Need opinions on $1,000 .243

Take a look at the Thompson Center Precision Hunter, available in 243.

The T-C's have an excellent reputation for accuracy and quality, and the rifle comes in just under $1k.

I would highly recommend a VLS in .243. I have the exact same setup and their going on gun broker for just under 800. Use the extra money for a better piece of glass or if you don't like the adjustable trigger put it towards that. I personally don't mind the trigger, mine's right around 3 lbs. Mine really likes 87gr Berger VLDs and 85 gr Barnes TSX. Easily shoots under 1/2" if you do your part. Mind you they are pretty heavy.... Just my 2 cents

John

Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision, it has the Target Accutrigger, Definitely a worthwhile look, the trigger is a different beast as compared to the normal accutrigger.

I carry a tank of a gun coyote hunting, it is stable, swings smoothly, and best of all, it is as accurate as I wanted and then some. Looking for a .5-.75moa gun with factory loads and I got it, it is a Savage model 10fcp.

Good luck, being on the forums is driving me nuts, I'm constantly itching to buy new guns.

Lot of good recomendations so far. Again be warned about getting a hunting rifle too heavy. However, it sounds like you may do a good bit of paper shooting. If so I can't get away from the LRPV's.

I’ve never been much of a savage fan myself, but after being around several of the LRPV’s, I had to have one myself. Here are a few 5-shot groups mine (completely factory) has printed of late with just a little knowledgeable load development. Just to help you decide...

My personal range ends off at 280 yards. This is an average group for the LRPV @ that distance. 1” dot for comparison.
4008.jpg

Here is one of the exceptional groups that I have shot with it @ 280 yards. ¾ inch dot as comparison (@ 280 yards this measures in the low .1’s MOA). Still 5 shots.
4005.jpg

This is an average-slightly better side average 200 yard group. 5 shots

S200.jpg

I've got a plethora of pics of bughole groups @ 100 yards also. Anything cutting the outside of a dime @ 100 yards is out of the norm. I’ve seen MANY customs this thing will outshoot. As ugly as they are… them LRPV’s are hard to beat! (and I'm a Remington fan)

Tikka T3 Varmint in .243 Win. 1:10 twist rate and they shoot.
Should be able to get one for around $800 (ballpark) and still have a couple of hundred left over for some glass.

It didn't say if you reload or not. If you do then I would say get a hold of Dtech or Scot at Specialty Dy and have them build you an upper or complete gun. If it was Dtech I would have him build a 6mmdti. If it is Scott I would have him build a 6x45 or 243lbc. The uppers will go on the lower that you are working on. And then you can get the reloading supplies that you will need. Also since you are from Ill. I would give John at WOA a call and talk to him about his 6mmwoa. All of these will do everything that you are wanting to do.

All great options guys and I am taking each to heart. To answer a couple questions
1. No i do not reload
2. I am willing to sacrifice weight for a heavy barrel
3. I already have a 6mm sporter so I am looking for something a little different (heavy barrel) and not in that caliber (.243)

Keep those options coming because they are all great alternatives.
Tmetzger

I got a xbolt varmint not to long ago, I havent got to shoot it as the weather/floods/work/excuses and more excuses have kept me busy.

But the action is smoot, the trigger is great on it, and the balance it super. I just hope itll shoot as well.

Its not light but not overly heavy either, the detach mag also is a nice feature as well.

Good luck

Dave

How about a slightly used Sako 75 in 243? They are a little 'beefy' but not real heavy. All the rest would be there for you.

I know you want a heavy barrel, but that dont mean it will out shoot a sporter barrel. I have shot many rifles with each configuration and many times a sporter will outperform the heavy one. I shoot a plain jane Savage 10 in .243 and get sub MOA with factory 80 gr. bullets. Heavy guns for hunting just dont work as well for me. I think they are best suited for the bench. I would buy a $400.00 Savage and use the extra 600.00 to buy a tank of gas and go hunting!

Last edited:
muddydog I don't disagree that a sporter can shoot as well as a heavy barrel but for every 5 shots out of a sporter barrel you can get 15 out of a heavy barrel when plinking without having to worry about heat issues (approximately but I think I made my point clear).

I have a whole slew of heavy barrel varmint guns. But they're not used for hunting or walking around. That's what sporter weight guns are for, they handle a lot nicer. Even a Rem. varmint weight barrel, carry one around for awhile then switch to a sporter and see which feels better. Sporter weight guns can be very accurate.

With a $1000 budget, I'd get a used rifle and rebarrel. You'll get a much better barrel and exactly the chamber you want.

If you don't like the accutrigger why don't you just replace it? I had the same budget as you and wanted a 223 target gun. Since I was replacing everything anyhow I started with a stevens action ($260 for the complete gun you can pick up a action for less or sell the take off parts) dropped in Mcgowen prefit barrel($250) and a sharp shooter supply trigger ($95) and I have a $610 dollar gun that shoots everything well. I then used the rest of the money for a decent scope and a used stock. I know you said no customs but for me it is hard to argue with the exact gun you want for cheaper than you would pay for some factory guns.

A lot of good advice. I also think a Cooper is worth consideration if you're looking to spend a grand. Great looks, the weight is reasonable and guaranteed accuracy. It's tough to duplicate the cosmetics & accuracy for the price point they're at.

I guess I should have more of an open opinion to going the custom route. The main reason I don't want to go custom is simply because of the fact that I have little experience with this, however there is only one way to learn and that is to try it. Dustykicks, I did check into some Coopers but most were out of my price range and/or not the caliber/configuration I was looking for.

You asked for opinions....

First, don't spend $1000.00! There are a lot of factory rifles that will fill the bill for less.

Second, buy a rifle with a barrel no heavier than a "medium sporter" contour, and at 24 inches in length.

Third, try the Weatherby Vanguard S-2, TC Venture, Ruger 77, Marlin XS7, or Winchester Model 70. CZ 550 is nice as well, so is Savage 114.

There are different degrees of "custom." It doesn't have to be any fancier than an aftermarket barrel. That's not a big deal. Thing about an aftermarket/custom barrel is, a good one fouls much less than a factory tube and cleans up a whole lot easier.....there's really no comparison. They're also not as fussy about which bullet they like. Get any contour you want. If you really want to do it right, spend another $150 or so and get your own reamer spec'd to the brass. Then you'll have a chamber that's exactly what you want and it'll be much better than anything factory. The downside to this is finding a good riflebuilder who can do the work in a reasonable amount of time.

Originally Posted By: DustykicksA lot of good advice. I also think a Cooper is worth consideration if you're looking to spend a grand. Great looks, the weight is reasonable and guaranteed accuracy. It's tough to duplicate the cosmetics & accuracy for the price point they're at.

Finding a Cooper for a grand or less would be pretty hard to do. Would have to be used and a dang good buy under 1k.

i don't see a wrong answer yet, but here is another opinion. if you're after accuracy, spend $600 on a model 7 predator, or a savage predator, take the other $400 and get set up to reload. learn everything you can about hand rolling accurate ammunition, and enjoy the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself. there is some ultra accurate ammo on the market, but it is not "tuned" to your rifle. good luck.

Back