RCBS Charge Master users

Originally Posted By: Yote NewbYou should calibrate it every time you use it. Mine sat for several months and when I used it recently it would drift when first turned on. Once I calibrated it the drifting stopped and after a few uses the drifting stopped when I first turned it on and it works normally again. I think I just needed to knock the rust off so to speak.

This!! Once you calibrate the scale, You Zero the pan, I just have a check weight (Berger Bullet) That I leave out. I always double check just to make sure it weighs 55 grains every time I put it on the scale. As I have seen my Pan weight very from time to time, But once I calibrate and Zero before every loading session, That bullet always weighs 55g on the dot..

Jason

Air density has a lot to do with it. Barometric pressure, Humidity and temperature changes things when it comes to reloading. This has been proven many times with Benchrest shooters. That is why they will load at the bench sometimes when they are shooting. Most winter air is drier. Even in a controlled environment like your house the air is drier in the winter than the summer. Moist air is denser thus the pan weight is at least a tenth different.

Now for a moment you would have to disregard the weighing of the charges. That is why they do not do it. That is why #27 on their powder charge will be used when say #30 is not grouping well.
But let's go back to the answer. Air can be heavier (because of moisture) and will settle in the powder also. Doesn't matter where you live or what kind of HVAC system you have.
For example if you left the lid off a pound of powder, even with a slight amount of humidity it will pick it up, and the weight will be different than if it was very dry, and the lid was only off for a moment and then replaced.
If that was the only factor involved then this would most likely not show up. But like I said before, their is a few factors involved. I agree with stopping fans or cutting off the air vent and letting the scale warm up, and calibrate it EVERY time I use it.
I have Harrel and Redding powder charges, along with my RCBS Chargemaster, and a couple of scales. Between the combination of the three, I can get as close as possible to what I want. This makes a difference in say long range shooting when near max or max loads are used. Why in the heck would I use different options? Because the RCBS is only within a 1/10 +or- So you could be off more than you think.
I have noticed the pan weight being different and have noticed handgun loads being slightly different when loaded, only using the RCBS Chargemaster by itself. I usually throw the first few charges back into the powder chute. To me they are sometimes off a little.
FWIW: Many years ago I noticed a Barometer and temp and Humidity gauge in this friends loading room. Asking him about it, He shared that the info was recorded each time he loaded and results where recorded also. This info was kept in a notebook and in turn helped him to produce much better loads for what he was going to be doing.
If you are not loading max, or near max loads and you are loading a set or standard load for ONE gun, then do not get overly concerned.
But if you are loading for some really accurate ammo then it is going to involve more than just this one thing. As you probably already know....

Last edited:
Tried a few things over the weekend.
First thing I did was re-level the scale,off a lil bit.second, I calibrated it again. Third, I ran over the scale and my bench down with a damp cloth to get rid of static if any. Seems to be good to go,well for about 20 rounds then the pan weight changed again. Re calibrate , good for another 10-15 loads, then scale acts up again. Took me 2.5 hrs to load 70 rounds of ammo .
thumbdown.gif

Last night I turned it on and watched it while I neck sized about 200 pieces of brass, never changed. Left on all night and checked at 8 am, read 0.0gr. 10 am it reads and changes while I watch 0.5,0.4, 0.5,0.6,0.7 then back to 0.0.

Less then an hour later it's reading 1.2, 1.3, then it goes to 0.5 and the screen light comes on !

Something is wack for sure. Either I have a power problem or my scale is nuts. Guess I'll call RCBS on Monday and see what they think.

Crazy.............

What little issue I had with mine initially was cured by wiping down the hopper and the rest of the measure with a dryer sheet. Remove the wind screen too as it appears to build static up.

Greg

Your pan most likely weighs the same that it always has but the sensor and other electronics are changing over time. I used to have one test fixture at work that was sensitive enough to spring and fall seasonal changes that I had to calibrate it at some point during each of those 2 seasons. It was inside and fairly consistently climate controlled but always trended that way. Are your 50 grain weights changing too?

The last year or so I have also noticed that my scale is fluctuating and I started warming it up for awhile before use and it seems to stabilize.

Originally Posted By: lyotehuntersounds like you need some ferrite chokes,they clean the signal from any outside electronics. check them out.

I'll look into it.
Thanks

Tim, I did same thing. as well as whipped mine down with dryer sheets. Im not much help on the pan changing weights. mine started at 150 but now stays around 150.3 but its been that way for while. Id call RCBS

Sounds like the same thing mine was doing. I don't really like the electronics. That is why I went bac to the balance beam.

Called RCBS and after a long wait I talked to a guy, he said it was static build up. Wanted me to wipe it down with a dryer sheet. I told him I used a damp electronics wipe, and he said no to use the dry sheet. So I got one from the neighbor, makes no dang diff. So I called them back, put on hold , then was told they would call me back. That was an hour ago, they must be busy....

The dryer sheet thing fixed mine from drifting like that. I don't use the plastic shield at all, seemed to make things worse and not better. Mine was always very stable in the house, our house has a concrete floor. Out in my shop with a wood floor I have to be very careful moving and shifting my weight around or it will cause it to fluctuate. Air currents as well, if you have it where a AC vent or something can blow on it.

I also leave mine on whenever I am in loading mode. If I am not going to be loading for a month or so I will put it up, but if I am loading every few days then I will just leave it out and turned on all the time. That way the electronics stay warm and consistent.

Those are just a few of the things that I have found with mine.

I've read if you wash the pan (mine is plastic with a funnel) with soap and water and dry it the static will vanish. Works for me.

The dryer sheet didn't do anything for me either. I have tried it and even warmed it, to try and get best and full effect. I still have static buildup, and several powders stick to the inside. I even pulled the dryer sheet through the drain hole and pulled it back and forth like I was shining shoes. Static electricity can build up in the air. I know you are not in the desert with the wind blowing but with dry winter air, there will be more static buildup.
JTPinTX is right! These things need to be on a stable surface. Letting them warm up, and keeping them warm is important. As stated I keep mine running for awhile before and keep it running when loading. Leveling them is important too.
But sounds like RCBS doesn't want to acknowledge a problem.

Air vent closed, wet towel hanging in the room, stable bench, scale leveled, no wind shield, whiped down with anti static, both wet and dry. No lights on, left on over night, metal pan. Next day it changes by itself(not in use) , sometimes .5 gr all the way up to 1.9 gr. I air dry my cloths in the house and some of my windows will sweat when cooking.

I'm going to put a meter on the power and check to make sure all is good. Think I'll take it to work and try a diff power source just because.

Thanks for all the ideas,guys !
thumbup1.gif

Yours is doing exactly the same thin mine did. I tried the dryer sheet also and it didn't work. All my stuff was solid and nothing I did helped. Hat is why I finally gave up. The scale was out of warranty and I wasn't paying to fix or replace it so I went back to the beams. I do have a charge master that my dad gave me but haven't used it much so don't know how it will work.

Originally Posted By: cherokeetrackerMoist air is denser...

But let's go back to the answer. Air can be heavier (because of moisture)

Exactly the opposite is true. Humidity reduces air density, all else (pressure, temperature) being equal.

Dry air is heavier.

- DAA

Got a call back from RCBS. I was given a few things to try and look for, that had been not brought up yet. All based on trapped static inside the unit.

Stay tuned....

Back