Predator light

Originally Posted By: bobeanoare you guys using a halo shield?

My friend uses a pred light and I use a smart light. Both with halo shields. Makes a huge difference. Especially when I'm by myself. I can shoot my rifle with the light on my hat while keeping light off the gun. Well worth it.

Originally Posted By: smilinIBDoesn't anyone see the $270 price tag as a negative for an LED light? PM me for details on a bridge I'm selling, location is flexible.

I don't have a predator light but 270 isn't a lot of money for some people. my cell bill is 100 bucks a month. 270 dollars just isn't that much money for something that you will use for years. If it is there's plenty of other options.

Originally Posted By: TakemOriginally Posted By: bobeanoare you guys using a halo shield?

My friend uses a pred light and I use a smart light. Both with halo shields. Makes a huge difference. Especially when I'm by myself. I can shoot my rifle with the light on my hat while keeping light off the gun. Well worth it.
What is the halo shield? Is it made or bought? Link?
Thanks
Wags

IF I can shoot with the hat light I will. No reason to be changing this light on, switch that, etc.

Originally Posted By: TakemOriginally Posted By: smilinIBDoesn't anyone see the $270 price tag as a negative for an LED light? PM me for details on a bridge I'm selling, location is flexible.

I don't have a predator light but 270 isn't a lot of money for some people. my cell bill is 100 bucks a month. 270 dollars just isn't that much money for something that you will use for years. If it is there's plenty of other options.

My point wasn't people being able to afford it, it was that $270 for a plastic LED light defies logic IMO. Your cell bill is another subject.

You say a plastic LED light like it is a cheap wal-mart pice of junk, I have not found it to be the case as I own one. I use it relentlessly and have hunted with it in temperatures ranging from -20 F to 70 F. It has always performed perfectly without a glitch. No bulbs to blow and rechargeable so no batteries to switch. I've seen it thrown about 20 feet into the air and after it landed on the ground light right up. I think you could run it through any normal abuse and it will keep on ticking. The cost has to be weighed against how many $50 lights you will run through because you aren't satisfied or you keep looking for something that works better for you. I'm not saying the Predator light is for everyone, but it works great for me and I'm a cheap bastard...lol The last light I bought was 20 years ago when I bought a nitelight 12V, I haven't seen anything until now that made enough of a difference to justify spending the money.
Gage how much you will useit and what you will use it for and how much you want to invest, that will answer you question about how much to spend on a light. Most inportantly get the best light you can afford and get out and hunt and have a good time doing it- after all isn't that the point instead of relentlessly debating the merits of Chevy vs Ford.... Good luck and kill some.- Matt

here you almost always have to keep the animal in the light once you get it in the halo.....
ive held my headlamp in my hand bringing in coyotes and recently a few bobcats i cant shoot yet....as long as i hold the rifle and bring it up without movin the beam around alot i can merge into the scope....i can shoot and have shot with my headlamp sideways...which i wear a band no hat....makes it way easier.....to shoot through the scope....than a hat...but shooting through a scope with a headlamp is not easy at all...or a hat....

your gonna get the beam kicking in and out of the scope...flashing lighting up the barrel...scope you name it....

i think for a shotgun hunter it cant be beat....ive put a response on a weekend hunt with the same light...and one brighter that had a battery pack.....this light AND a wireless gun light is the ticket....so owning both the top selling predator lights is the way to go...

theres 2 good lights out there....but a headlamp with no backlite... is hard to beat for scanning...as you dont need to move anything but your head......but i still recommend a gun mount light....

if i owned the predator light i would wear it into my setup scan with it with my hand and hold it again the left side of my stock when shooting....that was the only way i found to use the one i tryed for a weekend which was exact as the predator light.....

my friend has the barrel light bracket for a nite lite....he puts the light in the bracket and scans with it...its wrong but lethal...and 1 light does it all...

if theres a different way to use it that im unaware and dont need 2 lights help me out because im thinking of geting one....if i have to use it the best way ive found...im stickin with my nitelite as it will push a red beam far better...be nice if they had the red light like the kill light and had the same type price....

a hunter could put one on the scope and use the one on his head...and be covered...because many times...theres not time to adjust a light while shooting...a mounted gun light is dead on when you hit the switch....

will there be a red led in them in the near future? Not sure if a red led would keep the PL...with a long burntime...but it does have a far better burn time then 1.5 hours......

so even if it had a 6 or 8 hour red led burn time...it would be super....one on the gun and 1 on the head for scanning....would be hard to out do as far as advancements in lighting for fur hunting...

ive killed many fox as a kid with a dim white flashlight and a open sight 22lr....

since deer spotting has become super popular...and non fur hunters burn predators far into the woods....there spooked throughout our fur season.....with a bright white light...

a dim white may be different...coons that we have called for years with a red lense...in the same field....turned and bolted...20 yards coming at us....

many have came to the call within feet over the years at that field when we used a reds lense....if anyone in SWPA...wants to show me they can bring fur in constant with a bright white light...i would need to see it...so i think the PL needs a red version...

im certain in northern NY....you can call in fur that may never have seen a light at night...where here in PA... thats not usualy the case...

but the headlamp with no wires is a big advancement in predator hunting...and a coon hunters dream come true...

i think as i said 2 of them would be great....but hunting with 1 is not easy....and i was using adapted barrel mounted lights 39 years ago.

I dont feel its a cheap walmart light...though walmart lights have gotten better over the years.....
but i dont think its a stand alone predator hunting light...in my opionion....

Originally Posted By: smilinIBOriginally Posted By: TakemOriginally Posted By: smilinIBDoesn't anyone see the $270 price tag as a negative for an LED light? PM me for details on a bridge I'm selling, location is flexible.

My point wasn't people being able to afford it, it was that $270 for a plastic LED light defies logic IMO. Your cell bill is another subject.

OK, just so I can keep track. It is ok to spend more money than you have to on a house, gun, real estate, scope, cell bill, truck. Is there anything I missed?
Look, I'm not bustin' your balls.... please don't be offended. Honeslty... I'm not trying to be a prick. We all understand you think this light is over priced. It may be. But we own it/ are buying it because 1) we want to, 2) we can, 3) it has features we like. ....
So, please don't piss on our post toasties.
Thanks
Wags

BTW.. how many times have you used this light?

It Works. Use one light to spot and to shoot, right off the hat. Thats all.
101_0020.jpg

DSC00947.jpg

DSC00943.jpg

DSC00915.jpg

DSC00762.jpg

000_0017.jpg

000_0018.jpg

thFox21.jpg

117_0045.jpg

117_0057.jpg

Originally Posted By: smilinIBOriginally Posted By: TakemOriginally Posted By: smilinIBDoesn't anyone see the $270 price tag as a negative for an LED light? PM me for details on a bridge I'm selling, location is flexible.

SmilinIB this light is not some plastic LED. Its a durable rugged light, like Mcdonald said which has worked under -20 to 70 degrees. Just the other day if fell from my bag while I was in my tree stand and unlike other lights was not hurt scratched or anything.

If you dont want to drop $270 for a light then don't...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wagspe208OK, just so I can keep track. It is ok to spend more money than you have to on a house, gun, real estate, scope, cell bill, truck. Is there anything I missed?

I guess so. I didn't say that. Someone else compared the light to real estate, guns, etc.
Actually, it was you!

Quote:Look, I'm not bustin' your balls.... please don't be offended. Honeslty... I'm not trying to be a prick. We all understand you think this light is over priced. It may be. But we own it/ are buying it because 1) we want to, 2) we can, 3) it has features we like. ....
Thanks
Wags

I'm sorry to hear your cereal was ruined by my having an opinion. It sounds like you think you paid too much.(my opinion)

Quote:BTW.. how many times have you used this light?

I don't know, never kept count.

Last edited:
shooting through a scope with a hat light is not easily done....and theres better methods by far....

i hunted all last night...

we did this test.....

my partner stood by three signs i stood down the road at least 250 yards from him....

these picks are from a strait camera no zoom...

the pics on here before i wondered if they were zoomed...noone said...so i figued a 1x camera would be the best to test

the white led was the brightest light shinned at these signs but made them glow the least...it lit surrounding obstecles that need not be on a incoming coyote....

we put a thin amber dj gell paper over the same light...it lit the sign way better than strait white...with far less a beam...as any led goes to crap when you put a lens on it....

then we used a night lite with a red lense....you could not see the beam from where i was down the road...but it lit the light far better...and didnt light a ton of surrounding vegetation etc....that could scare a coyote coming in....

the led beams were at least ten times more viewable from my stand to the signs...as i said...the red nitelite beam...could not be seen but it lit the signs...with far less...souroundings that a coyote or fox could see and bolt....

thats why i was asking if it will ever have a red light like the kill light..i dont want to strap a flashlight with 1.5 burn time to my head for scanning...

with the lumins being as high as previous posts the PL has more lumins...but runs 10 times longer...so if it were red im wonder what the run time would drop too...still should be more than 1.5 hours...

2q1iffb.jpg

2cejfpz.jpg

wkpgy8.jpg

Last edited:
Shooting with the predator light on your hat is really not that hard if you use shooting sticks. I would also suggest you try amber lens since its a little brighter than the red lens. If you want less splash use the halo shield from (moose knuckle..I think is his screen name)it tightens your beam right up. You guys from Pa talk a lot about lights.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smilinIBOriginally Posted By: wagspe208OK, just so I can keep track. It is ok to spend more money than you have to on a house, gun, real estate, scope, cell bill, truck. Is there anything I missed?

I guess so. I didn't say that. Someone else compared the light to real estate, guns, etc.
Actually, it was you!

Quote:Look, I'm not bustin' your balls.... please don't be offended. Honeslty... I'm not trying to be a prick. We all understand you think this light is over priced. It may be. But we own it/ are buying it because 1) we want to, 2) we can, 3) it has features we like. ....
Thanks
Wags

I'm sorry to hear your cereal was ruined by my having an opinion. It sounds like you think you paid too much.(my opinion)

Quote:BTW.. how many times have you used this light?

I don't know, never kept count.

I was saying some people pay more for something than others think it is worth. You seemed to think it was fine with the examples I gave, but not with a hunting light. Maybe you missed the point.

I don't think I paid to much. Time will tell.

So, you have used the light. Awesome... what did you think of its performance? Disregard price. We know you think it is overpriced. How did it perform?
Thanks
Wags

OH, I support your right to give your opinion as an American.

well i have 1 on the way,i also have a light force 170.as soon as i get out to try the predator light ill post how it went.i know its not going to light up the whole state like my light force.but i hunt alone alot if i can scan and shoot with it and it picks eye up away out there ill be happy.i may still use the lightforce to shoot,i wont know till the time comes.

Originally Posted By: McDonaldIt Works. Use one light to spot and to shoot, right off the hat. Thats all.
101_0020.jpg

DSC00947.jpg

DSC00943.jpg

DSC00915.jpg

DSC00762.jpg

000_0017.jpg

000_0018.jpg

thFox21.jpg

117_0045.jpg

117_0057.jpg

thats a nice pile of fur

I think maybe we both missed the others points. My original comment was "Doesn't anyone see the $270 price tag as a negative for an LED light?". Not to many did. That's cool.

So, you have used the light. Awesome... what did you think of its performance? Disregard price. We know you think it is overpriced. How did it perform?

It performed well, but doesn't suit my style. I have used the "twisted and raised light on the head" technique and absolutely hate it. If you wear(uncomfortable)the light like that, you'll get sick from scanning with your eyeballs rotated to the 10 o'clock position(right handed shooter) in your eye sockets. If you wear the hat normally, then move it as mentioned above, you will need a lot of luck and a shotgun. Just my opinions based on my experiences.

I wish you the best of luck with your light.

Originally Posted By: NY Yote28Shooting with the predator light on your hat is really not that hard if you use shooting sticks. I would also suggest you try amber lens since its a little brighter than the red lens. If you want less splash use the halo shield from (moose knuckle..I think is his screen name)it tightens your beam right up. You guys from Pa talk a lot about lights.

lol...i called and killed 2 in one day in Mckean county near the NY. line.....5 hours apart......
i killed my 2nd coyote in 1.4 years last night....and its been alot of stands....and it is that way for alot of us PA. hunters....

where i live like i said just when the season comes in deer spotters are burnin the fur to death...they keep the bright light on them...make all kinda noise you name it...hard to night hunt with a light where theres alot of spotting.....and our average properties are about 100 acres.....thats southern PA....

Back