NYS Coyote Hunters

hey guys,
just wondering how all you new york hunters did this weekend? didn't get chance to get out...holiday family stuff...fun wow. weathers been pretty nice here in wny, very mild. hope to get out this coming weekend to give em' hell! good huntin'!!
goose212

Friday nite, shot 2 reds (pix in gallery) and called in a coyote that offered no shot through a hedgerow.

Sunday afternoon, I called in a red that proceeded to bed down, curl up and sleep for 40 minutes at approxiamely 250 yds away. I did not take the shot.

Sunday nite, it was super foggy and I did not see a thing except for the red column of fog that my light produced /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

All in all, it was a fun weekend

goose,

Missed a red, after I called in a female and she was called away by another male. After 20 mins of calling to get her back, I decided to move nearby to a better spot on a brushy knoll.
At the worst time, while down crossing a diversion ditch, being off balance and in the thick stuff, here comes the big male red from the area where the female went.
She was apparently "lookin' for love", and he was probabaly hungry (apparently).
Before I got busted, I swung my rifle around and as he was trotting towards me, I took the only shot I had and blew it. They always catch you on your weak side, or worst possible position (off balance) don't they ?
Oh well, I don't take too many running, or moving shots anyway...so this was a "poke & hope" shot..

Going out in about 40 mins this AM for a 3rd. straight day in a row. Still dark here now, and packin' up to go. We'll be on stand in another hour.....hope we bag something.

Good luck,
Bob

bhw,

Called in three red's on Sat. One returned later when I was moving setups. Almost got busted crossing a diversion ditch, but when off balance, I tried to take a "trotting shot" at around 80yds or so. Missed clean.....

Damn critter's always catch you with yer' pants down....

Going out this AM for 3rd straight day in a row....still dark now, but I'll be on stand in about 40 mins.
Haven't called a yote in yet....pretty soon I feel.

Take care,
Bob

bhw,
nice pics of the fox. can't wait to get out this weekend, hope the weather cooperates.

handgunr,
hope you had some action this mornin', let us know how you did!!
goose

Hello Hayzer. I've used a Ruger 77 in .243, a Rem 870 in 12 ga. 3", a ruger mini-14 and currently use a Savage 24f .223/12. This has been over a 40 yr. period of hunting fox and more recently coyotes. I have found reasons to complain about all of the above.Recently I have talked myself into buying an AR-15. I like the idea of reaching out alot farther than I can with a shotgun and the ability to take a fast follow-up shot with a high degree of accuracy. There are alot of good guns out there which will get the job done. Just pick one that fits you well and that you are able to shoot accuratly. Good luck with your search. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Thanks ADK. I currently love hunting with my .50 caliber Muzzleloader but, I am finding out I want a quicker follow up shot and more insurance. We had a deer hunter who was hunting off of RT13( near Odessa, NY) in Schuyler County, NY, attacked by a small pack of coyotes several weeks ago. He got two of 'em and the others ran but, a little too close for comfort. I guess there was 4-5 total. Anybody else had any close calls? Just curious. My buddy and I hunt with a muzzleloader AND a shotgun as of right now.....

Goose,

As I mentioned, I went out yesterday (Monday) morning. Got into the area right at sunup (a little later than I like). As we were heading in, we rounded a corner to see a Silver Fox crossing an open alfalfa field at around 450-500yds.
Too long for a good shot really, as it was trotting towards a block of pines, but being so very rare, it was fantastic to see one.
My hunting partner is 61, and he's only seen two in his lifetime. In appearance, their "jet black" at that distance, but their guard hairs are silver tipped, giving them the name.
The light was still low, and I knew it was a fox, but when I checked it through the scope, I about crapped my knickers. "Holy Sh*t, I said, it's BLACK, ALL BLACK". My partner said, "REALLY.....!" You could see that he was very excited......"
I had the only gun (.22-250) that could've realistically reached the animal, and we had gone prone at the sight of it, ready to shoot. I called on my new electronic rig, nice and low, but loud enough for the fox to hear it....he wasn't buying it, and probably looking for love, as it's mating season.
If the fox had stopped for a brief moment, I could've made a pretty decent shot.
We're both pretty heavy shooter's & loader's, and we normally practice during the off season at long ranges, but this range was very honestly stretching it.

At 48, it was maybe the only Silver I'll ever see in my lifetime, but just the sight of it, not even getting the chance at shooting one, was reward enough, I guess.

The area we hunted was very secluded, and we found it during chuck season. I know the owners so we obtained permission. We hadn't seen coyote sign much while hunting chucks, and took a shot at it for fox & coyotes Sat.

With snow on the ground, it's filthy with fox sign, but you gotta be there before daylight. The fox that I missed on Sat., had a paw print that you'd have thought was a female coyote in size. It was huge for a fox.
We've got particular area's that we hunt specifically for coyotes, but we always search for new ones.

Hayzer,
Several of the guys here have mentioned the Rock River, Bushmaster, and Olympic AR's. For the money, it appears that the Rock River seems the better buy, performance and cost wise.
I don't know personally as I don't own one now. I did have an Olympic years ago, but I sold it when I was a Deputy.
I've heard stories of coyote attacks in the past, but nothing confirmed. Mostly hunting tales around the campfire stuff.
Although we've thought about semi auto's for fox & coyotes, we personally still prefer single shots, and bolt guns for now. The only semi auto I've got now is a 10/22 Magnum that I converted into a .17HMR...very nice for fox, and the occasional coyote that get's within 100yds.
When shotguns are required, I use an 870, and my partner has a very nice Benelli. Any area's that are heavily populated with coyotes, and where a problem might exist in regards to attacks, personally, I'd pack a sidearm.

My only close call was about 10yrs. ago, or so, while getting down from a treestand in thorny cover over in the Geneseo, NY area.
A fire whistle from a nearby company went off and I was about ten feet from the ground, when several coyotes around me started in howling. The closest one was about 30yds. back in the brush behind me. There was at least four, and possibly more, all within 100 yds.
It was dusk and I strained to see them. I saw movement, but I really couldn't make them out well. Regardless, I knew what they were.
After making it to the ground, I knocked an arrow, and made my way out of the brush. I continued to look back down the path behind me, and every once in awhile I could see one just standing watching.
They followed me (about 400yds.) all the way to the edge of a horse pasture, and they held there. As I crossed the 200yds of pasture to my truck, I turned to look back and there stood three of them. Two sitting, one standing, curiously watching me........makes me wonder?

Take care,
Bob

Bob, Yeah in regards to that attack, I am not sure if the deer hunter ran into the coyotes or they located him. From what I heard they backed him down a ravine, across a small field and then they got "too close" so he let two of 'em have it. The rest ran like hell. Who knows, I never saw it in the paper and we all know how a story changes from one person to the next. I have some DEC buddies who said they heard of an "incident" involving coyotes and a hunter but for some reason didnt know details.....at any rate ,makes you think. Take care.

Thanks for the reply Hayzer, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. If I end up moving there, maybe we could get together sometime for a few hunts. Steve

imbuckshot,
I live just south of Binghamton (2 miles) and work at Lockheed Martin in Owego. There are plenty of coyotes around here but they move quite a bit this time of year. I'm in the process of trying to obtain hunting permission at more places so I don't hunt the same ones all the time. There are more farms on the Pa side but the laws are a bit crazy for me. Let me know what you end up doing and where you're at.
Tim

Tim,
What a coincidence! That's where I'm considering taking a job. How do you like it there? Shoot me a PM if you'd prefer. The wife is convinced that she wants to stay in PA, so if we do move, maybe we can shoot a few. The laws aren't too bad, but I've been with them all my life too, and they're changing all the time- luckily, for coyotes anyway, usually for the better. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Steve

Hey guys,

I am in Norwich if anyone interested in going out. Tons of area here to hunt. Now that Deer season is over, I am going to be giving the coyotes some serious atention. I have called in plenty while testing calls out and playing around during deer season but wasn't going to do any extra shooting during deer outings.

Steve, ABSOLUTELY! Let me know when and if you take the job. I am always game for making new huntin' buddies...deer, turkey, coyotes, you name it!

Hi to All,
Just found this forum. I'am new to yote hunting this year. I'am from the finger lakes area of NY. Looks like I will get alot of info from here. Thanks again.
Wayne

Hey Wayne, Welcome! I am from the Horseheads/Elmira, NY area. Where are you? I am new to the site too and I tell you these guys know their Sh#$! I have learned a ton in only a few short weeks......take care!

Wayne,

I'm originally from up north (Oswego, Parish, N. Syracuse, Richland, etc.) I moved over here to the western side of the state in the southern tier area around 1981. Mainly for the hunting and geographical layout.....love it.
When I was living back up north, I used to hunt the finger lakes with my dad and his buddies. Ovid, Burdett/Redding Ctr., King's Ferry, as well as area's around Montezuma Swamp were all good back then. Lots of deer.
I never really spotted coyotes around those area's but things have really changed regarding them over the past 15yrs.

My area is filthy with them.
Being a reclusive, mainly nocturnal animal, were seeing them more and more during the day. In earlier days, if you were lucky to see one out during daylight, they'd bolt at first sight of you. Nowadays, if you see one walking down a roadway, or crossing one, they'll look at you, and continue on like nothing bothers them.
We're starting to get requests from local farmers to come and hunt them on their lands. The only time they used to "ask you to hunt their lands" was back when they were overrun with woodchucks.
Speaking of chucks.....they're visibly on the decline around here. Fields used to be full of them a few years back, and you don't see the hunters out shooting them much anymore. So, the only answer I can come up with is fox, and more likely coyotes.

Take care over between the lakes...& good luck this season...
Bob

Back