Patterning coyotes, really?

Al, although these few pics & the viewers knowing the wind direction the days they were taken. Is but a piece of the total pie.

Most often, a coyote that is bedded will not be able to see to it's up-wind. I've watched over a couple thousand coyotes in my time. That is what I seen.

They will use structure to cut the wind. Often when they are bedded down. Against or near a fencline drift. Or just below a sharp hill top. To block the wind. It becomes obvious they can not see. Or see very far to their up-wind.

I use that behavior to my advantage when I stalk then crawl in on one for a shot.

Speaking of wind. Even the slightest of winds. They still will be on the down-wind side of structure. No matter how small that structure may be. Coyotes don't like any wind on their face. They'll tolerate wind on their shoulder or backside. But not their face. [Unless, that wind is mild & warm]. That is the only variable I've seen. Which is rare btw.

I've watched many coyotes traveling/hunting from one down-wind area to the next. When they were out in the wind, they were angling/cutting the wind off of their face as they traveled.

The higher & colder the wind, the more angling/cutting to get to the next down-wind area.

I've "never" seen any coyote spend, but very little time out in a direct wind.

Seen some bedded down out on a flat area with bitter cold stout winds. Even then, they had their shoulder or backside against the wind.

Newguy fox & coyote hunters need to understand this behavior. It can only help.

Last edited:
I have seen that very behavior near where a hollow tops out on a ridge. The wind will be coming from that direction, but they can still smell what they can't watch, and watch what they can't smell. Smart dudes for sure.

Kirby I was suprised that last winter I did pretty good on south wind days! I could have taken 4 one day on a south wind, they started out in one section.

Yeah, South winds. I rarely ever use to see any coyotes bedded out on the open areas with a Southerly wind. But around 6-8yrs? ago or so. I started to see quite afew. I found that odd, why the change?

Some have remarked about Red Fox specifically, laying out in the open on a Sunny day. Their opinions were the reason why. Was that Red Fox prefer to bed on the Sunny side of structure. To soak up the Sun's heat? Which means a North wind, in Winter time.

I found that theory to be inconclusive. I can't say for a fact why a coyote or Red Fox decides to be bedded out on a Sunny day vs. an overcast day.

One thing I have seen pretty consistant. Is a coyote will tolerate bitter cold overcast days more than a Red will. During that type of unpleasant Winter weather. I suspect [most] Reds are holed-up in a culvert tube or an old den site. Or other hard structure.

I have found both canines often prefer Sun & mild winds. Flipside, I've seen many Reds & coyotes, bed out on the open hills over many yrs time span. On bitter cold overcast days with very stout ripping winds. An enigma.

The only patterns I have been able to determine, is that they definitely have prefered bedding areas. These areas are used year after year and are very predictable. Once you develope an eye for these areas they become easy to find and are universal throughout an area.

Early season coyotes, before the vegetation drops and hunters hit the woods behave totally different than late season coyotes that have survived the big game season.

So do you think that even if some coyotes are removed from a preferred bedding/denning area that other coyotes will simply move in to fill that void or will new coyotes establish their own bedding/denning areas in their own location?

I'm interested in this behavior based on the limited amount of land I have to work with. I'm going to go out next week to attempt some scouting on land where I called one last season and have heard multiple animals howling there. I want to see if they are still holding in that same general area here 5-6 months later.

CR, what I have seen local pr's do. Is they choose a small general area to bed. Small as in, a few feet or inches to 50yrds or so in radius.

Some pr's will bed in almost the same exact spot, numerous times. While others will bed in that small general area. Of course no matter where they bed. It mainly depends on the wind direction that day. As to exactly where they bed.

I killed an old male from a pr that often bedded in one small spot[within mere feet]. I didn't see the female for a long while afterwards. Then months later, there she lay in that small spot again. Within mere feet of where she use to lay.

Yearling pups when grouped with a parent or parents. Will sometimes lay very close together.

Last edited:
Over a 3yr span I watched another local pr. There is a large Southern sloped hill. This large hillside is roughly 3/8 mile in diameter. With an Eastern & Western slope.

When the wind was from due North. They would bed on the Southern slope directly down wind. In-alignment with the wind.

When the wind was a NorWester, they would bed on the SouEastern slope. In-alignment with the wind. Same with a NorEaster wind, they would then bed on the SouWestern slope. They would use the curvature of the open hillside slope to cut the wind.

Last edited:
That is what makes my area so interesting - it's all flat and heavily covered.

The only breaks in the ground will be the occasional dike along along a ditch or canal or dried up creek bed.

However, all this talking about how they lay up in reference to the wind just reinforces to me how to plan for my call stands in a logical progression based on wind direction.

Did you find that the bedded coyotes preferred to lay out in the open as opposed to laying within a wood or thicket?
Of course, if they were laid up within a wood or thicket, you wouldn't see them.
wink.gif

When I had younger eye's I spotted many that were hunkered down in deep snow or groundcover/[grassy draws & timber] from long range. I'd see one ear sticking up or a sliver of their backside. Or see movement. Thought they could fool me by hiding? LOL!

I'm sure I missed many that were bedded in ground cover over the yrs. They don't "always" bed where they can see cross or down-wind. BUT, most often do as that is their "norm". Those are the coyotes I most often see. As they DO prefer to see cross & down wind when they are bedded.

As for useing creek beds. That is one of their favorite travel routes. Around here the creeks rarely dry up. But in Winter they'll freeze over. As long as the creeks aren't drifted shut. They'll use them heavily. Especially if they are shot at or persued.

Creek beds offer them a good hunt area for small vermin. As well as an excellent wind brake. Not to mention they stay hidden when they travel. Et will use them when bedded down. Expect to find them on the lee-ward side of the creek bank, from the prevailing wind. ie; wind from the North blowing over an East-West creek.

Coyotes will bed on the North side/[out of the wind], most often in the above scenario. As that provides the best protection from the wind. Lee-ward side, just like on the down-wind side of structure.

I would definately focus my main attention on a dry creek bed or an open lane in that heavy cover.

Last edited:
BTW CR, coyotes do travel into the wind. As they do they will cut/angle that wind by zig-zagging or neandering. RARELY will they go directly/[straight line] into a wind for very far anyway. Without zig-zagging or cutting.

They will also cut/angle the wind as they travel away from the wind as well. Which is typical of them.

CR, as for calling along a dry creek bed in your terrain scenario. Say for example the creek runs Weat to East, wind from the North.

I would then set-up to call on the far end of heavy cover along that creek. Facing down the length of the creek that is mainly in the heavier cover area.

If by chance one responds from that cover along/or "in" that dry creek bed. I'd expect it to hunt the down-wind/ or Southern side of the creek. If it is hunting on the creek bank rather than on the creek bed.

Of course one could repond from anywhere in that area. But the above call stand set-up, would be my 1st option.

Last edited:
That's probably a pretty typical scenario, Kirby.

I find during the December-March period, we're usually under a prevailing NE, N or NW wind and I will find myself starting at the southern ends of the areas and calling back "up" as I head north, usually trying to stay along the edges where the private land starts.

I am already mapping out fall call stands for the areas that I hunt based on the wind conditions. I know most of the land I hunt like my back yard and based on what I've learned here, have a pretty good idea on how I want to capitalize on those locations. I am very serious about bringing the first coyote home!

I found a place late last year that I had not explored and it consists of multiple ravines with higher grass and oak hammocks all around. Knowing what I know now this will be one of my first stops during small game. I know there are coyotes out there as my buddy and I jumped a couple by accident (pre-calling days). I can't wait to put into place the knowledge that has been shared with me on PM.

Originally Posted By: Crimson RaptorThat's probably a pretty typical scenario, Kirby.

I find during the December-March period, we're usually under a prevailing NE, N or NW wind and I will find myself starting at the southern ends of the areas and calling back "up" as I head north, usually trying to stay along the edges where the private land starts.

CR, If the wind was from a Northerly direction. "I" wouldn't walk into a stand area from any Southerly direction. Unless that was my only option. As coyotes spend a good amount of their time looking down-wind.

What I'm getting at in the above scenario I remarked about is. I would opt to call cross-wind. Calling down the length of the creek. In other words calling cross-wind. As I could see the creek bottom as well as both creek banks. Such as, the dry West-East creek bed with a North wind scenario.

Last edited:
Ahhh. I see what you're getting at. Well, as you know I'm on public land, so I'm kind of at the mercy of traffic, both foot and vehicle, so I have to hike out pretty good to get away from the action as I'm sure the coyotes do.

But I see what you mean. I don't want to expose myself to those southern bedding/cover areas if there is a north wind. While at the same time I can't come in straight upwind otherwise they'll smell me.

So trying to keep the wind across me quartering is my best scenario - basically keeping to the "side" of the wind if you will.

Coyotes in central Iowa. Land sections consist of the following. 1x1, 1x2, 2x2 & 1x3 miles square. Typically surrounded by roadways, mostly gravel roads. Also most typically these sections are 1x1 mile square.

Coyotes tend to spend most of the time, near the central portion areas. I often see them hunt, travel, play & bed in that general area.

I've seen few coyotes hang around the outer 1/4 mile fringe areas of those mile sections. Most often they'll use that outer quarter mile fringe area as a "buffer area" from mankind. Keeping their distance from man.

As I slowly drive the gravels I spend most of my time. Scanning the inner 1/4 mile core of the sections. I'll often stop on a high hill to scan 360. As I'm looking at all the angles up-wind, cross-wind & down-wind. For any that may be in transit.

Most all of the coyotes I've ever seen where on the down-wind slopes of the foothills. During all hrs of the day.

Last edited:
Not necessarily patterning, more of a behavior.

Over the yrs, I've watched many adult pairs on the move. Whether they were hunting or just going somehwere else, such as a bedding area.

I don't recall a time. I did not see the female leading the way. Females are more wary IMHO than are males. These females as they were in the lead. Would pan left to right continously & pause often. As they scanned the area up ahead. They would also while paused, turn their head/ears towards the up-wind area. Which their view is often obstructed by terrain structure.

They were listening/scenting their up-wind I believe. Then they would continue on.
If/when a female would pause for awhile. The male then would often come up by her & pan around. Then often the male would take the lead for a little ways, then stop. Then the female would resume the lead again.

When I watched them bed down. The female would routinely bed down after the male. She would also stay alert for quite awhile even though while bedded. Whereas, the male would ball-up shortly & relax.

IMO, if you spot a pr of bedded coyotes. Et one is balled-up sleeping & the other is alert with it's head up. It is a good bet the one that is alert is the female. That behavior is Not etched in stone, but more than likely.

Last edited:
"Such as, predicting their movement from day to day. This was during a wk long time span of hunting/observing daily. These observations were done on a pr of local coyotes. During that time, they traveled/hunted almost the same exact route daily. Well for three days in a row anyway."

Kirby, you are spot on. AT least I think so.

EXACTLY what I've observed. Three days, then gone. Same place, same time for three days then who knows?
I've killed lots of coyotes by trying the same place/time the next day after I saw one. Just wait and they seem to wander through. Didn't even have to call...

Last edited:
Back