savage 22-250 reloading issue

Originally Posted By: varminter185Hmmm, ive read it in numerous reloading manuals... is that just an effort to reduce liability?

There are a lot of things in loading manuals that are pure, unadulterated cow poopie.

In my old (#4) Nosler manual, it says that loading 5.56 (223) Lake City brass is dangerous because it is so heavy (thick) that pressures are dangerous.

Well, Lake City brass is actually on the light side of the brass pool. So I called Nosler, and asked to speak to the "head ballistician". This bored dip-stick gets on the phone and I ask him if he ever weighed a 5,56 case. "No", so I asked him where he got that, and he said a friend told it to him. So I suggested that he weigh a few different 5.56 and 223 cases, and said good bye.

Some manuals say that bullets travel in a spiral helix - well, if you do the math on a 30 cal, 175gr SMK, at 2,700 fps with a 10" twist, the force required to keep the bullet from flying off at a 90° angle (sideways) is over 15,000 pounds (Gasp!!). Bullets do NOT travel in a spiral helix. They travel straight for the whole arc, and do not go nose down in a tangent.

The head of ballistics at one "Famous" manual publisher is a hobby level loader, and his answers to customer's questions are no better than they would get by asking the guy behind the gun counter at the local Cabelas.

Good to know! I bought some 50 v max, going to research the loadups and switch to them. Taking back the barnes left me with only a handful of 36. So im good with leting those sit

Originally Posted By: TheshedhunterWaiting anxiously for Catshooter to publish worlds most accurate and fact laden reloading manual...please hurry!

I'll need your help with a lot of it.

Originally Posted By: TheshedhunterPerfect! You can be the guy with the facts and I'll be the guy with the people skills and small ego. We'll be rich!

I don't think so... you lack the people skills. And people with small egos stand at the back of life's line.

I wish he would make a sticky that read, Gun Myths and Old Wives Tales. He wouldn't have to type the same detailed explanation every two weeks.

1. Lake City brass is thicker.

2. 5.56 will blow up a .223.

3. Bullets can go to sleep.

4 Under minimum loads will blow up your gun.

5. Backed out flattened primers are always a sign of over pressure.

6. Case head separation is caused by too much pressure.

7. All YouTube reloading videos are fact checked.

8. What's the best load for my (insert caliber)and it's a (insert brand-type)? It shoots good in yours it HAS to shoot good in mine.

9. It will shoot 1/2 inch all day any day if I do my part.

10. Varget for everything!

11. Can I cut the tip off ball ammo to make it into a hollow point?

I wouldnt tell people you have a small "ego" hahah. Anyway I think this thread is obsolete. Since im changing tips, I may start another one before I start loading rhe hornadys

Back