Newbie etiquette??

Unfortunately I have experience with "hunters" that want to do the talk with no desire to do the walk, or may even intentionally blow the shot on purpose.

Sit side by side. Ask if they have him in the sights and ready for the shot. If no, then my gun goes bang. They catch on pretty quick.

^^^^^
thumbup1.gif

Regards,
hm

[beeep] boys... Calm down... I certainly wouldn't have posed the question if I thought it would create such animosity.. we're all hunters here, tearing each other down only helps those that want to end what we love.

When a coyote coming in hard doesn't give me a rush.. I will hang it up.. I'll never consider myself a pro at anything.. I have over 50 elk to my credit, more than twice that many deer, couldn't tell ya how many bears or antelope.... I'm still learning... and I will until I die...

When I take a new guy out I'm always willing to let them take the shot, even if its on my side. It's not that important to me. I'd rather see them get one then for me to take it just because I can. If it looks like it's getting ready to leave, and they're still having issues, I'll take a shot, but it's worth losing it trying to get them on it. At least for me.

I hunt for fun and being out in the hills. I'd much rather hunt with someone fun, that doesn't complain and just likes being out there but maybe is a mediocre shot vs some jackazz that complains when you're not seeing stuff but happens to be a great shot. We lose a few but have a much better time.

The worst is hunting with know it all expert land owners, the ones who see yotes "all the time" and assume calling them in will be a cake walk. They slam the car door, drag their feet on gravel, talk loudly, won't hold still, insist on bringing a poor choice caliber/bullet, and can't shoot for beans. Then belly laughs about how your hunting techniques didn't work so good cause the coyote ran away as he hail mary'd shots at it.

For youth or new hunters i usually leave my gun home.
New to coyotes but avid hunter, i give them every opportunity to take the shot before i do.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisSew, Is that a know?

Butt weight their is moore!

I can't wait, is Foxpro coming out with a "Set it and Forget it" call?
Sign me up!

I’ll give a little talk on the drive out.

Something like this...

“when I say shoot, shoot. If I have to say it a third time you took to long.”

Unless it’s my wife... she gets all shot opportunities until the coyote turns and is going away. Then I shoot.

Originally Posted By: SeebassI’ll give a little talk on the drive out.

Something like this...

“when I say shoot, shoot. If I have to say it a third time you took to long.”

Unless it’s my wife... she gets all shot opportunities until the coyote turns and is going away. Then I shoot.

LOL...this ^^^^^

I'll take just about anyone with me who want to learn and tries. If they mess something up, its part of the learning process. I dont really care if they miss a shot or dont take a shot but care more if they are unsafe and not really taking to the "learning" part. I am also just getting back into hunting after an almost 12 year break from taking care of my mom who had dementia and died this last November. Used to be on here way back as well but had to generate a new screen name cuz I couldnt remember the last one. lol

Originally Posted By: Brian ShoopI'll take just about anyone with me who want to learn and tries. If they mess something up, its part of the learning process. I dont really care if they miss a shot or dont take a shot but care more if they are unsafe and not really taking to the "learning" part. I am also just getting back into hunting after an almost 12 year break from taking care of my mom who had dementia and died this last November. Used to be on here way back as well but had to generate a new screen name cuz I couldnt remember the last one. lol

Welcome back, and sorry to hear about your mom. That had to be a tough time to go through.

I feel about the same way. What bugs me the worst is someone who wants me to show them how to call, but won't take advice, or doesn't understand how important stealth is.

I'm finding out that most people want to shoot stuff, not really interested in learning anything. Lots of people want ya too take them lion hunting, but could care less about the dogs..

I don't take people like that anymore..

yeah, it was tough to go through but I know she was saved so it was a blessing when she passed. no more suffering.

So i guess I kind of screen people who i get the feeling want to learn.

Called in one last evening with Gary, hung up at 300 yards.. I let him take the shot, never did even pick up my rifle. Clean miss.

Tonight I finally got a stubborn pair to come in just before dark. Charged in hard and fast from our left once I figured out what they wanted to hear.. Gary was in no position to shoot so I killed this big female leading the way on the run at about 120 yards.. she weighed on right at 40 lbs. Pretty good dog for these parts..

Getting dark pretty quick now. Only can get 1 stand in after work..

Gotta make it a good one.. ][/url]

Back