NYS Coyote Hunters

Hayzer,

I taught firearms instruction for the basic police course at GCC's RPTI (Rural Police Training Institute). I did it for maybe 8 or 10 years before retirement. We did most of the classroom and range instruction at our county range where we had the facilities to do so.
I enjoyed it.
The only FBI training I attended was Firearms Instructor in 1987, and Sniper/Observer and Fieldcraft Training in 1996 & 97.

It was all good.......!

Regarding Letchworth, I've hunted there for several of the years I've lived around here.....since 1981....possibly 8 of the years I've spent hunting in the park during their open season. I hunted in the area known as "the hogsback", and just north of that in what the local's call "the bowl". It takes a nice long hike to get in and out of there, I'll tell you.
During those years I've spotted many coyotes. Even before they were seen commonly out of the park.
I know that Butch's area/property is really loaded with them, so I am looking forward to it.

For him to ask me to hunt it....it must be bad.

I'll keep you posted.....
Bob

Well tried again last night and this morning without any luck. Last night I got bumped by a gentleman out on his four wheeler. Super nice guy. Told me that I could alos hunt on his property (he was riding on the adjoining property where I hunt) and even went on to show me where he sees coyotes travel through.

This morning I didn't go out until just before 7:00. Went to an area I haven't tried yet. Set up along a power line cut. Did the "less is more" starting with the woodpecker distress. After three volleys and no takers, I hit the grey fox pup distress. Waited about 15 minutes then moved to spot #2.It looked like the perfect set-up. Thick thorn apple brush to my left, small secluded hay field out front, hardwoods beyond that and thick young trees along the power line. Something was going to die. Tried a similar volley but with the squirrel distress. After 25 minutes, kicked in the female invitation. NO TAKERS, but I'm thinking about going back there tonight. The spot looked too pretty. Right now it's windy as h*ll! Shouldn't say this, but a little snow and some crisp weather would be welcome about now.

Hope your guys are having some luck.

Perri

Oh: DOD tried that howler last night. Man do I need more practice!!!!!

freebm,

Anytime you want, come on over this way and we'll go after em and you can get in some practice.

I wanted to get out today, but had some other things to do that had to get done. I agree about the snow and cooler weather, but this weather sure is helping the pocket out. :)

Hi all! Im from Tonawanda, N.Y. area (near Buffalo) and new to coyote hunting. Hope to learn some pointers from you seasoned coyote hunters and maybe do some varmint hunting in the future with some of you all.

Hey Guys,

What's happening with the NYS contingent??? Not reading about many kills. LOL

I was out again tonight for about an 1 hour and a half. Went to a farm across the valley (3/4 mile) from my last stop last night. Tried two distress calls. The squirrel , that thing sounds good to me, and the rabbit distress #2. On each volley, I only called for 30 to 45 seconds then waited about 10 minutes. Nothing came in so I went to the female invitation howl. Then waited 10- 15 minutes. Still nothing. Next round was the female invitation the the male howl three times. Cut the call off for 15 minutes (timed). Finally threw the female invitation at them and went right into the coyote pup distress. Well that set off the fireworks! The coyotes opened up on the ridge I was on last night. I think there had to be at least 3 and probably more. I let call go for a couple more seconds then cut it off. They kept barking and howling for I guess 15 or 20 seconds. I was giddy with anticipation. After 25 minutes I was cursing those coyotes with words I hadn't used since my Navy days. Oh well. Something is going to break soon. Hope we're all out there when it does.

Perri

Welcome NYCoyote....relatively close to you...Wyoming Co.

Perri,

See, there you go pard........

They did the same thing to you, that they did to me the other night. I got that same coyote pup distress, but they opened on the distress call instead. They waited for a couple of minutes after I quit when they cut loose.
They're looking for you after you cut loose on those calls, but being the sneaky SOB's that they are, they'll circle downwind before heading in to investigate.

As it seems, getting them to respond to the calls is hard enough, but getting them to show themselves is even tougher. Right now I'm trying to pay attention on setup's with clearings (or open fields) to my downwind side. I know they're circling me when I'm in heavier cover (I heard them last week). I couldn't make them out, but I heard them on the leaf cover. They were probably 100-200 yds. back in the woodline. They gave themselves up when I heard one lone "yip" like one of them stepped on something sharp.

The calling seems like it's "up to snuff" based on their phases, and the weather. Gotta work on the rest.

Hayzer......

We checked out Butch's place. We kinda knew that the weather was against us right off the bat, but we headed in anyway. My partner hunted turkey near there a few years ago, and once he realized where we were headed, his eyes got wide. He said, "this is a real good spot, how'd you get permission to hunt this ?"
Most people can't hunt it due to the State Park being on one side (and posted), and the private lands being heavily posted on the other (a road divides the two).
I told him I got a specific request to hunt coyotes from the landowner......he seemed really excited as he knew our chances were now greatly increased.
I told him that due to the weather alone, I didn't expect to see much....he agreed, but said "to hell with it, sure beats driving a LazyBoy".
Heading in we scouted and found a lot of sign.....tons of tracks and several scat signs. I smirked at Dennis (partner) and said "we've reached Zanadu".....he smiled with a nod.
We were running late, so we setup in two seperate area's about 150yds. apart bordering a brush gully that divided the property. I ran several distress calls and then killed it for about 15 mins. Two more runs of the distress calls were done, and then just before dark, I switched over to the female coyote locator, and the dominant male. I alternately used the two, and ended up with the female bark & howl.
We heard one short return bark & howl coming from down in the park gorge, but it was at the point where we couldn't see our crosshairs any longer anyway. I waited for about 25 minutes further following dark, and then pulled up stakes.
Dennis is a little hard of hearing, but asked me, "did you hear that ?"......"yep, it was brief, but I did".
"Looks good eh ?"........."no doubt".

All we need is the weather to cooperate a little.....and one to stick his head out.......

Good luck gang, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif (somone will connect soon)
Bob

Damn......

Maybe we should get a group road trip to some place were the coyotes are a little slower than the hunters.

Got up at 0600 to get ready for work, said what the hell and ran out the back door for a 1 hour hunt. Seems like between work and being in the woods, I have no other life. At least my partner thinks that's the way it is. Got to my spot just before 7:00 and set up. Called with distress calls. Woodpecker and squirrel. Nice day. Snowing like crazy. Tonight they'll be out.

Say, anyone hunting over in the Catskill Park? Particularly the Windom Mt area.

Took this from outside my office door this AM. Tonight might be the night. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

January23062.jpg

Sounds like you guys had a pretty fun weekend getting out and calling and all.Handgunr, sounds like you found an awesome place to hunt!

Freebm- That sure is a nice pic you took out of your office. Kind of almost makes me want to get a cup of hot chocolate! No snow here in Buffalo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NyCoyote, aren't you guys about burried chin deep in snow by now??? LOL SOMEONE has gotta blister one soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Hayzer912,
Hiya! No, not buried yet. However, I'm not going to let my guard down yet.LOL I'll send you some more down to the southern tier when we get it..LOL Take Care

Guess what.....?

I just called Butch and told him about us hunting his property out back. I told him where we setup and so on, and he told me where the den was within a square 100yds.

He said where we were at was okay, but that when he was in his stand this last year located in the field where Dennis was sitting, his stand was circled by 7 or 8 coyotes at once.
Butch ran a bow pro shop for several years (how I met him) and I knew he had his bow with him. I asked if he had his bow and he said, "yeah, I took a shot at one of them near some brush and missed". He said that they immediately ran down the treeline to his son's stand about 100yds west of him and congregated right under him.

I think they were so surprised or shocked that it startled them both.
The weather is perfect (other than being a little warm) this afternoon, sunny & no wind, so I'll be heading over.
Butch told me to hunt his "platform stand" which is pretty elevated and camo'd, so who knows.

Gotta wait till the kids get home from school, then off I go.

Perri.......nice that you got some snow.....wish we had a little now. I'm usually down in the "snow belt" from NYCoyote. But there has been times when they've had some & we didn't, or visa versa.

Wish me luck,
Bob

Well.....
Went out Sunday morning looked good no wind. Went to hunting spot and don't you know someone is there going out also. (state land) That's ok we talk and go are seperate ways. Start walking up the lane way just at sun up, (late start because we were talking with the other hunters) look up the way and see somthing on the lane. Determine that it's a fox walking towards us. He kept coming at us maybe 125 yds out stops and looks at us. What to do? Once he's off the lane way he's in the tall grass. My son takes a shot, over his back one more shot miss again? fox jumps to the side shot # 3 high again. Fox jumps in the grass end of story. No sign of any hits on shot #2 no blood( of course could have used some snow to help out). Anyway set up 2 stands for coyotes and no takers . We need some snow!! I don't think that they are hard pressed for any food yet with no snow cover. What does everyone think about the winter being so mild so far this year.
Wayne

Snow??? Does it really matter? I don't know . You would think that having tough conditions for the coyotes and foxes to find lots of mice, rabbits, voles, moles, etc. would make them respond to the calls a little quicker.

But take a look at some of those southern and western pics. No snow and those guys are doing some serious damage. Take a look at some of the northern fellas. They're killing them with lots of snow on the ground. Go figure. I just think these NY predators are more savy and reading this web-site. Yeah, that's it. Hell, we put down the calls we use, sequence, etc. They coyotes are watching our every move. Once they get more cable in the more remote parts of the county, their predators will have access to the internet too. It the only logical explanation I can give. (can you tell I got dooped again..LOL)

I'll try to spread some of the snow around to you guys. It didn't help me, maybe it will help you.

One question, does anyone know when the female coyotes actually go into heat? It seems I remember reading that like other canines their "hot" period was relatively short. I wonder if once they are bred, it will be easier to call them as they'll be done with business and can concentrate on things like EATING!

Perri

Perri,

I have been reading your post on all the different boards, you seemed even more pumped up and into this then me. I noticed on the coyote you got that you used canine sounds. Have you continued to use them more than the other sounds and do you think they are more sucessful?

I have had good sucess with these sounds recently for fox but it seems like I always get busted when it comes to coyotes and these sounds. They seem to come in very carefully.

Anythoughts???

TTG,.........welcome.
I use them both E-Caller & mouth blown, and yes, squirrel, rabbit, woodpecker, bluejay...even mouse and rat.

Perri and AJP,

I don't know if it's snow so much, as it is the cold that makes them more active. The snow just show's where they've been I guess.
Being cold makes them use up energy at a far faster rate, and they naturally have to eat more. You see a big difference between a healthy coyote, and one with mange, regarding this theory. The first coyote I nailed about 30 miles north of my place was manged badly and was out very early trying to find dinner.
Being sick, he didn't seem to care who knew it either.

Like hunting deer, mating season allows us hunters prime opportunity to nail these guys during daytime, as they get a little stupid looking for mates. Mating season is just starting up, and you'll see coyotes out during mid day walking straight across open fields.
I did last week, and my father in law watched one yesterday (calling me very excited).
One reason why distress calls seem useless during this time of year. I still start with them, as fox could respond (and are on the "to do" list), but I switch to coyote calls (mainly female, or higher pitched) shortly afterwards.
After switching to coyote calls, I'd think that the chances of fox coming in are nil (one reason why I start this way).

Although redundant sounding, the only logical thing, I believe, is to "think like a coyote" and you're chances of setting them up with the correct calls are better. Early on in the season, say Sept. thru October/November, using a distress call should work better for the most part, than the average bark & howl. Not saying that latter wouldn't work, but you've got young pups out of the den that are hungry (always) and stupid. More or less, easier pickin's.

Alot of the younger pups will react more like fox, than the adult coyotes. They're more apt to come shooting in to a meal, than to skirt the edges and watch, like an adult.
The only common ground that calls both fox & coyote are the distress calls...that's pretty much it. After that, using different calls for each seems pretty much the dividing point. Being a little different, I've used fox pup distress calls to call both, but it's still a distress call, and both have responded to it.
Where certain distress calls will work out west, they won't work well around here in the NE, even if the same prey animal lives in both areas. Case in point is one of those generic "wah-wah" rabbit calls. I spent my first few years messing with them made by various companies. I would get the occasional red fox to respond, but only when I actually heard a red tailed hawk nail a rabbit in the wild did I get the message. It sounded nothing like the calls I had. I then went for the predator calls that mimic'd that sound and red fox would then come blasting in.....night & day difference. I got a few coyotes to come to it as well. Not on a regular basis always, but more often.

Hunting the two (red's & coyotes) are similar on some calling points, but different on most, especially the way they respond. Coyotes out west respond more like our fox do around here....our coyotes (although not as well populated as out west) are very weary and slink in skirting the edges of woodlines and brush. I'm referring to the educated one's and not the young & dumb ones. They learn sneaky from experience, or mom & dad a little I guess.
I've watched coyotes come out on the edge of brush, and woodlines, and then just sit to some of my best call sequences, usually just out of comfortable range. It fry's me.....If I quit, they get bored and start to head back in, and then will sit back down in a new spot if I start up again.

Like I mentioned to Perri.....I start with the distress calls "moderately".....although at this time of year, it'll still work somewhat, in my opinion, it kind of pollutes the area a little if a mating call might've worked better, but who knows for sure ?.
No one's psychic, and we all try what "we think" will work, and I still try the distress call's first, just in case. I'll run them at low volume, but loud enough to cover the area I'm hunting. If you can hear "slapback" echoing off the trees 300-400yds away, it's covering just fine. It really doesn't take much.
When I switch to the calls that I really believe will work, I give it a period of time between the distress and the coyote calls to "purge", or allow the coyotes time to turn their attention to something else. Maybe 20-30 mins. or so.

AJP......coyotes will bust you more times than not, and thinking like them will give you an "edge up" over them. They see very well, and smell even better. Getting in an area that has an open downwind side will keep them from getting your scent as they usually won't cut out into the open very readily to wind you. I do this purposely everytime I hunt them. If they are afraid to show themselves in open fields, and the wind is in that direction, you're using their fear of open area's against them. I try to make it impossible for them to at least wind me.....I have more control over concealment for the most part.

Hey, good luck.....nuff' said.
Bob

Back