Predator Vehicles

shrek

Hey guys I'm looking at putting together a good predator rig. Currently we are using our 2005 4 door chevy but my wife screams everytime a stick touches it or it gets muddy. (Not sure when she turned into such a sissy but whatever)Anyways here is the deal I love our Chevy because it gets 25mpg on the highway and normally 18mpg or better when hunting. So what I want is the best 4x4 with 4 doors and the best fuel economy I can get. I'm looking or thinking about a Jeep Cherokee or something like that. I don't mind small lifts but have no plans for 35" tires or anything. Sorry ATV's and UTV's don't work for our style of hunting. Alot of times our coyote trips are 100+ miles crossing the desert then hitting the highway and heading home. So what do you use or what are your thoughts?

I have a jeep Wrangler,but you are right something with four doors would be alittle better. I think my next rig would be a Toyota crewcab pickup. I like my jeep but the only problem I have is when you have a yote or two to bring home it becomes a little too close for comfort!! I can still feel those fleas.....

Originally Posted By: fxproI have a jeep Wrangler,but you are right something with four doors would be alittle better. I think my next rig would be a Toyota crewcab pickup. I like my jeep but the only problem I have is when you have a yote or two to bring home it becomes a little too close for comfort!! I can still feel those fleas.....

haha. If I don't have a truck it will have a rack on it for gear and yotes.
grin.gif

Jeep now makes a four door Wrangler.The best thing about them is that they are still a Jeep, a real Jeep. Put a rack on the back and there you go. Even one of those hitch racks are great you can take it off when not in use,and they will hold alot more than coolers and coyotes.

Originally Posted By: BoomyHere's mine. 1996, 4.0 HO, 3.5" lift, 31X10.5X15's
002.jpg

Thats kinda what I was thinking. What do you get for milage?

That's a sweet rig Boomy. I like!

This is what I drove last year. (4 coyotes stuffed up there and not enough room)

YotehuntSept08013.jpg

YotehuntSept08009.jpg

This is what I drive now. (Plenty of room and coyotes are kept out of site)

P1020866.jpg

061.jpg

If you're getting 25mpg and it's a 4X4 I wouldn't change a thing. Tell the little lady trucks were made to use and not look at! Just because you use a truck for hunting doesn't mean it has to get trashed out. My 1999 GMC Sierra has leather, power seats and all that other plush stuff. I've got 140K on the odometer and it's been hunted out of since the very beginning. The truck looks almost as good now as the day I bought it. Washing and waxing do amazing things!!

IMG_0025-1.jpg

But it won't get it unstuck!
blush.gif

Bad time to ask. Somethings wrong in it. Right now 14-16, should be 18-20+. This is my daily driver with quite a bit of stop and go. It originaly came with 215's. Going up to 31's it isn't as fluid in stop and go's. Low end torque there is plenty. but I digress......they are fun, they are narrow enough that you can get them about anywhere a fourwheeler can go, and in my area they are light enough to go where trucks can not(boggy stuff).

i drive 98 blazer with roof rack fog lights rear cargo hitch and custom camo job in(in my barn) gets pretty good mileage for one with 195000 miles on it my yoda has been down for six months so this is my daily driver now

Love my Tacoma Double Cab TRD but it's really a two person calling rig. It starts getting crowded quick with three guys. It's quiet, easy to turn around in tight places and it gets around good with the Toyo M/T's I put on it. But even it won't compete with 25/18. That's darn good mileage for a full size crew cab. Is your truck the one with the kick down to four cylinder. That seems like a great set-up. Maybe buy Momma a cool car instead?!?

"Currently we are using our 2005 4 door chevy but my wife screams everytime a stick touches it or it gets muddy."

Sounds like the perfect rig right there. 4 doors and a built in caller.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Redfrog"Currently we are using our 2005 4 door chevy but my wife screams everytime a stick touches it or it gets muddy."

Sounds like the perfect rig right there. 4 doors and a built in caller.
grin.gif

LMAO!!!!

Originally Posted By: letsgohuntnHey Lawdog, who did the graphics for you? They are kick A$$!

Thanks! I had them done @ www.buzzgraphics.net
There's an idea Shrek. Wrap the one you've got and forget about scratches and mud. The wrap protects my paint better than expected and it has a 4 year warranty.

I'm running 33" Cooper Discoverer STT's getting about 18mpg.

With the 460 that is in it it will pass everything but a gas station. I really only use it when it gets nasty out.

PICT0124.jpg

Main vehicle Dodge 2500 crew cab diesel with 35" toyos.
PICT0117.jpg

I hunt alone ALOT so recovery is my biggest objective. if I get lost out 20 miles from the nearest paved road I probbly wont see anyone for a while. so I built my rig accordingly its also my DD but I'm youg so I dont mind the road manners and rough ride. 2000 Jeep wrangler, lifted about 5" with upgraded steering, 35" tires, Lock right locker front and a FORD 9" in the rear with a detroit locker, chromo shafts all around. 4.88 gears. A superwinch with a Body Armor front bumper (lots of deer and elk out here) I have a rear tire swing carrier and bumper to keep my interior with as much space as possible. Planning on building a roof rack to keep the dogs in my dead dog box. (girls sometimes ask why my jeep smells like a dirty dog.) I love it for what I use it for (almost exclusivly hunting since I have school the rest of the time) about 14 MPG while in town 12 hunting and 16 free way

Originally Posted By: brian.243get a toyota 4 runner

I second this. Depending on the year they cann be easily made into the most capable off road vehicals on the planet.

If you need 4 doors get a second generation one or higher, 87 and up for model years. They suffer a little off road since they have a independant front and are harder to lift, but if your not interested in that it shouldn't be a big deal.

The v6 puts out enough power to get you, and your gear where you need to go, with out being a big hit on the wallet. There are 67 billion of them around so finding a used one in good shape for cheap(ish) won't be big problem.

What every you get consider a locker for the rear axle. The part costs about $2-300 for the mechanical ones, but requires someone who knows what they are doing to install them.

The difference in off road performance is night and day. You'll find that you can go through stuff in 2wd that would normaly require 4wd. I don't care what you get, budget for a locker and you'll be amazed at what it can do.

Back