NYS Coyote Hunters

knockemdown,

There are plenty of them around. The snow and colder weather should help this weekend. I have taken some this year but not what I would expect, especially for the numbers of them around. I am sure I am missing more than my share also in that I am always hunting alone and I know I have been getting busted by them coming in from behind. Two hunters almost always fair better, one looking one way, one the other.

Perri,

A hunting video for this area definitely would end up being a comedy....fer sure. We could film it all in a coffee shop...LOL.

Thanks for the nice words though.....I look at it like "wrong place, wrong time" and "life goes on"....depressing as hell though trying to get used to it. I worked since I was 14 or 15, straight on through. I'm 48 now. It was good therapy for me. I actually liked workin' for the most part. Oh well....related retirement to hunting & stuff and it's all better now. It just took awhile of adjustment.

NYCoyote,
Yeah, it hurt like hell....especially when I came to. It rang my bell for about 20 seconds or so, & when the "foggies" cleared, the pain set in real good. Especially where it partially dislocated my hip socket. It all popped back in when I went to get out of the car. Thought it was on fire from the air bag residue...smokey stuff back then.
My 16lb. radar unit kissed me in the face and fractured my nose as well. I was a GD mess.
My Trooper buddy pulled up and did the, "are you alright ?", immediately after I did the half lucid "Quasimoto-Chinese Fire Drill leg drag" around the wrecked heap. I said with a slight touch of sarcasm "my friend, really, does it look like I'm alright ?" while covered in blood with my uniform destroyed.
That poor kid that hit me was just shi**ing his knickers...after the pain quit I felt sorry for him...really. At first I wanted to choke him, like the disgusted father type, but kids are kids. We all were at one time or another.

Anyway, although it can be a 24/7 pain ride, I made the best of it and now, when I'm done fulfilling one pastime (loading & casting), I following up with the other (hunting) and go shoot up what I loaded.
Enough of all that....

Machia's is good area..I'm about 20-25 miles from there. It ought to be real good this weekend, with the snow & all.
I gotta get out tomorrow, or Friday and hunt during the early AM hours, then scout for sign. It depends when the weather quits. If it quits sometime during the very early morning hours....it'd be a banner day, cause' they'd be out foraging at first light. When the weather (blowin' & snowin") quits late afternoon to evening. They'll usually make it out to eat that night and head in early.

Dennis (partner) and I are trying to locate a couple of den's in two seperate area's. Sometimes it takes tracking several sets to a given area, over several times out, to get an idea of where they all hang out, or at least where they're headed. Calling within several hundred yards of a known den area increases your chances. Especially during the daytime.

It's also just fun to give the "pin the tail on the donkey" method of picking a spot and hunting there at random, we do that too, but trying to educate ourselves on their probable locations seems like it would up our chances considerably.

We have the groups that use dog's to hunt them with, several teams of them (3 right now), and on the weekends they are all out. One area that you scout during the week, and planning to hunt on the weekend, could be totally ruined, whether you're there or not. One pass with those dogs, and the area doesn't settle down for better than a week.
Nothing against that form of hunting, but it conflicts with the calling style of hunting plain & simple.

Good luck to all this weekend......
Bob

Morning Fella's,

Had another short hunt and no luck last night. The wind was howling! I did hear some coytoes though. I beleive there were two distinct groups. They started up on their own. I joined in with the female invitation howl but they weren't coming any closer. Both groups had to be ... well over a mile away on oposite ridges way down the valley. Only stayed for 30 minutes then had to go see my darling. Luckily I was only hunting 3/4 of mile from her house!

DOD, I think you may be on to something. And all this time I've been looking in the woods for the things.

Bob, what do you think about actually hunting deep in the woods? Most of my calling has been in open but secluded areas. I've been trying to hunt those areas that, I guess, are old overgrown pastures at the back of meadows or orchards and the like. The areas I heard them howling from last night were right up on the ridges in the woods? Problem would be finding a stand with a decent view.

I just noticed that this post gets a lot of views. I (speaking for myself) would like to know how some of the guys close to our NY borders are doing?

Perri

DOD,just so you know where I'm coming from on this,I tried calling at my mailbox this a.m.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gifIt did'nt work but I'm willing to try anything.Yup,that's the kind of season I've been having. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifAny other ideas I can try? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Perri,

We sit the woods alot. Actually, you can blend the both of them, field and woods sitting. What I've read and heard over the years, as well as watching predator video's, is that you can't readily call coyotes across open area's very easily. This was based primarily on western coyotes, but I believe it still has some merit up here in the NE.
It isn't a definite, as I've called them out into open fields from woodlines before. But I believe, as a general rule, it is true. Along the same lines, I've read/heard many professional hunter's claim that they had never called coyotes in during moderate to heavy rains.
Windy days is a distant second.

A coyote is more apt to come within range of you if you're following their rules, meaning, leaving a brush line, or woodline for them to gain access to your location, and also, if your scent line is in such a direction that they can't readily cross it.
I mostly sit the woods, but I'm within shooting distance of an open field, and I make sure (as long as the wind cooperates and doesn't change) that my scent travels towards an open area that I believe a coyote wouldn't cross to access that scent.
If they do go so far as to try and get directly below my scent line, it would go against their reclusive nature and they'd have to get out into the open to do so, affording me a very clear shot.
Sitting in the woods, mainly, allows them to get in to me, but because of my strategic location, not get my scent unless they "tip their hand" so to speak.
Sometimes the wind changes and screws things all up, but not usually.
Sitting on the edge of brushy, or corn stalk fields, seems like a middle ground for them, and they'll come out into the open more readily than a bare plowed, or cut afalfa field.
During very foggy days, I've had them come out into the open and stay there, walking around all over. One reason why Dennis was able to shoot the one he did last year. I called for several minutes, then quit, and within 20 mins. or so, he just appeared.
I think they realize full well when they are concealed, and they're very concious of it. At first, I thought it was just instinct, but over the last couple of years I've realized that it is a learned & concious effort on their part.
They don't deviate from it much at all, except for times during mating.
Right about now, until late Feb. or early March. They're monogomous animals, at least on a per season basis, and once they pair up with another, they stay that way, unless one of them is killed. So, once a coyote is hooked up, if you see them at all, they'll usually be together or closeby.
Once the female has the pups, the male will hunt for her, and stay around her den site. She won't let him in to the den after the pups are born, but after they've grown a bit, things change and he's more acceptible by the female around them.

Fox are very similar in the way they react to each other.

Back to "deep woods" hunting......
When we hunt the hardwoods with no surrounding fields nearby, we're more apt to watch that downwind side for the majority of it all. I pick naturally clear area's in the woods so that I can get off a decent shot, as well as afford myself the ability to see them sneaking in. Real thick woods tip the scales towards the coyote's side, and allow him not only to get closer to you without seeing him, but also it allows him to confirm the scent of the suspected quarry.
Their movement in such a case, is far less restrictive, and they are usually in and gone before you realize it.

By positioning yourself in such a way that restricts his freedom of movement through the use of terrain and wind conditions, but not to the extent that it discourages him greatly, in my opinion, is the way to go.
In plain language, for the most part, they'll work to get to you, but not to the extent where they get overly nervous about their safety.
The exception I guess, would be the "half starved" dog that really doesn't care. I guess a great hunger would make them take more chances that way.

Take care & good luck,
Bob

AJ,

Actually, Perri and DOD got me beat...they got up on the board in good fashion.

I've called up several coyotes to within a couple hundred yards so far this year. I've watched two skirt corners of fields from one spot to the other, that didn't cover 20yds. I was postioned facing another location and would've never got on them in time anyway. They appeared once, briefly, then they were gone. Seconds at the most.
One I believed, might have winded me, as it had changed since my setup. The other....definitely not.

One male (pretty certain due to size) I called to within 300yds. It was late dusk and he was standing just inside the treeline at that distance watching me. Putting the scope on him only allowed me to barely make out his silhoutte through the trees, and the crosshairs weren't legible at all, so I passed on the shot. Way too iffy.

Just last week I called what sounded like a whole pack. Maybe 5 or 6 coyotes (sounded like more), and never knew they were there until I switched calls. They opened up on me and were within 100yds. of where the male was visible two weeks prior. They stayed within the treeline and wouldn't break the edge.

I won't take an iffy shot because if you hit debris, or just plain miss, it'll educate them in quick order.
Yeah, I'll take a 450-500yd shot if it presents itself and I've prepared for it, but it has to be under conditions that promote a good chance of success.
Most of the time, during the pre-mating season, you'll see them out mainly in low light conditions.
So far, that's the only time I've seen the one's I've called.....very early in the morning, and mostly dusk, as that's when I've been out the most.
During mating season....it's another story, and I usually get my kills in that window of the season. Oh yeah, I'll call them in using mating calls, and when they get stupid and present themselves in the open....bang.

I guess my ratios from "stands to kills" is probably....maybe, 14 to 1 for coyotes. And for fox, probably 5 or 6 to 1. To be honest, there's been years that I haven't gotten anything.....those years make you evaluate your calling techniques, and they make you question yourself a lot more.
I found out a couple of years ago, after reading, listening to others, and watching everything that I could get my hands on, it wasn't as much the calling, as it was how & where...scouting and understanding the coyote's phases has made the biggest difference overall.
Also, there are just those "dry years".
It's all a matter of percentages, which, to a degree, you have a certain amount of control over. Some of it you don't.

The times when I have dry spells, I'm just excited to see someone/anyone connect, and I get equally excited for them.

Good luck....
Bob

ADK,

All I can think of is replace the mailbox.

This snow may help, but supposed to start warming up again so who knows.

Handgunr, I have had them do the same thing, come around a pick you off from a long way off. Thats one of the reasons I prefer to have a partner along so cuts down the chances of it a little.

I am going to try to get out in the AM and see whats happening.

Hey Guys,

No hunting for me tonight. It's windy and I'm tired. Besides, I think she'll really leave me if I go out tonight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But I do have time for some correspondence. Hey Bob, cops have great oratory and typing skills (or at least they should have) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

In selecting stands I try to get places where the animals are comfortable but I can see them and still have concealment. The reason I'm thinking about heading deeper into the woods is just because I'm not seeing them "out in the open" per se. I've actually tried calling out of two tree stands. That was exciting. I like the sighting advantage being 15 feet up gives you. There's lots of sign in the woods too. However selecting a stand that offers a decent visual of the territory can be tough! Those coyotes could come up behind me and I never have any clue they were there. Hell, they do that now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

Well, this weekend I'll probably be in MA. My friend there has coyotes on his property and he wants to see if we can call one in for him. Might as well give it a try. Read about a different approach. May give it a try at his place. If it works I'll pass it on (or maybe I won't..just kidding). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

ADK, got to ask how is the hunting in the north woods? I've travelled up the northway on business and pleasure. Always admired the scenery and thought there must be game in those woods.

DOD, good luck. I'll get in touch with you next week.

AJP, expect to see you on the board soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Good luck guys.

Perri

Perri,

Appreciate the nice gesture, but if you read some of the reports of some of the guys I've worked with, you'd have gotten embarassed just reading it....I remember...."witch" instead of "which".....man that stuff had to go in front of attorney's, Judges, etc.....they didn't care.

I was told something years ago that stuck....
"The quality of a man is judged by his spoken and written word".....so, I guess I'm just a dumba$$ that has good oratory skills....LOL
My typing's not so great......I just proof read.

Have a good weekend Perri.
(PS-I prefer stands better myself)

DOD,
Went out tonight.......nada!
When the sun dropped past the hill though.....man it got cold quick....it went from 22 degrees or so, straight to 13.....and with the wind it was brutal coming out. I was about a mile or so off the road back on a huge earthen mound in the middle of a large potato field.

Regarding partners; I hunt with my buddy Dennis mostly...but during the weekdays he doesn't get out of work early enough to hunt, so I'll either catch the AM shift sometimes, or the afternoon till dark (mostly). When we do our weekend marathons, we'll hunt anywhere from 100-300yds apart, usually. Different locations, and sometimes directions.
In a round about way, I guess we are watching each other's backs though. Those long weekend hunts nock the snot out of us both. When we get done, we've usually walked a good 10-15 miles, and probably been through 8-10 good stands per day.
When the dog's hang up....I really don't think they've spotted me at all......I think they're just surveying the area where the sounds originating. I rarely move a muscle, but I've thought about enticing them in closer with a decoy maybe.

Friday's a no-go...but I'll be out first light on Sat. & Sun.

Go luck to all who partake....
Bob

Hey Dave (DOD), Got out this morning to try your call....all I can say is HOLY SH$#!!!!!! Not only have I been blanked the handful of times I have been out this year I think the coyotes took a bus to an adjacent county.... except today!....anyways, at sun up I hit that distress call you made for me for about 5 minutes with varying degrees of effort etc.... as soon as I stopped calling I looked to my left and there sits a coyote about 15 yards from me...as if to say, "is that all you got?"! It surprised the hell out me! Never even heard him. My gun was in my lap and I knew if I reached for it, off he would go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif Well, after our stare down session( about 30 seconds that felt like two days) I decided, well if I dont try I am not gonna get him....grabbed for the gun and he was off like a rocket. Down over the ravine I was hunting near and out of sight. Well, after I scraped clean my Fruit of the Looms and managed to halt the "coronary in progress" I got up and laughed my [beeep] off all the way to the truck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I gotta tell you, I have ben hunting deer and turkeys all my life and I have never had such a rush. Yote hunting has found a place on my hunting calendar for every year!!!! Oh and if you guys havent tried one of DOD's calls...give 'em a try...damn near gave this 34YO a heart attack! LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hayzer,

Glad you had a good trip out and things worked out for you the way they did and that you like the call. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I believe I mentioned that after you get one called in you'd be hooked and I think you got a good dose by the sounds of it.

They do seem to come in like ghosts sometimes and just appear there, the same thing happened to me, you just cannot believe that something that size could get so close without being noticed, scares the, well you know after soiling the Fruit of the Looms. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So I have a question,
You Gonna go out again?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Dave,

What type of call did you send Hayzer ?

Lately I've had fox running like fools with a modified rabbit in distress E-call I made.
On a couple, I was laughing so hard, I'd have never got a shot off. They wouldn't have held still anyway.
I had one Red that stumbled over a log at mach2, and went face first into a snow drift. Outrageous !

Sometimes is just worth the comic relief, I swear.

Actually, I have a bunch of mouth calls as well as the E-caller, but nothing custom made. Maybe I'll give one of those calls of yours a try Dave....if it'll up my chances, like Hayzer....I'm game for anything.....LOL

Another thought....maybe our coyotes around here are just retarded, or vegetarian....don't know..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Hayzer....now that you got Dave's call..it sounds like you'll be strictly shotgunning it from here....or even a .22RF...15 yds.....man that's close. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Take care,
Bob

I tell you what Bob, for a brief moment I thought something was wrong with the coyote! After reading all the posts, etc on here it sounded as if most of the run- ins with them are from a pretty good distance. When it didnt immediately run I am thinking to myself, "this dog thinks I'm dinner". Now mind you , I am a pretty big guy 6'1" 240lbs. and this coyote didnt seem to be scared of me until I moved. I thought for sure he could hear my heart pounding! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I was sitting on the edge of a field about 10 yards inside the woods and wasnt expecting him to show up where he did. Now I know why hunting with a partner could have gotten one of us a dog that day. It just goes to show that the coyote is a damn good hunter himself. After all he could have gotten himself a 6'1" turkey if he wanted too! LOL Still gives me the creeps that he got to within that short distance of me without any indication he was coming. I am most definitely HOOKED in a demented kinda way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif....Its different than turkey or deer hunting. These animals are hunting YOU!

Bob, Dave's calls are nice. He will take care of you for sure. Good quality wood with a great sounding "voice". Very good craftmanship as well. I was able to call quietly and then open it up. Sometimes its tough to call real soft with the commercially made calls I have found. Not the case with Dave's. A real light breath gets you a nice soft,quiet tone and then really hammer on it and man it sings.....and no I am not a paid spokesman! LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I'll be in the woods this weekend....FOR SURE!

Hayzer,

I'm looking over his calls now...he PM'd me and I'll be deciding on which one I want.

Apparently Dave has done his homework thoroughly, and when you get a hot call like that...my "less is more" line is a must. Not that anything might've been different, but when you have a call that works that well, I'll start with a 5-10 second light run, give it a minute or two, then moderate it a little higher each time.
When you put "your heart" into the call, (which I'm sure you were) I had a tendency to focus on the calling sequence more, and wasn't as open to what was going on around me.
I changed that about a year or so ago, and now when I run the calls and I'm working my eyes (and head slightly), but it took practice to be able to get the call the way I wanted, and be able to do both.
Kind of like chewing gum & walking....I need practice.

From the sounds of it, that coyote had you on the first or second note.....LOL
They usually sneak in the last 100-150yds. More than likely, if he was facing the same direction as you, he was probably looking for the sound from the area that you were projecting it to.

Sounds like a cool and exciting hunt....wish I was there to watch that one....anyway you're exactly my build....well, okay...maybe I got you by 7 or 8lbs.

Have fun with that call & good luck,
Bob

silentaaron2269,

Welcome. Send me a PM if you like or just through the questions right out here. Us New Yorkers are a hardy bunch, and always willin to lend a hand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back