NYS Coyote Hunters

A few questions from a rookie. I have been out five or six times and almost every time I get coyote's to respond(barks)
Are they busting me or what. There is alot of cover where I am hunting so it is hard to see very far. Should I try to get into more open areas?

plinker,

Welcome to a forum full of good info.....

Based on your post, you're getting a response and that's a good thing. Problem is, they get educated real easy.

What are you using to get them to respond with a bark ?

If you're hunting in thick cover, and you're not visually seeing them, more than likely they're winding you.
Coyote's are notorious for circling downwind to catch a scentline, and then following it back upwind to it's source.
They're more than likely catching your scent and making a quick exit out of the area.

Usually, around my neck of the woods, we don't get much of a bark from them. They just show up like unexpected relatives, looking for dinner.
We'll get barks, or howls from them at times when we use similar sounds to call them with, but if you're using distress calls like a rabbit, or something, around here, they'll come in quiet.

Whatever you're doing to get them to bark, once they do, try responding with a similar bark sound back. Either that or a greeting bark (which you'll find on several internet download sites).
If the bark is coming from the same area all the time, chances are they may be barking off the den, or near it. We've got a den out behind my house several hundred yards back. We haven't found it exactly yet, but we know it's in a general area. At dusk, almost planned, I can get them to sound off, and it gets quite comical at times.

Another thing....it's real hard to call them across open area's, and if they're really interested in you, they'll skirt the brush to get as close as they can before breaking out in the open. One of the rarest times we've ever called one out in the open was during a heavy fog where the male thought he was safe. Visibility was barely 100yds at the very best, and we spotted his image moving over a snow patch in a plowed field. The shot was good and he succummed to his wounds, but it was a rarity.

Good luck....nail one,
Bob

Thanks for the info. I am using an electric caller and they seem to bark after they here the same thing. I should stick with the distress sounds if I know they are in the area?

NYHunter,

Where are you located? The Finger Lakes is beautiful. Loads of hunting ops also. Let me know if you would like to get together to do some hunting.

plinker,

If you're using a bark call, then is it a coyote challange bark ? What kind of caller do you have, and what are the styles of calls that the caller uses ?
I download my own off of the internet, then I use software to modify them somewhat.
Some of the ones that I've downloaded were the "Dominent Male Challenge bark, and another "Greeting Bark".

More than likely, what you're getting is a return bark from a dominent male, or female. Kinda like "get out of our area" warning. If you use a challenge call, they'll usually respond to those within a short period of time, and they're ready to do battle. Most of the time, the lead male will be in front.
I know the north country pretty well. Pick an area in the woods that is relatively open, say a clear shot for about 100yds. or more. Setting up in a homemade blind of brush and stuff, is what I do.
I place my caller facing into the wind, and as far off to one side or the other as it will go (usually 30ft. or so). In the woods, wind has a tendency to swirl, so it's hard to foresee what will happen in some cases. Do your best on scent control. We hunt brushy field edges and such, more so, so scent isn't as critical there as it is inside the woods.

Try to set your call in the clearest "shot area" in the woods and build a blind back aways. I usually build my blinds under a low pine, cedar, or hemlock. They provide shadowey cover and work great. I start my calls very low, and you'd be amazed at how far they carry. Usually a mouse squeek, or small rabbit whine will get their attention if they're close. They'll still circle in the woods, but their not as timid due to still being in cover. Even though the woods may be open, in their mind, they're in cover and more than likely, will come shooting in after a bit.

A good addition is to get yourself some rabbit scent from a local dog hunter supply. They use it for training beagles, and rig yourself up a cheap stuffed toy from a store. One that looks as real as possible, or can be altered to look as such. Stick it on a spring, or something that moves and douse it with the rabbit urine.
We just started doing this in brushy fields of late and it works great calling in fox, so far.
I'm looking into building something with a remote it seems to work so well.

Hey.....I'm ramblin on here....

Take care and good luck,
Bob

Thanks for the info. I will try it out.You were right on the money about the challenge bark. Thats what I got the responce with. I'll let you know how it goes.

plinker,

A challenge bark will call them in, but they're looking for an intruder in their territory, and most likely will come in checking the wind hard, and very wiley for that trespassor.
In effect, they'll more than likely spot you through nose, or by eye. Most likely nose.
If you're constantly getting responses in one area, I'd head in and try using distress calls. You've got half the battle won as you now know they're physically there.
Many area's we hunt will be based on sign alone at times, and they might still be there, and then again, might not.

We've also hunted areas where we hear them respond and they still freeze up on calls....then again, there are those times when they come blasting in...rare, but it happens.

Getting them to respond is the bigger half, and once you do it'll be a game of skill from there on out.

Good luck & good hunting,
Bob

DOD,
I live near Rochester. I saw your from Norwich on your post. Looks like about 3 hours away. Hmmm, how many coyotes are out there??
Handgunr,
I made that LED bead for my shotgun. Not the prettiest thing, but I think it will work great in low/no light. Hopefully well get a little snow out and Ill get to see how it works on a coyote one of these evenings.

Joe,

Rarely does "pretty" get the job done....right?
As long as it works for you, ugly will do just fine. My buddy, at times, hunts with an old 98' Mauser that's had some accuracy work done on it. I keep telling him to give it to me and I'll "pretty it up" for him.

His response is always...."why put lipstick on a pig ?"

Always a laughing matter.....

I've also seen those "glow in the dark" beads that you can buy for shotguns. Much like the Bushnell Firefly scopes. I think Brownell's sells them. They thread into the end of the barrel. Hit them with a flashlight and bingo, good to go for an hour or two. Either that, or the "meprolight/tritium" beads. They glow all on their own. as soon as light fades, they start glowing. Perfect for night hunting with a shotgun.

Take care,
Bob

outdoorsjoe222

We have loads of em. Tons of areas to hunt also. Always looking for someone to get out there with. I have arears to hunt between Ithaca and Watkins also.

DOD,
I'am over the hills from you in middlesex yates county. I'am new to this yote hunting. Still trying to figure how to do it.
Whats the best way to start up calling? Go with a low mouse or distress call and then get louder? Whats been the best time to go out? Will they respond during the day? or later from dusk on.
Thanks for any info.
Wayne

DOD, I am only 20 minutes from Ithaca and Watkins. I hunt just outside of Watkins/Odessa area. We should get together on a hunt! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Plinker223, where are you in the Adirondacks? I'm in the Lake George area.I was beginning to think I'm the only one north of Albany that coyote hunts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Scratch that.......not just a Finger Lakes gang, but an Adirondack one too...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Now all we need is a WNY group..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Bob

NYHunter, I usually start out with softer calls in case there are some close by, then increase in volume. I have had luck at all times. Tried out a call for a customer today and he was with me, I called from a road at 9:30 this AM and out in a field came one a runnin with another in tow.

Hayzer912,

I grew up in Mecklenburg, where are you at?

ADK,
I live in Newcomb, about 50 min. north of you. I just started this predator hunting thing. It gives me something to do between deer season and trout fishing.

DOD,
I'm from Binghamton and have been trying to get time to hunt your area. There is a ton of state land from Smithville north. Do you know the Pharsalia area? Its been real tough around here this year. I need to expand my hunting area. I'd love to hook up with you some time. I may be available the weekend of Jan 21 if you would like to get out. Let me know.
Tim

Tim
I looked into Pharsalia area last week. It looks very good and should hold lots of coyotes. I want to get out there in the next week or so. I checked out another area yesterday and called in 2 while testing out a call with a customer.
Your right about the amount of state land, and not that many hunting coyotes, a good balance for the rest of us. The only issue is, is the amount of walking that can get involved, the roads on the state land aren't maintained in winter, so if your in for a hike, let me know.

DOD

Back