new on here weres all the ohio guys

I am still new to it. I have learned a bunch on this forum. All you can do is get your stuff together and go hunt. See what works in your area.

As far as equiptment; it mostly boils down to personal preference. Some like the low power scopes and some want more power. Some will say the 223 is best and some say a 204. Lights....a gazillion opinions on those here. You get the point.

My fav scope for night time is my Nikon Prostaff 3x9x50. It lets in tons of light and I can see really well with it. And it's the cheapest scope I have.

Main thing for me is to have fun. It's a rush when they do come in to your calls.

Last edited:
I got delayed once years back, The consensus back then was that they just randomly delay people ever so often to make it look like they are doing there job. I got delayed on a Rem 700VS in 223 at a shop about a 1/2hr away from my house. I had to be back in town to pick up my kids from school by a certain time and the shop owner could tell I was getting antsy. Not wanting to see the sale walk he got back on the phone and they told him to go ahead and let me have it. He talked to a completely different person than the one who delayed me about 30-45 minutes after I was delayed. The funny thing is I was in Vances maybe a month earlier and bought 2 contender frames and got approved in 5 minutes or less..I was like nothing has changed in that time whats the problem now?? Thankfully I have not been delayed since.

Howdy all. Checking in from clark county. Not much available round here. It's all on lock by a few guys. Sucks when you got a case of yote fever. First and only one I've had a chance at got away, to say the least...long story. Any way, looking forward to hearing good stories and making new friends. God bless.

Welcome aboard!!

I have only been out once thus far and the coon dogs put a quick ending to the coyote hunt.

Good luck to ya!

Originally Posted By: badtotheboneDoes my ex-wife count?

Hahaha.... That's funny right there. Maybe I could get my ex to go out.

Welcome!
I guess there are some Amish guys that run dogs down in Galia county. Nightwatchman knows of them. I think he has went out with them before

Another southern boy here. The hunting has been tough so far this year in jackson/vinton county. No snow sucks and the idiots that dont have a clue has dogs here call shy! I called one yesterday that set down and listened to me at 600 yds and i tried it all and he just set there! Wind was perfect and i used the fox pro, and then mouth blown. So far dogs 3 me 0 in about 10 sets.

now that deer season and the holidays are winding down I'm ready to get after them...got two rifles I need to get "broke in" and make some fur fly!

good luck guys

I think I have had it, went out last nigh to some of the honey holes of old and urban sprawl has absolutely ruined 90% of my calling areas, the fox and coyotes are there and so is the county sheriff, everytime you pull down a dead end road he is waiting when you come out. "We received a call of suspicious activity" is their excuse, mean while the dope heads are running around laughing it up. Looking to sell my FX3 and a .17rem barrel for an encore if anyone is interested. Please pm me.

Beagles!How many around here the big males will turn and fight walkers and plotts.the two I have mounted male was 52 pounds and female was 43 pounds and I have seem bigger.Last week over by covington i saw a male in a cut corn field that made my big one look like a pup.I would like to see it done with beagles very interesting to me.

yep beagles they put enough pressure on them to kept them moving but not at a dead run. We always start off with 2 people right behing the dogs so when they bay the yote we are at least in the same block to get in there. I don"t doubt your claims of 50 plus pound yotes but I have seen hundreds killed and the biggest one was 43lbs around here. Here in ohio there is a road every 2 miles or so and when the yotee get across one of them we dump fresh dogs on him and then catch the ones running behind and ferry them to the next road we some time end up running the yote 10 or 15 miles in a big circle before we kill them.

Back