One and only one........

Dogwood Creek

Rifle. Ah the age old debate. Would you,could you,what if? Well,I'm wanting to build my ultimate rifle. Your sugestions and thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

The subject of this little project will be called upon to take PA Whitetails,western Mulies,Barbary Sheep,Elk and Black Bear. Not too light,or too heavy. It should wear a premium paralax adjustable scope,and wildcats are welcome. I have at my disposal both Remington and Winchester actions. Blue,stainless,standard length and magnum. What say ye? No holds barred. What would you build if you could have only one?

i know i will get some crap for it, but i love the 300 win mag. It is very flat shooting, can take on any animal you encounter in your travels, and has a huge assourtment of bullet selection to load up or down (i typically shoot everything with a 180 Nosler Accubond)

Remington action, HS precision light wieght stock, Leupold VX-(enter amount you would like to spend here
smile.gif
) and a good sling.

Just my tastes though.
Fin

Already got it. My Remington 700 ADL in .30-06. Ain't much in North America I can't kill with it and ammo can be found at any shop. Mark 4 LR/T 3.5x10 M1 on top set in Badger rings. It's tough, it's big.....what's not to like?

Only other rifle that comes to mind is a Garand, wouldn't mind having one of those either when the zombies come.

Chupa

338 Win Mag based on one of your mod 70 actions in McMillan stock. The 210 gr. NP shoots almost as flat as the .300 WM and gets there w/great authority.

Regards,
hm

280 Rem, all you'll need for what you listed and virtually every hunting bullet on the market is available in 7mm.

I just realized I don't own a bolt 30-06, just have to make do with my Ruger #1 '06 or my Garand (for when the zombies come, LOL), at least 'til I can rectify that situation.
Mark
EDIT - oops, forgot the 03-A3!!
M

Last edited:
.375 H&H, hands down for me. Take down mice to elephants. I posted in the "biggest" forum that it is the only big/medium game rifle I own. Suprisingly good ballistics. As cheap to load for as anything else. I am very impressed w/ the .257 Weatherby as well though. Also as much I would hate to admit it plain ol' 30-06 would work too(yawn). But the .375 puts thin skinned animals down w/ authority. Also damage less meat due to the velocity not being as high as the "fast magnums". Mine is a Weatherby Mk V synthetic. I have plans for a Mcmillan stock and cerakoting for the barreled action(varmint rifles keep eating that fund). It wears a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x w/ Leupold rings.

Last edited:
If it had to be only one, it would be a 7 mag. I would set it up to shoot 180gr. Bergers. Because,they have the best Ballistic coeficient out there for a major manufacturer, that I know of anyway. 26" to 30" barrel with a 5.5 to 22 power Nightforce with 20 moa rail. And, a Jewell trigger. Will take all the animals on your list from 100 to 1200 yards with the right guy behind it. Watched 3 of my sons take mule deer this year with the same 7mag. One at 503 yds, one at 536 yds and the third at 848 yds with single shots. Was truly impressed.

If I could have 3 rifles I would go 6mm x.284, 7 rem mag or 7mm rem ultra mag, and then a big 338. Somthing like a 338 Lapua Improved.

Have fun with your project and let us know what you decide.
grin.gif

Like the 257 wby but for Elk and sheep in a mountain weight rifle would have to go with the 300wsm or 300saum with a syn stock and a 22" tube sporting a 4.5x14. Choose your medicine 125gr to 220gr.

Might give the 6.5mm-06 a look.

The 6.5mm 140gr. Nosler Partition is a giant killer.

Also you did not say what bolt face is in your actions. Standard? Magnum?

Originally Posted By: Dogwood CreekYee Haw! 338 Lapua Improved. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

That's what I was going to suggest. Except it may fall into the, "it's a little too heavy category."

6.5 swede or 6.5 swede ack imp......

s/s barrel......jewel or shilen trigger.....i would select an older rem 700 action (trued up) with a sako extractor installed and a steel floorplate (blind or drop - wouldn't matter to me....larger sized base mounting screws and some other stuff as i thought of'em.

Back