One and only one........

I have always liked the 300 WM. Flat shooting, long distance and can buck a head wind.... Have used one for the last 30 years and never had a problem with it.

257 Weatherby would do the trick! accurate, hits with authority,Mild recoil for what it is, Lighter gun. I just got mine but am so very impressed with it so far My Sako 7mm mag just got retired :p Never thought I would retire a Sako for a Vanguard but it has happened. I shot a very nice whitetail here with it this past week at just over 300yrds and DRT no questions. Is it better than the 7mm imho yeah less recoil and does the same job.

I hate these threads because if any of you make too good an argument and my wife sees this thread, I start getting some SERIOUS questions about my safe full of guns
sick.gif
laugh.gif

--Duck911

I like the Weatherby rounds. I had a 270 Weatherby in a M70 sporter. Very forgiving round to load for. I imagine the 257 is the same. I currently own and opperate a 25/06 that is a solid performer.

The largest game mentioned is elk. With timber elk I lean toward a deep penetrating bullet. Plains elk you need a high BC bullet and penetraion isn't (AS) critical.

30 caliber is hard to beat and the ole 30-06 or 300wsm would be my choice there.
I am however a fan of the 25 and 6.5 calibers but the 6.5 have a big advantage over the 25's for bullet weight and penetration.

The three that I find interesting are the 6.5-06, the 6.5x55 and the improved version of the swede.

I would opt for the 6.5-06 with a 8 twist and be very happy.

I never shot anything other than whitetails with the 270 Weatherby. I can tell you the Hornady 150gr Spire point did a fantastic job of tipping them over. In my estimation it may very well be the ultimate deer round. Pleasant to shoot,easy to load for and good reach too. With well constructed bullets it isn't too destructive up close either. I will tell you from experiance,130gr bullets of less than substantial construction make BIG holes in whitetails! I've seen entrance holes as big as my fist. If I wasn't playing the preferance point game for Elk,I would take the 270 weatherby and never look back. I'm just not totally sold on the round for less than ideal angles at the longer distances for Elk. I have it on my short list. It isn't out of the running,but it has some stiff competition.

Another vote for the .280 remington. For an all around gun, a custom .280 built on a stainless remington 700 action would be hard to beat.
drool.gif

Just put togther a rifle with similair goals myself. Ended up with Stainless remington 700 action, 24" stainless fluted barrel, spiral fluted bolt all in a B&C medalist stock(basically an alaskan-ti clone). Topped it off with a Zeis 3.5-10x44mm conquest in the talley lightwight 2pc. mounts. Gun is 6.25lbs itself and 7.5lbs with optics, sling and ammo and shoots lights out. Built mine in 30-06 caliber and loaded up two handloads a 150gr sierra gameking around 3000fps for CXP2 game and a 180 Nosler Accubond at around 2750fps for CXP3 game. Also considered the 280 rem, 270 WSM & 300 WSM which would all be perfect as well.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI'm not sure on a cal at this time,BUT !
There is no way in it would be just a 30-06.

Make something uncommon.

I certainly understand the desire to not get bored with your weapon, But I was thinking along the lines of what do you want when the zombies come(SHTF gun). I'm going with something that has a huge ammo availability, and confidence that it will kill what I encounter when I go into hiding in the Mountains.

Don't want my brains munched on because I decided to watch Sponge Bob instead of sitting at the reloading bench
grin.gif

Chupa

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeLOL !

Brains ? well I'm safe.

Same here brother
grin.gif
. Those rotting brain suckers would probably catch Mad Cow Disease from me
lol.gif

Chupa

Originally Posted By: Tim Neitzke
w00t.gif

lol.gif

BTW...
I've found a good use for '06 brass....ready ?

338-06 , I hope I don't NEED one ! lol

Naaa, Zombies don't require much killin. Just last week I center punched a raging pus bucket in the cranial vault with a .22lr at a lazered 12yds. Had the mange REAL bad! Wasn't worth skinnin......let'm lay
whistle.gif

Chupa

Originally Posted By: scotts94_z28Just put togther a rifle with similair goals myself. Ended up with Stainless remington 700 action, 24" stainless fluted barrel, spiral fluted bolt all in a B&C medalist stock(basically an alaskan-ti clone). Topped it off with a Zeis 3.5-10x44mm conquest in the talley lightwight 2pc. mounts. Gun is 6.25lbs itself and 7.5lbs with optics, sling and ammo and shoots lights out. Built mine in 30-06 caliber and loaded up two handloads a 150gr sierra gameking around 3000fps for CXP2 game and a 180 Nosler Accubond at around 2750fps for CXP3 game. Also considered the 280 rem, 270 WSM & 300 WSM which would all be perfect as well.

Any pics? If you don't mind me asking,what did the build end up costing?

Originally Posted By: Dogwood CreekOriginally Posted By: scotts94_z28Just put togther a rifle with similair goals myself. Ended up with Stainless remington 700 action, 24" stainless fluted barrel, spiral fluted bolt all in a B&C medalist stock(basically an alaskan-ti clone). Topped it off with a Zeis 3.5-10x44mm conquest in the talley lightwight 2pc. mounts. Gun is 6.25lbs itself and 7.5lbs with optics, sling and ammo and shoots lights out. Built mine in 30-06 caliber and loaded up two handloads a 150gr sierra gameking around 3000fps for CXP2 game and a 180 Nosler Accubond at around 2750fps for CXP3 game. Also considered the 280 rem, 270 WSM & 300 WSM which would all be perfect as well.

Any pics? If you don't mind me asking,what did the build end up costing?

Not at the moment but I can get some this week. Ended up costing me just under 2K for everything.

If it had to be one and only one, I would choose the 30-06. Preferably in the Kimber Montana 84L - when they arrive.
I'd load 165gr Partitions and top it off with a 6 power Leupie set in Talley LW's.

Back