One Cooper or Two Savages

I'd go with the Cooper, I've owned 2 Savage rifles and they were fairly accurate out of the box. But both had issues which is why they are no longer in my posession. I'd rather have quality then numbers.

A 10fp in .223 that wouldn't feed reliably 25% of the time. And this is supposed to be a rifle for LE?

A 12 VSSF that would string shots vertically. Very expensive rifle to have issues. I replaced it with a Remington 700 VS that shot much better.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeNice wood is well....NICE.
Not what he was asking. The Phoenix stock is not your average "plastic" stock.

If the stock isnt wood./...then what is it? "Space Age Polymer"..etc..etc..."i.e plastic"

So it literally is 6 one way 1/2 dozen the other...As far as how I will be using the gun(s)...The 6.5 would be used for manly hunting deer and hogs and some occasional metal gong ringing...I'm not a big paper guy but I want to know that when I do punch holes they all at least shoot a .5 at 100(3shot)...Im not hard on rifles but at the same time I use it for exactly what it is a "tool"...I not concerned so much about pretty but more function...Its not the nostalgia of the the Cooper it the confidence, just like the Savage is more about its ruggedness...

My days of buying CF Savage bolt guns are over.

Nothing against Cooper. Coopers are nice, but nothing special for the money, IMO. You can build a rifle just as good, on several different actions, with a custom barrel, to your own specs, for the same price.

I have to say I'm interested in the choice of the 6.5 Creedmoor chambering. Why not 260 Remington? Do you not reload?

2000$ could build you a pair of hunting rifles on Rem actions....depending on stock choice.

600 for 2 Rem actions.
600 for 2 Premium barrels.
400 for 2 Ti stocks.
300 for chambering 2 rifles.
----------------
1900$

Just my .02$

Originally Posted By: sully2Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeNice wood is well....NICE.

If the stock isnt wood./...then what is it? "Space Age Polymer"..etc..etc..."i.e plastic"

Let me make this more simple for you.

A Cooper " plastic" stock is not the same a JUNK "plastic" stock that comes on a Steven 200 or a Rem SPS for that matter.

I've been doing a bunch of reading on the 6.5CM, 6.5x47L and 260. I have the wants for a sporter weight (8# all up) rifle in 6.5cal and am leaning hard on just the straight 260. thinking along the lines of a McM classic with a 23" rem sporter contour(ish), or equivalent, of around .6" at 23". I'd run 123Scenars for everything.

I do agree with "rebarrel an action of your choice" . That's what I would do, but I'm just working on the ? at hand.
grin.gif

OK Tim, if my choice was one cooper or 2 savages i'd go Cooper.
blush.gif

I don't want/need any rifle larger than a 280rem, well maybe a 7wsm, or maybe a.....
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: brdeanoOK Tim, if my choice was one cooper or 2 savages i'd go Cooper.
blush.gif

I don't want/need any rifle larger than a 280rem, well maybe a 7wsm, or maybe a.....
lol.gif

laugh.gif

As long as it wasn't a single shot ,huh Brad.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI have to say I'm interested in the choice of the 6.5 Creedmoor chambering. Why not 260 Remington? Do you not reload?

Yes I can reload for it just not a fan of Rem brass and didnt want to have to neck up brass...And the Ballistics are virtually identical...

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: sully2Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeNice wood is well....NICE.

Let me make this more simple for you.

A Cooper " plastic" stock is not the same a JUNK "plastic" stock that comes on a Steven 200 or a Rem SPS for that matter.

Let me make this even more simple... I NEVER SAID IS WAS! Now did I?

Back