predator gun choices. need some help

champ198

Been trying to get back into predator hunting for a while now and after having to sell most of my stuff a while back because of a divorce I'm starting to get back on track a little better.
I'm wanting to get a decent predator gun bit can't do anything very expensive yet.
Was hoping to get some info from you all and see what guns you would suggest that are fairly cheap. I had a savage axis in 223 a while back and it was a decent gun but thought I would ask you all and see what else some might suggest

How would you define "can't do anything very expensive yet"? Your definition probably differs from mine. Perhaps a Ruger American Ranch or a Weatherby Vanguard S2?

Last edited:
I'm sure I will hear it from all the self proclaimed expert marksmen, but anything other than a .223. I think someone else said it best the other day, it just isn't that good of a coyote cal from my experience. IMO people shoot a .223 because the ammo is readily available and cheap. Another Axis would be fine but buy it in 22-250. Something about that cal just whacks the crap right out of a coyote.

I won't ding you for that, everyone has different experiences so use what works. I will say that they are both the same caliber (22) but the 250 will push that same bullet quite a bit faster.

Originally Posted By: littledawgI'm sure I will hear it from all the self proclaimed expert marksmen, but anything other than a .223. I think someone else said it best the other day, it just isn't that good of a coyote cal from my experience. IMO people shoot a .223 because the ammo is readily available and cheap. Another Axis would be fine but buy it in 22-250. Something about that cal just whacks the crap right out of a coyote.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: littledawgI'm sure I will hear it from all the self proclaimed expert marksmen, but anything other than a .223. I think someone else said it best the other day, it just isn't that good of a coyote cal from my experience. IMO people shoot a .223 because the ammo is readily available and cheap.

Thanks for the laff... dat's down rite funny !
lol.gif

Although the 250 may be slightly more " forgiving" I wouldn't go as far as to say the 223 is anything less than a great coyote caliber. It really comes down to personal abilities. I mean say my 50 grain bullet is scooting at about 3200 fps and yours is 3700 ( just guessing) is there really anyone out there that thinks a projectile traveling at that weight and velocity will not kill a coyote? And before you give me the bullet choice argument I really don't think there is anyone who will buy it. I'm all about a 250. I would like to have one of everything but a 223 rem is a fine coyote caliber.

One of the big things that pulls me to the axis is the ease of swapping a barrel for a different caliber down the road. We have a ton of coyote around here but we also have a pretty good population of cats and fox as well. And the 204 has always really caught my eye but I know the axis doesn't come in 204. But you can buy barrels for them. That was one thing that is making me lean to the axis. I have had a 22-250 in the past and had no problems with it at all.
How well is a 204 caliber on the cats and fox as far as fur damage? Coyotes I don't care to keep the hide since they just aren't worth much but cats and fox are so I w poo uld like to keep them if possible

I am a die hard 220 Swift fan and since you reload, that is a great caliber for varmints. There are many choices and I have others in my collection but my "go to" rifle has always been the Swift.
Good luck in your choice.

I use a Vanguard S2 Sporter most of the time for coyotes because I like the way the cartridge bucks wind. Pelt damage is not an issue. I have an AR with an A2 stock and 20" barrel in .223 that I sometimes use. It has a Timney 3 lb trigger. Over the last year I have become more and more intringued by the 22-250 and will get one eventually. With what I have I don't need one but who cares. In my view the .204 Ruger, 22-250, .223/556, 220 Swift and .243 are excellent coyote cartridges. So it comes down to a matter of which one floats your boat.

ahh.. but when you throw Foxes and Bobcats into the mix that is where the game changes. A 220 Swift or a 22-250 may not be the best option. IMO It would be hard to beat a .17 Center fire for this situation. Capable of Coyotes, and easier on Fox and Bobcat. JMO

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357ahh.. but when you throw Foxes and Bobcats into the mix that is where the game changes. A 220 Swift or a 22-250 may not be the best option. IMO It would be hard to beat a .17 Center fire for this situation. Capable of Coyotes, and easier on Fox and Bobcat. JMO

If you are concerned with fur damage I agree. If you are not then I stick to my original premise.

Back