote in the scheme of things & just want ALL hunting & gun ownership BANNED. I have seen this type of people before in the UK; they banned the hunting of foxes by hounds based on nothing more than class envy & hatred of the rural way of life. Facts mean NOTHING. It's all about emotion for these people. Handguns were banned in the UK over 10 years ago yet illegal use of handguns in crime is through the roof & there are still morons over there wanting MORE gun control as if it will do any good!!
cursing.gif
Get it now? They hate us, you included & nothing you or I or anyone can do nor say will change their minds.

These people read these sites & they want us to argue among ourselves, to boycott Nikon & to act like irresponsible children in calling each other names. We can agree to disagree but let's show Nikon that we support them AGAINST the anti's. The anti hunting crowd hate us already, we'll never change their minds but we do need to support those who support us.

OK, off the soap box.

Well, another check of the "pro-wolf" blog and not one single comment that does not support their position is showing up. It's official! The antis are not people who care to become educated but instead prefer their ignorance.

Ignorance = a simple lack of knowledge
Stupidity = a refusal to gain knowledge

Ignorance may be cured fairly easily...stupidity is terminal.

all you AZ hunters,ranchers and Navajo's take note...click on mexican wolf items...they're kick'n around the idea of moving the program to the Grand Canyon Natl Park...elk calves,fawns & sheep/cattle will be on the menu...

Back