NIGHT RAT SHOOTIN ON FARMS

SCUBA tanks are not real great at filling PCP's. Most tanks are only 3000psi and most PCP's fill to 3000. You will be only partial filling from your first fill. If you go that route you really should get two of them. One to fill and the other to top off. That way you can get close to full fills and not drain your second tank as fast. SCBA tanks are much better at filling PCP's as they are 4500psi. These do have there own set of issues though. Tanks cost more and there are fewer places to get them filled but you will get many more full fills from a single tank (there also much lighter). They do make a compressor for filling these at home but again $$$ (called a shoebox compressor).

Another option might be a Benjamin Discovery. The gun comes with a hand pump and only needs 2000psi for a full fill. It can also be used with CO2 which is readily available. Its a nice little gun and only runs abouts $400. This gun works well with SCUBA tanks as it only fills to 2000psi and you can get several full fills from a SCUBA tank.

I will warn you though. Once you shoot a PCP I doubt you will ever go back to pumps or springers. The darkside will draw you in. They are very quiet and very accurate.

Here is a pic of my favorite PCP:

103.jpg

##%$#@%@85^%^$ Sorry I drooled on my key board!! BH that rig is freakin rediculous!!!I love it!!! What did you start with on that build??
thumbup.gif

Ya,your right on, with the filling issues,to 3000 psi.thats why I have the two tanks.
And great suggestion on the Disco (Discovery) for a starter.But we both know a bunch of guys that have super tuned their Disco's to be some killer varmint zappers!!

Have you done any night shootin of rats?If so what are you using for a light or N.V.?

The gun is a stock Edgun "Matador" shorty in .22 cal. It is currently setup for night time use with just a red laser. I dont live in a free state so no NV scopes allowed. The laser is very visable with a PVS-14 mounted on my helmet though and works just fine. One hole groups to 30yds and cloverleafs to 50yds.

Is pretty much the only place you find rats to shoot is around hog and chicken lots? I know dumps are a good place but there aren't any around here. I have tons of coyote hunting ground but I don't think any of them have places to hunt rats that I can think of. Are they almost always around buildings of some sort?

I went out and tried around some grain bins last night and didn't see anything. I tried mouse distress and called in a house cat.

Jeff

This is why I like the Hawke scopes for air rifles. I can sit with a range finder and put a round on target at any given distance. The last squirrel I shot with the Talon SS was 65 yards.

The scope on the left is a SR12 reticle and goes on my Condor and the one on the right is a Map 6 reticle mounted on the Talon SS.

Short range on the left stack to zero distance then longer ranges on the right stack.

photocopy.jpg

Butthead....

That's a cool looking rifle.

I explained to the scuba shop where I bought my tank what I was doing with it so they have been bumping the pressure to 3400. That seems to give me quite a few fills for my Air Force PCPs. On top of that since I am only getting a top off and I bought the tank from them they fill it for free.

Once I filled the rifle tank all I need is to bump the rifle each time from 2800 or so back to where I fill at 2950.

Last edited:
Skypup...

This is the Condor.....it's a hammer and very accurate with the 24" Walther barrel.

Condor.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All
Tried callin last night,jury is still out on that,but did not pull any out of their hiding places.I think its best to let the area become queit,then the rats start to move around.

I also am convinced that they do see some spectrum of the Infrared Light,I have had many duck out of site when I have shined the IR at them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTE

"I also am convinced that they do see some spectrum of the Infrared Light,I have had many duck out of site when I have shined the IR at them."

According to the research biologists, they see in the ultra-violet, blue, and green. That might allow a tiny bit of red.

Are you using a true IR light (black when you look into it, not dark red)??

Originally Posted By: Gman757Skypup...

This is the Condor.....it's a hammer and very accurate with the 24" Walther barrel.

Condor.jpg

Nice gun. What is the effective range?

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTECat
That must be the case mine are red.
confused.gif

Yup - you have a red light, and if they look at it, they can se it.

A real IR light has a black filter on it, and you cannot see it, even when you look right into the light.

You can buy IR camera filters for not too much money - then tape it to a regular light (not a LED), and you will be good.

Of course there are Boone and Crocket sized Rats around too... and most are in Washington DC.
lol.gif
But on the serious side, those are some fine looking Rifles!

Baystate

Are you using an IR emitter down around 805nm? If you are they are seeing the red glow from the emitter. This is what you need.... Order the IR version for $59. It is a very strong IR flashlight and completely undetectable at 850nm. I have one for my Digisight and it works great. Rated at 3 hrs on a 18650 battery.

http://illuminationgear.com/14322/26971.html

Last edited:
Gman757,, thanks so much for that link to the 850nm IR EagleTac, I ordered one myself, that sounds like an outstanding IR flashlight!!!

LOL!!!

I just ordered the EagleTac 850nm myself, that sounds like a super nice flashlight and I cannot believe the price is excellent too! 3 Watts of 850 IR is not something to sneeze at!
thumbup1.gif

You will love that Olight M-20 Crimson, I have five of them and never leave home in the dark without one on a hunt.

Last edited:
Back