NIGHT RAT SHOOTIN ON FARMS

Hi Jeff
Yes its a .22,if I was going to pick a dedicated rat sniper I would go with a .17 more shots per fill. But the .22 is great for other varmints. Yes the PCP,s are more money and then you need your scuba tank and fill adaptor.I have arthritis in my hands and arms,so cocking a break open or springer would be a problem for me.
My buddy uses a real nice RWS break open and he kills tons of rats,chucks and pigeons with it.
I would try your light and see if its to bright.Here is a tip,I noticed that when I have a new battery in the IR illuminator,the light is real brite,the rats seem to notice it for some crazy reason.So I use my new batteries for coyotes and the older batteries that have a little juice left I save for rat sniping,you are close so you dont need much lite to see the eyes. So maybe try and round up a few weaker sets of batteries. Keep me posted!!

i had a pig farm i did a lot of daylight rat shooting on. used a 19 calhoon with low vel loads. some of the best bait i used was old donuts from the local donut shops. they sure liked that sugar tks ken

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEHi Jeff
Yes its a .22,if I was going to pick a dedicated rat sniper I would go with a .17 more shots per fill. But the .22 is great for other varmints. Yes the PCP,s are more money and then you need your scuba tank and fill adaptor.I have arthritis in my hands and arms,so cocking a break open or springer would be a problem for me.
My buddy uses a real nice RWS break open and he kills tons of rats,chucks and pigeons with it.
I would try your light and see if its to bright.Here is a tip,I noticed that when I have a new battery in the IR illuminator,the light is real brite,the rats seem to notice it for some crazy reason.So I use my new batteries for coyotes and the older batteries that have a little juice left I save for rat sniping,you are close so you dont need much lite to see the eyes. So maybe try and round up a few weaker sets of batteries. Keep me posted!!
Well then maybe just take a Mini Mag W/Red or Green Filter. Since your so close to them,What Range are you Zeroed for?? I have Adult Rat and Rodent Distress on my FP cant wait to try that. I use to raise Rats and Mice for Snake food and had a couple hundred in my Breeding Cages (I sold them to others as well) and they do Like to fight and its not uncommon for them to eat the Vanquished. They love blood!!!

Last edited:
Jeff
The mini mag would probably be the ticket,you more than likly will need a pressure switch as the rats get educated.
Range maybe 30 to 50 feet are my shooting ranges in the kill zone. I have my zero set at 40 feet.
Let me know how that callin works!!!!!!
I will post if I have a good shoot saturday night.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Wallbass45

"Well then maybe just take a Mini Mag W/Red or Green Filter.... "

Rats can see green, but they cannot see red.

I dont really know,I dont have a red light,but my Green Laser Genetics light did work.
If someone could experiment and see what works best and let us know that would be good.

Baystate..

I have this Talon SS all set up with a Hawke scope. I could rail mount a red light or would it be better to mount my Digisight NV scope? I would rather just use a light if that's just as good.

I am shooting 18 grain .22 Diablo Jumbos at around 775 fps. The green laser is for hip shooting squirrels out of my palm trees.

IMG_0129.jpg

Gman
That is a killer setup!!!I dont want to discourage anyone from using lights,because you can kill rats with lights.But they do get jumpy after a while.I would mount that Digi site in a New York Minute!!!They will not know what is going on when that pellet comes out of the darkness!!!

P.S. I was wondering when you where going to chime in on this issue,I believe in one of your post about the DigiSight (posts that I thought were informative and the vids entertaining),that you can program different point of impacts into memory for different weapons. Am I correct? That would be awesome if it was the case,being the reticle is a digital configuration.

Last edited:
Baystate

Once you zero the Digisight on a particular gun you can record the reticle setting as it it given in a numerical value. Each time I mount it I record the x/y values for that gun along with the ammo and zero distance.

That's also big plus for the Hawke scope mounted on the Talon. It has a ballistic reticle (map 6 in this scope) that utilizes their BRC software. Just chrony the pellet and plug in BC and zero distance. You can then print out a reticle reference to put in your scope cap and as long as you have an accurate distance to the target you will have a referenced aim point for the scope. It works great. The software works for any caliber or any pellet as long as you plug in valid data.

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/apps/brc.html

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/apps/chairgun-pro.html

The BRC and Chairgun software are also available as Iphone apps too.

Last edited:
I was thinking about getting a Talon. With the Gun a $550 how much more stuff you have to get to shoot it??? Details if you will Please. Thanks Jeff

Thx Wallbass ..... This is a great PCP air rifle. Light .... Quiet .... and Accurate.

If you are looking for a new PCP I highly recommend them. You will need a Scuba Tank, and fill adaptor. Then whatever scope you decide to mount on it. I would recommend You check out Pyramyd Air. I buy all my air rifle stuff there.

http://www.pyramydair.com/

This would be a good scope or the model below this one in a 2-7x32.

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/rifle-scopes/airmax-ev.html

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/rifle-scopes/sport-hd-ir.html

Best scope rings :

http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-airgun-rimfire-signature-1-rifle-scope-mount-rings.html

Last edited:
You will only run the tank down to 2800 psi so you will only need a top off. I usually get mine done for free at the place I bought my tank from. I usually can get them to bump my tank to 3400 psi.

Last edited:
Jeff,

Not sure if noise is an issue but the Talon will be much louder than the Talon SS. I would recommend a scope over a red dot. I will post a picture tomorrow that will show you why. I am out of town right now.

The scope has a high offset on these rifles. There will be a big difference on impact points at various distances. That's why I use the Hawke ballistic reticles and software.

Last edited:
Jeff
I bought my tank on ebay for $85.00,I also bought one a pawn shop for $30.00.I fill mine down the street at the place that sevices our fire extinguishers. He charges me $5.00 a fill.You will also have to have the tank hydro tested every few years or the Gubmint will come after you,the fire extinguiser guy charged me $25.00 to inspect,you get a sticker that gives the date of inspection.
You also can fill it with a bike pump,but I figure your like me and wont want to do that!!

Gman
thanks for the great info!!!!

I am going rattin tonite,and I am going try Jeffs Idea of callin them,I will keep you posted!!
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Back