Oh G.D.!!!! I won't be able to sleep tonight!

These little dudes pack a punch themselves.I got hit by one in the finger man it was pretty painful.Its a buck moth catepillar

dbac0979.jpg

We don't have scorpions here, but we have our fair share of spiders. Our indoor spiders are usually brown recluses or daddy long legs. I don't mind the long legs, but I can't tolerate the brown recluses.

We had brown recluses very very bad in our house when we first moved in, but DE around the perimeter and ortho home Defense Max inside sure seem to clear them up!

My wife is like you, she can't sleep for days if she sees a spider. Unfortunately for her, when we first moved in we would see/kill three or four brown recluses per day! She is so bad about it, that the girls that she works with will get pictures of spiders on their phone and slide it across the table to scare her!

Puss+Caterpillar1.jpg

If you ever see one of these little things, which are about 1-2" long and look like a baby tribble from Star Trek, run the other way. This is the puss moth caterpillar, considered to be the most venomous caterpillar in North America. A buddy of mine who is a surgeon set his arm down on one while he was mowing grass under a bunch of oak trees. The thing nailed him so badly, he was in excruciating pain for 3 days which was not relieved by narcotic painkillers. The pain traveled up his arm all the way to his shoulder and also affected his motor function in that arm to the point he could not do surgery. I once lightly brushed against one with one finger and had pain up to my elbow for a day.

Puss moth caterpillar

Last edited:
About 3 years ago I was bit on the face by a black widow! At the E.R. they told me I couldn't take the anti-venom or the other stuff for it because I'm a type 1 diabetic, just had to tough it out. I was even interviewed by the CDC because they didn't have a widow bite to the face on record. Took 2 months for the neurotoxin to work its way out of my system, had muscle cramps in my back that felt like my ribs were breaking.

When I went to the ER, they were adamant that it was a recluse and I was scared my face was going to rot off. But when my muscles began to seize, they knew they were dealing with a neurotoxin which is a black widow. Chupa thats some scary sh#t...

This is a funny post. Chupa is the MAN when it comes to rattlesnakes. No irrational fear. Confidence and knowledge. But, this little guy upsets him.

On the other hand, I am like a scared little girl around rattlesnakes. I wear snakeboots in December (seriously). When I see the picture Chupa posted, I think "no biggie".

Funny.

Originally Posted By: GJJThis is a funny post. Chupa is the MAN when it comes to rattlesnakes. No irrational fear. Confidence and knowledge. But, this little guy upsets him.

On the other hand, I am like a scared little girl around rattlesnakes. I wear snakeboots in December (seriously). When I see the picture Chupa posted, I think "no biggie".

Funny.

I know! I once had a vivarium at the foot of my bed that housed a Jameson's Mamba and slept like a baby, I see a scorpion crossing the sidewalk and I jump higher than Jordan.

What's that about?

Chupa

We get them all the time in Arizona...actually take the black light out nightly with a rubber mallet to pound them on the walls while they try to night hunt. Only way to get rid of them is to remove their food source, so you have to spray, drop granules, whatever it takes to move those bugs to the neighbors yard.

DE is great all around for the perimeter of the house since it works like fiberglass to cut through the exoskeleton and dehydrate the critter in a couple days.

Some fun can be had with scorpions though, get a long set of needle nose and put 2 in a jar then dump just a little rubbing alcohol on them...they will go nuts and start stinging each other. Couple drops of gasoline on them and a match is always a good time too. Funny how we work so hard for a humane kill on certain creatures yet love to torment others.

On a side note, the sting is usually harmless for people and dogs...about like a bee. The problem is if you have a reaction they can be bad and the anti-venom is costly.

Back