Newbie etiquette??

Newbie to hunting, newbie to guns, or newbie to hunting coyotes?

To get a guy really excited about predator hunting, I used to carry them to shot gun areas where the shots were up close and personal. Remington 1100's with 2 3/4" #4 Buckshot, and told them if they had a hind leg still twitching, to keep pulling the trigger. I have seen more than one new guy empty the gun on a dead coyote.

I tried to put the call very close to the new guy, and more than a few thought the coyote was attacking them! A couple of guys in particular were shaking after they had shot!

One new guy killed one on a dead run coming straight him with the coyote ending up within 10 feet of him. He turned and yelled at me, "do these dam things bite"?

Originally Posted By: btech29Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: Jim Byers Do you let coyotes get away hoping your guest will make the shot?

Often.

'Ell... I let them get away hoping my hunting partner of several decades will make the shot. It's just a coyote. No big deal. I'm not beholden to anyone to kill anything. And wouldn't ever want to be.

- DAA

Im with Dave, who gives a crap! What is worse is going with some greedy bastage that wants to shoot every coyote that comes in. Everyone has to learn, and its hard when you have a coyote hog along. Just have fun. Life is short, and there are plenty of coyotes.

If you are so hard pressed that you cant let a coyote get away, then hunt by yourself.

Sounds like the OP has a different problem-no one shooting the coyote, just educating them. I can see where a newbie wouldnt know when to shoot and was waiting for a better/closer shot.

Coach em and set close to be able to communicate. If he dont/wont shoot do it yourself.

I'm realizing that fear is keeping Gary from executing.. Fear of screwing it up, fear of missing.. I repeatedly tell him, "I don't care, he won't make any mistakes I haven't done 100 times myself.". Cold weather has settled into Montana.. should be an interesting week..

Originally Posted By: Jim ByersI'm realizing that fear is keeping Gary from executing.. Fear of screwing it up, fear of missing.. I repeatedly tell him, "I don't care, he won't make any mistakes I haven't done 100 times myself.". Cold weather has settled into Montana.. should be an interesting week..

Newbies have a learning curve. I see a lot of them start shooting at the very first sighting of a predator. They usually miss. Then they are going to wait too long to choot or never take the shot. Remind them that they will miss 100% of the shots they never take.

I was hunting with some little girls this weekend, and we called in a coyote yesterday that just stood there, right in front of her. She froze. Typical coyote fever reaction. Oh, well, the coyote still went down. I just told her that if she wasn't comfortable to not take the shot. The rest of the team is there to clean up.

Back