New Pulsar Helion, Trail, Core, Thermals videos & pics! NEW VIDEO 9/11!

It'd be nice to see a comparison between the new Pulsar Trail, the new Armasight/FLIR 12 micron Zeus, the "old" 17 micron Armasight Zeus, and the IRD/Trijicon line of scopes.
Would any of the dealers be interested in doing something like that? Perhaps wishful thinking but it would be an awesome evaluation of the various weapons sights!

Originally Posted By: capitolIs there a new Pulsar model that will have a 640 core, at least a 50mm objective with a laser range finder?

The Pulsar Trail XP50 has a 640 core with a 50 mm objective but it has a stadiametric rangefinder instead of a laser. Great unit. I'm super impressed.

Originally Posted By: DarknightIt'd be nice to see a comparison between the new Pulsar Trail, the new Armasight/FLIR 12 micron Zeus, the "old" 17 micron Armasight Zeus, and the IRD/Trijicon line of scopes.
Would any of the dealers be interested in doing something like that? Perhaps wishful thinking but it would be an awesome evaluation of the various weapons sights!

We wouldn't be able to do it now simply because we don't have access to all the aforementioned units. This might be a possibility in 6 months however.

Stay tuned and I'll try to do a side by side of at least the Trijicon EO Patrol and Pulsar Helion next week. The biggest issue I see is the Helion may look better simply because of the onboard DVR. The external DVR won't do the Patrol justice. I'll give it a shot though.

The new Pulsars have bells and whistles all right, but I would like to see what the video recording looks like from the on board dvr. And since Im talking about the video recording...

The Trail has 8gb of on board memory for recording? Ok 8gigs, thats it!? Then why not a slot for a micro sd chip? Pulsar dropped the ball here I think.

Thats next years model
thumbup1.gif

Im saving all my pennies for a trail.

Last edited:
I think you're forgetting something, capitol. We're not talking about HD footage here. It's 640x480 Standard Def footage which equates to 5 +or- hours of storage on 8gb. That's ample! Especially if you're just recording content that people would actually want to watch.

The onboard video is impressive as I've already stated.

Disclaimer; this footage was not taken by us.

Thanks for posting the information. I'm currently researching thermal equipment to make the switch. Been night hunting since the late 70s as a kid with lights and ready to step up to thermal and NVGs

Originally Posted By: Kino MThanks for posting the information. I'm currently researching thermal equipment to make the switch. Been night hunting since the late 70s as a kid with lights and ready to step up to thermal and NVGs

Welcome to the dark side!
thumbup.gif
Let us know if we can be of assistance.

xd50a vs. the xq38, which is clearer and better for flat out killing. I really like the battery and onboard recorder of the xq's but does the bigger xd50a lense still out do the xq38 with the 17 micron?

Is the laser range finder worth the money if your just getting into the sport?? Do you use it allot as a tool or just kinda a fun little gadget??

Originally Posted By: PaccarIs the laser range finder worth the money if your just getting into the sport?? Do you use it allot as a tool or just kinda a fun little gadget??
If it works it will be worth it. Guessing range in thermal is a beech.

Why Pulsar why???? Why couldn't you have a Trail model with built in laser range finder as well
confused.gif
Going to make me sit on the fence till next year? I want the onboard filming, longer battery life of the Trail....but a built in laser range finder is definitely something that will be useful during the hunt.

Originally Posted By: cmlWhy Pulsar why???? Why couldn't you have a Trail model with built in laser range finder as well
confused.gif
Going to make me sit on the fence till next year? I want the onboard filming, longer battery life of the Trail....but a built in laser range finder is definitely something that will be useful during the hunt.
There is an XQ38 model with the rangefinder built in from what I understand for 300 more than the base.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the LRF XQ38 is an Apex model not a Trail model. On their website it shows two new Apex models...the LRF XQ38 and LRF XQ50. None of the Trails have a built in LRF...just the "stadiametric rangefinder"...which makes me sad
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: cmlUnfortunately the LRF XQ38 is an Apex model not a Trail model. On their website it shows two new Apex models...the LRF XQ38 and LRF XQ50. None of the Trails have a built in LRF...just the "stadiametric rangefinder"...which makes me sad
frown.gif

Hmmm I see, so is this new Apex the same 17 micron core like the trail.....why 2 models?? Same as the old apex with a 17 micron core, with a range finder but no on board recording or integrated battery pack??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cmlWhy Pulsar why???? Why couldn't you have a Trail model with built in laser range finder as well
confused.gif

You could always add a stand alone LRF like we use. The SWR Radius LRF is incredible and has changed night hunting for us, completely.

SWR%20Radius_zpsqtfagt43.jpg

SWR%20Radius%203_zpsuynre4nm.jpg

SWR%20Radius%202_zpsqbmcuta6.jpg

Originally Posted By: TatonkaIII've never used a stadiametric range finder. I understand the concept, but how accurate are they?

Yes they work. They're aren't super accurate, more like an estimate (which is usually good enough inside 300 yards), and they're not very practical for calling. Predators come in too fast to be able to use it. Not bad for setting up over bait where you have more time. Just my $0.02!

Back