Official Update Thread!

I just spoke with Byron at 9:30 this morning. again no change. They are scheduled for an MRI and meet with the doctors today. Keep her in those prayers!

Earlier records from previos bout read identical to records from this past week.

The pressure in the brain is considered High-normal, but still "normal".

Thdoctors are going to start SLOWLY weening Raegan off the sedatives and note any changes/responses.

The last time several years ago, Raegan just woke up.

Let's pray it happens again.

8PM.
Call from Byron.
The doctors have start weaning Raegan off the sedatives.
A short while ago a nurse pinched one of Raegan's toes and SHE WIGGLED HER TOES!
They did it again and SHE WIGGLED HER TOES AGAIN!

I let out a whoop and scared my cat.

Byron is a little bit aware of what all PM and others are doing for Raegan with all our prayers and some of the fund raising and he told me to tell everyone that he is humbled by all of it. The tone in his voice cracked a bit when he said it.

This is the best news they've had to date on this emotional roller coaster ride.

as of 8pm tonight Raegan moved a toe as response to having her toe pinched on both feet.they started weaning her off of sedation and the ICP didn't increase which is good, so that they may continue to wean her off of sedation.while only a subtle improvement it is still an improvement.
hopefully the trend will continue so that they may get to take her home soon.
Byron wants me let everyone he is fully aware of all the support he is receiving ,but still has not had a chance to get on the internet.
from Byron
"Byron and the whole South family asked me to express a heart felt thanks.You guys are truly a class act."
hopefully near future will get to come to PM himself!
Keep the prayers coming!!

sorry Jay didn't know you had posted ,But I was excited as was everyone listening as Byron spoke!
Prayer Works!

Just talked to Byron at 4:30pm Mtn time,

Raegan was started on steriods,but still on some sedation. She is starting to move a little bit on her own without being stimulated by the Doctors.

Byron wanted me to tell you all, how much this is appreciated... He is humbled and doesn't even know how to begin to express his thanks.

He asked to have Everyone keep the prayers coming.... he knows they are working and Please keep them up !

Scott

Last edited:
Sat evening....They are weeding Raegan off sedation to allow for more accurate testing on Monday. She is slowly responding more as a result by as an example moving her toungue stc. though not awake. Prayers are still needed. Thanks

Beat me to it Rod,

I visited with Byron, Lana, and Raegan today for awhile. It was awesome to see Raegan move her fingers and squeeze her moms hand. Like rod said she is not awake yet, but after coming out of sedation has moved her legs, toes, head, hands. arm, well pretty much everything. Movement so far has been to touch, tickle or agitation.

Like Rod stated they have Raegan on Steroids now to try and knock out the swelling. Raegans pupils are non-responsive right now, but that could be from the pressure in the brain affecting her pupils and her ability to wake up. If the swelling goes down they are hoping she will make leaps and bounds. It may take a little while for Raegan to kind of regroup, but it is an exciting time, as she is moving and may start moving alot more. The last couple days have seen improvement each day so lets pray that trend continues.

Byron and Lana are overwhelmed with the outflowing of support from you guys. They really didnt have the words to describe what they fealt. But they did say that the class that you guys have is what sets PM above all other websites out there. That speaks volumes.

Take care,

Todd

2-18-07

I talked with Byron for a few minutes this aftenoon. Raegan has been moving a little more today . She is still not awake. They are giving her some sort of steroid to combat the swelling in her brain. Hopes are high, and prayer are welcome. Much thanks were conveyed for all the support and prayers you all have given.

To add to Lance's update, Raegan is scheduled for another MRI tomorrow and this will be compared to the earlier one.

Raegan is completely OFF the seditaves now.

She did have a fluctuation (rise) in blood pressure for a bit but that has since subsided.

2-20-07

Jay talked to Byron who had talked to Lana. Raegan's eyes/pupils responded to light stimuli. This is the first time this his happened . Slow but steady progress. Keep the prayers and good thought coming.

My Mother and I went to the hospital to see Raegan and Byron, and I have to say, to me, she is looking a little better. Some of the puffiness around her face has gone down and she is moving her head, tongue, toes, and legs a tiny bit more. My mother bought a little angel bear from the gift shop that plays the music to “You are my sunshine” and put it on the pillow next to Raegan’s head. While the music was playing, the corners of Raegan’s mouth turned up, ever so slightly to make a very faint smile and her tongue moved a little as if she was possibly trying to say something.
Last night they did another MRI of her spinal column to see if there is any inflammation there. The results of this MRI probably won’t be available till some this afternoon. When I hear something I will let ya’ll know.
I want to thank ya’ll for your continued concern and support and mostly for your prayers. We serve an awesome God and we know that he is in complete control.

Sincerely,
Brian South

Last edited:
Just spoke with Byron and Raegan's spinal MRI showed nothing to be concerned with. He also stated that she is moving a tiny bit more and that here left eye is responding some from light stimuli.

Brian

PS.
They removed the shunt from her head (the pressure has been stable and in normal levels) and shampooed her hair.

Brian

Last edited:
Some repeat to above update.

Yesterday’s news was saddening to the point I didn’t make a post because it was grim and I didn’t know what to say.

Today’s new, however, is very encouraging so I won’t dwell on yesterday.
Last night another MRI was performed on the spinal column and it was very good.
The information derived from a catscan resulted in the doctors removing the equalizing tube from her head. More good news.
Raegan is moving more which is encouraging (but still not conscious).
The doctors are going to try a new medicine, the name of which Byron cannot pronounce.

Yesterday, Lana was back at home getting caught up as best she could on business orders and such. She is back in Dallas at the hospital as I type.

Tanner is fine. He had an ear infection that was part of the reason he was up vomiting early Monday morning.

A third MRI will be performed today in order to compare to the other two.

The MRI can sometimes provide readings that is contrary to what is really happening in that Doctors frequently treat the patient because the patient may be improving when MRI readouts may suggest something else. When a function is hindered or lost, it was explained to me that the brain will re-rout signals in order that functions continue. The bottom line is that oftentimes tests are inconclusive. I hope I got all this correct.

Raegan is moving around even more and has some reactions to light stimuli. The doctors will be removing the breathing tube today because her signs tell them that she doesn't need it anymore.

Every day has brought a little more movement than the previous day.

She is receiving a dose of gamugobulin (???) that will boost her immune system capacity.

Back