running coyotes with dogs

Other than the fact that it decreases the population, I'd say no. Running them with dogs, while not a 100% kill rate, is almost a sure thing. If there are a couple of guys working together and they both have good dogs, the coyote will rarely get away, so all in all I'd say they get less "educated" than if they come to a call in pairs and one gets away, or one comes in and the shooter misses. I dunno, thats just my thoughts on it.

I think it sucks! Because around here they hunt everywhere they want. And none of those guys ask for permission. And that scerws me out of places to hunt

Originally posted by rem222:
[qb] I think it sucks! Because around here they hunt everywhere they want. And none of those guys ask for permission. And that scerws me out of places to hunt [/qb]
Very well said, coundn't have said it better myself !

Larry

I'll agree with that too. So as a landowner, if I catch them on my place I not-so-politely ask them to leave and its usually plain enough that they don't come back. Or if they do, they'll call and talk to me first.

Thank you for the reply. Were I have been hunting, The coyotes seem to be getting less and less. I found out the other day that people have been hunting coyotes with dogs were I hunt and I was wondering if that was the reason why I have not been able to call any coyotes. I feel hunting coyotes with dogs is wrong and should not be aloud in this state. (Wisconsin). Dennis.

Same thing has been going on around here the past few years. They use radios and vehicles to head off coyotes being chased by dogs. Since they aren't shooting from the vehicles they've been getting away with it. Not very sporting.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Good hunting y'all..Coyote 6974

I went calling the other day with perfect conditions in an area where I'd never hunted. The country looked like good coyote country, as does all of Kansas, and I never called anything in. Found out later that day there are a bunch of guys that chase them with dogs. They take 300 coyotes a year in this area. I'd say that hurts a guys chances of calling one in.

Yeah, I agree, if it's not done my way it should be outlawed :rolleyes:
And while we're at it, let's try to outlaw the use of dogs for upland bird, coon, lion, bear, and rabbit, 'cause after all it ruins my chances of getting any myself :rolleyes:
I hear that the anti-hunting groups are looking for recruits too!!!
IMG_0321.jpg

This was a day and a half in KS. As a group we saw some where around 45 coyotes :eek: So, it's not like these guys catch them all. AS a matter of fact, when I go back there calling, we call the very spots that they hunt with the hounds, and guess what, we have success! Maybe not as much as we would've had they not hunted the same area, but we have success none the less. There's plenty of properties that don't allow this type of hunting, find them and reap the benefits, but to be mad and want to do away with someone elses "way of hunting" is one step short of joining an anti-hunting group. :rolleyes:

I asked my wife if I could take her dog 'yote hunting to see if I could teach it to fetch 'yotes and bring them back to me.

She thought the short legs on her poodle would be inconsistant with the concept of beating the 'yotes back to me.....I don't know, maybe she was right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That was a good point songdog!! Up here in Saskatchewan we are not allowed to use dogs for hunting anything but birds from what I understand. How do you use the dogs?? Do the dogs kill the coyote or do they corner them and you shoot them??

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What the heck, I'll throw my hat in the ring.

I don't run dogs. Out here, I don't know of anyone who runs dogs after coyotes. They run them after cougars, bears, raccons, bobcats, all of which I like to hunt. I have to ask myself however, is my right to hunt any more important than Joe guy over here, even if I don't like him or his "legal" method of hunting.

Just because I don't like the way something is done, doesn't make it right to outlaw it. That is ridiculous.

You see, I rifle hunt both deer and elk here, but the muzzle loader and bow hunts are before mine, therefore reducing the number of animals that I may have to harvest. Also, making the animals more skitish. I think they should outlaw bow hunting and muzzleloader hunting so I have a better chance!!! How does that sound? Like I thought.

No I don't run dogs, never have, might some day. Is it ok to run them afer cougars? Bears? Bobcats? Coyotes? At least here, the answer is yes. ALl are equal animals in my book, only the first 3 have seasons.

I think the bottomm line is that we all have a right to hunt. A God given right to hunt. Some of us hunt upland game, some of us big game. Some of us prefer modern weapons, some retro.
But we all hunt. Sure there are those that make is look bad, and I mean poachers, rude people in general. Just because you don't aggre with one hunting method does not make it wrong.

I hope I don't come across as holier than thou, because that is not my attention. I just think people need to step back and realize that as people, we grow. Cities grow and places to hunt go away,so we all have to share those we have. if you own your own land, great, it is yours and do with it what you will I understand that too.
If not, public means public.

I hope this made sense,

C

I've always thought that hunting coyotes with dogs looked like a blast. I plan on trying it.

If you don't like it, who flippin' cares? Don't do it. But don't talk smack about someone else's legal means of hunting.

Jerrod

Well put songdog! I got involved in a similar discussion on this forum a couple weeks ago and it sounded just like arguments from the antis or the fly fishing snobs turning up their nose at people who fish with live bait.

Although a predator caller, I've had the pleasure to hunt coyotes with hounds on two occasions. What a riot! Anybody that says it's easy and involves no skill doesn't know a thing about the sport. What it takes to train and maintain a good pack of hounds is waaaaaaay beyond anything the jealous critics can imagine.....

On the other side of the coin I will add trespassing is an issue with some houndsmen that totally ignore private property issues. I've heard about of one heck of a confrontation over that issue on a neigboring hunt club!!!

Hey Rick Looks like you got to this one first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Any way.. I keep hearing people say that because it's leagal that makes it O.K. STOP LETTING THE LAW MAKE DECISIONS FOR YOU. Think for yourselves.

It bothers me when a bunch of hack's chase coyotes around here with dogs. They've got skill's to train dogs.........yay.......But those aren't hunting skills.
I could understand if your a new predator hunter and you just want to shoot a coyote. But then later on you may want to challenge yourself a bit.

Songdog, you beat me to it. I don't own any dogs, but hunt with some friends that are hardcore serious. They get coyotes I'll never call, and I get coyotes they'll never run. Our coyote population around hear is very heavy, with no sign of dwindeling. I belive what Q Wagoner wrote in that if you want good calling, give them a break from spring till fall.
Jlingle, I can hook you up with a friend that would be glad to take you. LTFB

Originally posted by 55gr-kill-pill:
[qb] Hey Rick Looks like you got to this one first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
[/qb]
Good to see you again 55 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey, different strokes for different folks. But, while defending the houndsmen completely, I will admit two things. Some take tresspassing to a new art form and areas that are run hard with dogs in my area are extremely difficult to call.

Coyotes become so darn truck and road shy that in an area like Michigan where roads divide land into relatively small sections, it becomes super tough to approach a calling stand without putting them on "full alert" from a very considerable distance. Personally, I completely avoid certain areas that I know get pounded by hound hunters.

I used to run coyotes with dogs but i have always did some calling. They run coyotes by sight. If they don't see them they can't run them. The last few years i dog hunted we would shoot 22 pistol to run the coyotes out of pastures to run them. after a few years the coyotes got educated to that and wouldn't run out. I call now where they dog hunt. They catch a few and i call a few. Been this way for years.I can go in a place after dog hunters have been gone a while and still call a coyote or two.DM

Back