PLEASE READ!! Knives and blades forum??

I don't know much about steel....ok so I don't know anything about it but from everything I have read S30v is the way to go, which I has already decided on. Thanks Mike

Use enough gun, no need for a knife !
grin.gif

My stuff's all old.
But so am I so what the hey.
Here's one ya wont see allot of.
Picture001.jpg

Long story behind this old Estwing and if I told you how many Deer and Elk it's been involved in field dressing/skinning you'd call me a liar anyway so I won't bore you with it but I assure you, there isn't a better piece of steel out there.
Trouble066.jpg

I've owned this knife for 50+ yrs and can't imagine how any of the fancy new steel will last longer or preform better a half centry from now.
Not that I don't appreciate the new stuff, and like rifles I pretty much like em all, but IMO a good ol piece of carbon steel's awfull hard to beat where knives are concerned.

I've got a pile of knives, but few are anything special. I have a Ruger special edition in the tin.
PICT0234.jpg

PICT0235.jpg

Two filet knives made by a guy that my dad worked with. The ironwood handle is the wife's and the white (pakkawood I think?) is mine. These are daily kitchen use knives I've had for probably 15yrs.
PICT0215.jpg

The deer horn handle was my dad's that he made when he was a kid. It is a KABAR blade he found after a house burned down and the horn came from one of my uncle's deer. Next to it is Navy MKII KABAR given to my mom by a retired Navy guy that my dad worked with. The horn knife was nicknamed "The Bone Crusher" because my dad used it like a hatched to bust the pelvic bones on deer. It has been retired to the gun cabinet for safe keeping.
PICT0223-1.jpg

My great grandfathers EDC pocket knife in a walnut case with the 38 pistol he carried in his boot. Both have been handed down and I'm the 4th generation to possess them.
PICT0230-1.jpg

My dad's first skinning knife, a Gutman from Solingen Germany. The blade is pitted from where he kept it sheathed with blood on it as a kid.
PICT0224.jpg

My Lakota Fishawk that I bought at a gunshow years ago. The guy did a filet on a piece of notebook paper, then let me do it. Wish they hadn't gone out of business. Since I don't get much fishing done anymore, this is what gets every morsel of backstrap out of the whitetails
wink.gif
PICT0214-1.jpg

A Statue of Liberty commemorative that my dad had with his name engraved in it. It was made by Buck when they renovated the statue. The copper emblem on the side is from the copper off of the statue. Some of the proceeds from the knife sales were supposed to help pay for the renovations.
PICT0228-1.jpg

PICT0229-1.jpg

My deer skinner. Bought several of these for myself and my deer hunting buddies. They work great. It is a Forscher skinner with a nice wide tip. Skinning deer and quartering is all it gets to do.
PICT0216.jpg

I have a Outdoor Edge Swing Blaze that I use for gutting deer, but don't have a picture. For years I have gone through a bunch of "gutting" knives and not been completely happy with any of them. I bought my buddy one last year and I fell in love with it and had to get one for myself. It makes deer seem like they come with a zipper. You'd have to try and bust the gut on a deer with that knife to screw up. It stays in my pack and serves as a gut knife only. There is also a Gerber Exchange a blade saw in my pack for building blinds, clearing limbs for stands, and sawing bone. I also have a Kershaw Ken Onion Leek as my EDC. I like the looks of some of these customs and think I'm going to need to get me one to skin my fur out with before long. I considered a Havalon, but there is just something cool about a non-replaceable blade knife. Now I guess I'll be watching the knife sales
unsure.gif
. Thanks a lot guys
sneaky2.gif

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Heres a knife question. Who knows of guy who can revive an old Case folder. It needs the blades cleaned up and new scales. Can one just re-polish CV blades and their ok

Shane, I remember the pics you showed me a while back of the knife. I just so happen to "know" one of the best knife repairmen alive. He was an authorized field repairman for Schrade for 35 years. He is getting up in years but still does fantastic work, although he does not always want to to it. He did a small job for me a couple of months ago and I was more than happy with the work and the price. Getting him to accept the work is the hard part. He makes up so many knives a year for sale and then takes it easy.

I could polish your knife up real good for free if you send it to me. You would be better off letting an expert try to repair/match up the scale, or maybe even just send it to Case........

I'd love to see a dedicated Knives and Blades sub-forum. I enjoy all kinds of knives and like seeing customs from around the Country and the World. Like someone mentioned before, as hunters, we all use knives and some of us collect a few, or maybe more than a few.

I've just started cutting my teeth building knives and its as addicting as call building, if not more so. Here are the first two knives that I finished under the direction of my buddy and neighbor that happens to be a fine knifemaker.

This is a piece out of 12c27 with Buckeye Burl handles and a sheath I built for it. The lanyard is capped with a Bubinga (African rosewood) keeper. So far I've skinned 4 boars out with it and am very pleased.

2012-05-10_18-43-24_176.jpg

The next blade is a basic piece from L6 tool steel, the first I finished from the ground up and my everyday carry. Ironwood handles hold up to the daily wear and tear and fairly hard use. Nothing fancy, but a great working blade that is tough.

2012-05-31_15-47-06_342.jpg

Big +1 for a blade forum!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunIs that a Ruana Charlie??
tt1.gif

Yes,,,, good eye.
I bought it used at a gun show back in the early 70's.
Don't really know how old it is, but I've been told by "experts" that it's from the mid 60's.
Skinned one Deer with it and put it in the safe.
I actually preferred that old Estwing. LOL

Bought this Vanguard about 20yrs later.
I like it allot too. Really good steel for a $50 knife.
Trouble009.jpg

Here's some more eye candy (that was handed down) for those that like old cutlery. I even have a really cool set of meat hooks that completes the set, but they're out in the skinning shed.
Still use the bone saw to cut the hocks off. I could probably split the joint just as fast but that old saw's just cool, and still sharp as new.
S7301093.jpg

And a couple more vintage cutting tools.
006-2.jpg

Oh,,, and if ya can't tell, I think a blade forum's a great Idea.

Nice Workman!!!!
Not in your league, but here's a few store bought blades I've put handles on and given away as gifts.
noname070.jpg

S7301196.jpg

Just finished this one. It's my first bone handle. Not perfect, but I'm learning.
038.jpg

These old carbon steel Green River blades are the best. The supply's drying up, but I've got a few more that I'm hoarding.
This one's perfect for the camp box, and the kitchen knives make great gifts.
I even gifted a couple to myself. :>)
001-1-2.jpg

006-4.jpg

Yea,,, we definatly need a blade forum.

I've got a big ole' meat saw just like that Charlie. Got it at a farm auction years ago. I broke the handle on mine last year when I dropped it on the floor. It's hanging up until I figure out how to fix it.

Very nice looking work. I have put some custom handles on knives and done some snaping/refinishing etc. , but never actually started with a raw blank of steel. I think I may try my hand at making a blade out of an old file first and then take it from there......

Looks like you did a pretty decent job Charlie
thumbup.gif
Us carpenters should at least have some form of a clue. I just have basic "carpenter" power tools(but lots of them), and would love to have an actual "real" grinder like the "real" knifemakers use.

That Ruana is a blade I would LOVE to own.
drool.gif
I have a Russell GRW blade that is over 100 yrs old and in tremendous shape. The blanks you speak of I have seen before. As a matter of fact, I may even be able to locate some. That nice handle on yours has got me wanting one now.

I found out the hard way that my nose does not like grinding bone much. I love bone handles, but dread working with it. I have a lot of desert ironwood on hand currently, and also some mulie antlers I plan on using for some hidden tang knives......

I prefer the German eye to any of the cases I've ever had.

Just dug this one out. Had it for a long time. Don't even remember where it came from or where I got it. But I've used it a ton. It's not pretty but I like it.
[url=http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z480/coyotehunter1/cc73d756.jpg t=_blank]http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z480/coyotehunter1/cc73d756.jpg[/url][/IMG
][img]http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z480/coyotehunter1/287656e4.jpg

I like the idea! Looking at all the cool pictures actually sparked an interest for me.
I dont have many knives but a couple that belonged to my dad, one of them is similar to one pictured and says Solingen Germany on it IIRC.The other is one that someone made for him. I`ll contribute with a photo later.
You all may scorn me...lol but I would kind of like to get a Havalon Piranta. Guy that showed me how to gut/field dress a deer used one. I had forgot all about it till reading through this post.

That is a good looking knife, Gary. I love the sheepfoot blade and the tang stamp is way cool also. Schlieper has been making knives for over 200 yrs. Other than my Wusthof kitchen knives, I think I only have 1-2 German made knives. One is a mother-of-pearl Simmons Hdw. "Mosquito" and the other is a fancy looking "coke bottle" Winchester knife from the 70's. I lost the only Puma knife I had. The Germans do have some good knife mfgs., but I just try to concentrate on buying USA made knives, simply because that is one way of limiting my spending(not that it really works, but hey).

My only "weakness" is that I buy Taylor Cutlery "Elk Horn" and "Bear Creek" knives that were made in Japan in the late 70's and early 80's. The Jap steel in these knives is top notch, and so is the fit and finish. What's more, is they have some really cool designs. You can find Taylor knives with beautiful stag handles and quality steel for a song. It is my belief that these knives will soon begin to obtain collector status and go up in value........

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Heres a knife question. Who knows of guy who can revive an old Case folder. It needs the blades cleaned up and new scales.

Shane
Look up Dale Orvett of Orvett Customs. He's a mod over on AAPK.com
He did a great job on an old worn out Schrade small jack knife for me. (Removed the pen blade and extra spring and installed stag scales) I couldn't be happier and plan on having him give the old wobbly 330 pictured here with it the same treatment one of these days.
He's a really nice guy and his prices are more than fair.
002-7.jpg

Back