running coyotes with dogs

How do you use the dogs?? Do the dogs kill the coyote or do they corner them and you shoot them??
The coyotes in the picture above were caught using grey hounds, which are sight dogs, which means the grey hound must see the coyote to pursue it, they will not chase or follow a coyote by using thier nose. The vehicle in the back ground has a "dog box" on it in which the grey hounds ride. The hounds have their heads out looking and the driver attempts to get close enough to the coyote and then release the dogs, and the chase is on. The grey hounds are sprinters, they do best on flat, open ground and do poorly in thickets, tall grass, fences, etc. They need to catch the coyote with-in about 1/4 mile, although they will sometimes stay with it and catch as far as a half mile+, at that point they will indeed kill the coyote, if left alone, BUT instead the driver trys to get to the catch quickly and kill the coyote and remove the hounds so that the pelt can be sold! If the grey hounds are released but do not have sight of the coyote, they will "miss" and run the wrong direction, at which time they will come back to the vehicle, and the coyote gets away!
Like I said, we saw about 45 coyotes in a day and a half, I don't remember exactly, but I'd guess the grey hounds were released about 20-25 times! The dogs do get out run, the coyotes might go in a hole, or the coyote gets in thick cover, tall grass, thickets, what ever, and loose the grey hounds. Coyotes are quick, have great stamina, and thick fur which enables them to go through thick brush and fences quickly, where-as grey hounds run fast in a stragiht line with no brush, fences, ditches, etc. and don't follow thier nose to keep track of the coyote.
This form of "hunting" has been around a long, long time, even before "Randy A showed anyone how to call" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'll jump in on this one as well even though I just posted to the same question a few days ago in the growth and future of our sport thread.

First, yes there are guys who run dogs who are complete slobs. You find the unfortunately in every group of hunters. Yes some people run there dogs where they do not have permission, same as some call land they do not have permission for. Sometimes dogs stray from land the owners have permission for onto land they don't have permission for. Heres a news flash for ya - they are dogs, they know no concept of property lines. At this point a responsible houndsman catchs his dog(s) and moves on.

Anybody that says running a yote with dogs is too easy or unsporting has never participated in the sport. Training a good dog is no easy task and coyotes are very good at fooling a dog. They learn real quick to avoid roads and run circles in the middle of the section till the dog loses their trail. As far as skill level goes, once you get the dog trained you still have to shoot the coyote. Trying to pick up and tag a yote running from brush patch to brush patch is no easy task. People who sitting trucks along the road probably only see a third to a quarter of the yotes their dogs run and then only kill about a quarter of those. Personally I don't like sitting and waiting in a truck so I chase the dogs on foot. For those bashing dog hunting please try this method some time. After spending a day trying to get ahead of a coyote often trudging through 2 plus feet of some, I'll bet anything you change you mind.

Finally, and for hopefully the last time, chasing coyotes with dogs isn't about killing coyotes, its about the dogs. The whole competition is between the dog and the coyote and the pleasure comes from from watching the chase unfold. Success isn't in the body count but how well your dogs played the game. Watching and listening to a good set of hounds run is one of the finer pleaures in life and if you have never experienced it I can't help but pity you.

Most of my coyote hunting involves calling, but I try to go with family that run dogs 2-3 times a year, just as I try to get my golden retrieve out to the pheasant fields on a regular basis and if I'm real lucky going coon hunting once or twice. I've been a dog person from day one and walking a good dog do its work still makes my heart beat fast too this day, whether it be a border collie working my cattle, a golden retriever getting birdy, or a pack of hounds running a coyote.

From my point of view their are something things in life that you have to experience before you can claim to have really lived. A partial list of out door related ones are:
1. Sat around a campfire and heard the coyotes or wolves howl in the distance.
2. Encountered a grizzly with cubs (or some other dangerous critter) at close range while unarmed and realizing that you are no longer at the top of the food chain.
3. Pushed some piece of performance motor vehicle to the absolute limit and road the jagged edge of out of control
4. Rode a bull
5. Rode a horse at full speed through the forest whipping and weaving around trees.
6. Had a bull elk or gobbler sound off behind you at spitting distance.
7. Called a coyote across the snow on a moonlit night.
8. Watched a well trained dog work its magic.
I could go on but you should have gotten the point, I've done everything on this list except buggled up and elk, but that will change given time.

Oh, and by the way. I've never even shot at coyote running from dogs, but I've killed a bunch of them calling. And personally, hunting with dogs the way I prefer to do it makes calling look pretty damn easy.

Just the the not so humble (in this case) opinion of someone who has been there and did it.

As far as I'm concerned dog hunters have every right to be out there as I do.I call in areas that get dog hunted and I still get coyotes.We are all in this together,I trap coyotes too,so am I supposed to stop because it might cut someones chances at calling one in later in the winter,I dont think so.I really hate seeing other so called sportsmen and women,who want to see something outlawed because it doesnt fit into their niche.Thats exactly what the anti's love to see.The old saying goes united we stand,divided we fall.As far as slobs go,you have them in any sport whether it's fishing,hunting,trapping,or camping.And that's why it's important to police ourselves,before it's done for us.One thing I can say is,the dog hunters around here that I know are a great bunch of guys.(northern wisconsin)
Nice pics Songdog,good job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't want it outlawed!! I want those guys to hunt without trespassing!!!!!!!! That ruined one of my spots for this weekend, and that my friend really ticks me off.

I only speak from my experience in the County I live in...

The vast majority of Coyote hunters use scent not sight hounds.Most hunters have 4x4 pick ups and drive where ever they please during a hunt.Its not unusual to see 8-10 vehicles parked around a square mile area to box in a coyote so some one will get a shot. All pick ups have radios for communications, the vast majority use rifles. If the hunter ever gets out of their vehicle its to take a shot, or take a piss from all the coffe drinking.......Some like to call it a sport, I do not.

Its really no different than deer hunting in this county...First you put out the trail camera,doe scent, or the salt block or deer "snacks", or maybe a big ole deer feeder that attracts many deer...Get in your camo blind or clothes and become a "hunter", and be sure to have the head mounted so all will know what a hunter you are.....some call it a sport,I do not.

I was raised hunting and with a rifle in my hand, down through the years many things have changed. Hunting has become a money game to so many, as it has to the state of Illinois.The only hunting I do any more is Coyote, just me, my call and rifle. No vehicle, dogs, bait,or any other fancy commercial gimmick..Do I rack up dozens of kills a year..no.. but the solitude and enjoyment of the great outdoors is my reward, I do not hunt just to see how many I can "Kill".

A few people always ruin it for everyone. With a board name of TRAILHOUND I suppose I'm on some people's S--- list. I think I spend more time asking permission than I do hunting. Now I have a large area to go with no problems. I wish all hound hunters would do the same. I quit hunting with the guy who got me started. He didn't respect that sign or land where he was told not to go. Someday the law will catch up to him. I am by no means saying that my hounds can read and know they can't go into an area. That is my responsibility. While you have hound guys on your hunting land,I have spot and stalk and call guys on mine. Without permission all of them are wrong. But don't try and ban a sport someone has a passion for. There are slob hunters everywhere and in every sport. Should we all hang up our hunting equipment?? I could go on and on but won't.

Originally posted by rem222:
[qb] I don't want it outlawed!! I want those guys to hunt without trespassing!!!!!!!! That ruined one of my spots for this weekend, and that my friend really ticks me off. [/qb]
Then call a warden if there breaking the law tresspassing,instead of putting them all in one group.

We run them with dogs here in PA and killed 94 last season. Here is a picture of a few kills and a few of my hunting buddies. Dogs will always be crossing posted property....which is perfectly legal because if the dog is on trail he is under controll. Last time I checked our dogs still couldnt read...........

http://"http://www.hunt101.com/?p=252881&c=529&z=1"]
252881.jpg
[/url]

http://"http://www.hunt101.com/?p=254957&c=500&z=1"]
254957.JPG
[/url]

http://"http://www.hunt101.com/?p=254958&c=500&z=1"]
254958.JPG
[/url]

I am going to add a personal opinion here. I have never ran coytoes with dogs, nor do I ever expect to. I like to "hunt", and yes, while I do take the easy road sometimes, at least I am doing it.

When you set a dog lose on a coyote, what are you "hunting"? You are hunting where the dog kills the coyote or where they corner it so you can kill it. This isn't hunting, this is merely "killing" and is completely different. Of course, this is my 2 cents. Flame away.

I love to kill animals, what can I say??? Mabye i'm just weird....and hunting in pa with dogs isnt as easy as you might like to think!!

J.Holly,not flaming you,but the way I see it,hunting coyotes with dogs,is really no different than hunting rabbits with dogs.The dog kicks up the rabbit for the hunter to shoot.Same goes for coyotes,around here the dogs will run the coyotes or drive them for the hunter to get a shot.Man has hunted game with dogs since probably the beginning of time,with primitive weapons.The dog hunting aspect hasnt changed much,basically the same techniques,but our weapons have changed and improved greatly,so one could ask the same about our weapons we use now,and how there un sporting because they give you more advantage over your game,and less of a sporting chance for the animal.For all the guys who havnt hunted with dogs,go hunting with someone who does and see for yourself what it's really like before forming an opinion.If you think it's the lazy way,your in for a surprise,I can pretty much gaurantee you by the end of the day you will be dog tired,whether your hunting coyotes,cats,bears or what have you.I never understood why some hunters are against others hunting methods that are perfectly legal.I've heard comments from other hunters about us callers,making the statement of what kind of sport is calling,it's like calling in and shooting a house dog.I hear hunters bashing bowhunters,saying what kind of sport is bowhunting,sitting in a tree waiting for an unsuspecting deer to shoot with a less than lethal weapon.Or some bashing trapping,saying it's not a sport to shoot something in a trap,its like shooting a tethered dog.But again,if we havent done it,we really cant say what it is,we can only speculate and draw a conculsion from our own experience and bias,if we have never done it.What ever trips a guys trigger works for me.

the way I see it,hunting coyotes with dogs,is really no different than hunting rabbits with dogs.The dog kicks up the rabbit for the hunter to shoot.Same goes for coyotes,around here the dogs will run the coyotes or drive them for the hunter to get a shot.Man has hunted game with dogs since probably the beginning of time,with primitive weapons
Around here I do not see to many hunters following their beagles with pick ups using radio's to encirle a bunny so someone can shoot it..There's a world of difference when "primitive man" hunted than there is today.

.What ever trips a guys trigger works for me.
That covers a lot of ground don't you think?

I had better add my .02 worth.

In this area, the dogs seem to be less than "well trained". 99% of the land is private and I have never been and probably never will be asked for permission to run coyotes across my property. These guys hunt areas, not land parcels. Is it the dogs fault that they tresspass? No. But it is the dog owners responsibility to control their dogs. I know for a fact that the dogs around here chase more deer than coyotes. Also, more coyotes are shot from the county road than from private property. Generally, like other parts of the midwest, there is a parade of 4X4's running together and tracking dogs. They don't care if they park in your front yard or anywhere else for that matter. They rut up the sides of the roads and have no respect for private property. I know this is a generalization but I am speaking from my experience only. I am very sure that there are responsible dog runners out there but it sure doesn't seem to be the "norm" for my area. I have had guys parking in my front yard, since we live on a hill, so they can see better. I have also had guys poking guns out of windows as a dog comes running through just in case a coyote came along. Not to mention the times I have rushed home from work in order to get a short evening hunt only to find a couple of pickups with hunters parked in front of the property I had permission on. Also, most of these hunts take place on a nice Sunday when I sometimes like to have a little cook out with the wife and kids and wouldn't you know it? Here comes a bunch of coyote hounds running across our property barking their heads off and scaring the kids half to death. Just one more thing, I get tired of going out of the house in the mornings just before daylight only to be greeted by a hound all curled up on my back patio/porch. That will make you look twice!

Yes, I have talked to the hunters and their answer usually is that they can't control where the coyote is running. I agree, but it doesn't make it any more pleasant to be around.

In an area where there are limited opportunities to hunt and even more limited opportunities to call up a critter, I have to say I am not too thrilled with chasing coyotes with dogs although it is completely legal if permission is granted and there is no shooting from the road.

Just my thought.
MG

Here in North Florida we run deer, fox , coons and coyotes with hounds. It's the toughest form of hunting I've ever seen and the average dog hunter works way harder at hunting than any other type of hunter I've ever seen.

They also feed and care for the dogs year round and burn oceans full of gas training, hunting and following their dogs.

Condemning dog hunting is just another form of hunter snobbery that I have absolutely no use for.

If it's legal and done with all the possible respect for property rights and safety I see absolutely nothing wrong with it and I intend to do it whether or not it offends tender sensibilities.

Most of this hunter snobbery is fueled by the antis trying to get us fighting amoung ourselves and it often works.

I support all forms of legal hunting and have found that the laws quickly ban hunting methods that give hunters a truly unfair advantage. As an example like they've banned catching wild hogs with dogs in north Florida because they nearly decimated the population and it still hasn't recovered very well after several years of the ban.

When they make it legal again and regulate it more closely I'll support it again.

$bob$

Condemning dog hunting is just another form of hunter snobbery that I have absolutely no use for.
I as well as others have stated hound hunting activity that they are aware of in their respective area's...Now to call it "snobbery" is a real stretch, seems like its "facts"...Are there hound hunters that respect property rights,hunting laws etc, I'm sure there are, I just have not seen them in my county.

Hunt with your dog, hunt with your truck ,walk,run,call, whatever trips your trigger If your not gettin any you need help,coyotes are not extetrminated by dog hunters,or callers or any other means.Whine and cry foul he gets more than me! Welcome to the real world boy!!!!!

Please let's hunt with dogs! Preferably the little annoying little yippy type of dog!

While we're at, let's try running yotes with those middle of the night yowling un-cut tomcats too.

Seriously, the only time I've ever been on a dog hunt was chasing coons while visiting in fl. Nothing unsporting about it! The coon got away and one dog had serious vet bills after tangling with it.

FLAME THIS! This is not story this is real.
POOF! NO HOUND HUNTING FOR BEAR, COUGAR, BOBCAT AND NO BAITING FOR BEAR. NO TRAPPING.
YES it happened here in Washington (yes the state)a couple of years back I wittnessd a self proclaimed hunter at a game commission meeting get up an state that he tried couger hunting with hounds and didn't like it, didn't think anyone else should. So, along with the anti hunters and the Hunters that did not support these methods of hunting the rest of us LOST THESE METHODS OF HUNTING.
GUESS WHAT a couple of years later we LOST TRAPPING (except live traps). This time we had more support, but not enough. Be careful of what you ask for and support all hunters, trappers and fisherman. We actually thought the anti's would pick on the trappers first, but they went after the hound hunters. The hound hunters were a small group and did not get alot of support from other hunting groups. then they came after the trappers. There was more support but not enough. Funny, it was by popular vote (both time) so everyone in Seattle, Tacoma controls the rest of the state even though the rest of the counties wanted trapping. Yes, I know writing in caps is the same a yelling, but no one listened when we lost hounds, baiting and trapping. I know this is happing in other states and if you do not start yelling now! no one is going to hear you. Paul

Back