predator gun choices. need some help

Axis II (has to be a II not a I) or a Ruger American are really hard to beat for the price... especially for a rifle that is going to take a beating.

After that the higher up Savages, Vangaurds and Tikkas would be hard to beat. Anything nicer than that and you may upset yourself when you damage them.

223 kills moose every year so if you can't kill a coyote you need to learn to aim. Anything smaller would also work depending on range. 22 magnum is good to around 100yrds (good, it can kill a lot farther than that).

As for long range killing... anything 150yrds or more... no one is doing that without a lot of practice (or BS). So unless you plan on getting a lot of practice shooting in those ranges are probably not going to happen. Especially on something smallish like a coyote that tends to move around a lot.

Once you get out to 150+ yards tiny things start have a major effect. Wind, travel time, bullet drop and even your heartbeat become much more of an issue the longer the shot is.

Well, since my 223 is too small, and the 243 is a single shot, the 204 shoots lighter bullets than the 223 so there is no way that it will work,??????

I found the problem, I dont have a 6.5.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksI found the problem, I dont have a 6.5.

Nor do I, but hopefully I will change that in the somewhat near future!!!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-FV-VARMINT-RIFLE/1994604.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dsavage%2B12%2Bfv%26CQ_st%3Db

I have several of the above and they are all .5 moa rifles in stock form with hand loads.

Last edited:
I am personally in the same boat financially. I can't spend 800-1000 bucks on a rifle yet. I shoot a savage Axis 223 and .308 without the Accutrigger. I have taken many crows, coon, headshot rabbits, etc with the 223 this year. I really like the gun and would buy another one. If you are in the market for a cheaper gun like the Axis or American keep looking around. I picked up my Axis for 250 bucks and the guy only shot it a couple times. I picked up a .308 for 300bucks. I know 300 is not a huge deal but it was a bit less than at my stores around here. Accuracy on the two Axis guns I have is very good. I'm no marksman probably average at best but the accuracy of the Axis is way better than I can shoot. I hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: Jason BOriginally Posted By: sandy hicksI found the problem, I dont have a 6.5.

I just ordered a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor! I hate runners,this should help!

Originally Posted By: jamesdOriginally Posted By: Jason BOriginally Posted By: sandy hicksI found the problem, I dont have a 6.5.

I just ordered a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor! I hate runners,this should help!

These are a pretty tempting rifle. The rifle/caliber combo is about perfect IMO.

Originally Posted By: sandy hicksWell, since my 223 is too small, and the 243 is a single shot, the 204 shoots lighter bullets than the 223 so there is no way that it will work,??????

Now you got me thinking I might need to load up my 257 Weatherby Mag. I really hate runners.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: sandy hicksWell, since my 223 is too small, and the 243 is a single shot, the 204 shoots lighter bullets than the 223 so there is no way that it will work,??????

Now you got me thinking I might need to load up my 257 Weatherby Mag. I really hate runners.

Yeppers, 72g of R#22 with a 100g Nosler ballistic tip will put hair floating down for a while, no runners, but you do have flippers! Hee Hee!

I was actually hoping for instant vaporizing.
smile.gif

I dont have a 257wea, however a friend just gave me 120 pieces of weatherby brass for it. He doesnt reload, so he brings it to me.

Is that a good load ackleyman or did you pull it out of the air. I might just order up some dies and take his rifle for a test drive. The 257 was supposed to be Roys favorite. A 150 at 3300 is pretty spectacular out of my 300. Makes big gooey holes.

Back