Need 22-250 load help

I have put over 7000 Fed 205's through my Lee handprimer with none igniting. I have had them try to load into the primer pocket sideways. I just look at each primer now as I load them.

jim87 - you may be able to get away w/ using the same powder for both but it is unlikely the same powder will be ideal for both.

take a close look at rl-15 for a dual purpose powder.

in 22-250 i am a huge fan of h-380, and in 223 h-322 is tough to beat.

Originally Posted By: Smokin250I just got into reloading recently and have been trying to do as much researching as i can. I currently am loading for my rem 700 sps varmint 22-250. I believe it is 1:14 twist. My first load was out of a sierra manual. 35.7 gr of IMR 4064 with 55gr v-max. Second load was 34.9 gr of IMR 4064 with 55 gr v-max again. Went out to test them two nights ago...and well they were not what i were hoping for. All rounds functioned fine, but were over 1 inch at 100 yards...maybe 1.25 or 1.5 actually. Shot a 5 shoot group with factor hornady 55gr v-max and could cover up 4 of them with dime, 5th shot was a little off....shooter error. so i know gun shoots great...just trying to figure out loads. I will try and get pictures of groups up soon.

IF anyone could give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

You can't just pick a powder charge from the reloading manual and expect it to shoot well. And if it doesn't, pick another and expect that one to shoot well. Doesn't work that way. You have to find a bullet/powder combination the gun likes. Sometimes it's easy and sometimes it takes a little doing. Choose a powder and bullet then do a load sequence starting a couple gr below book max and go up from there. Loading manuals can be all over the place when it comes to max loads. Don't be afraid to go above what a book says is max.....just stop when there are signs of overpressure. Also a barrel can be happy with one bullet and less happy with another of the same weight, you never know. Doing a load sequence, try the same loads with 2 different bullets.....with each powder charge do a group with one bullet and follow it with the other. Doing the same thing with primers can be an eye-opener.

Everyone has their own favorite 22-250 powder. Lots of things work....... W760 meters well and is real good in both 22-250 and 22-250AI. Even better for me, better meaning faster and more accurate, is Reloder 15. It's all I use in them now.

Originally Posted By: pk1Not sure if the problem has been fixed but the Lee tool would occasionally ignite a primer and primers in the tray would then light off. I use the RCBS tool and like it a lot.

People read this stuff and repeat it and I wonder if anyone really knows of when and where that "occasionally" actually happened. Do you?

The distance between cup and cover of a Lee tool allows just enough room for a small primer to turn sidways. It can't happen with a large primer, which has bigger diameter, but it happens now and then with a small primer if you get to jostling them around a lot. If you're not paying attention, that sideways small primer can get seated in the case. And if you're a complete hamsfisted oaf who's not paying attention, I suppose it would be possible to squeeze it hard enough to ignite. But you'd really have to try hard, I mean really crunch down on it to make one go off. Now, if something is possible then someone sometime will probably do it. Anyone that stupid or inattentive ought not be reloading in the first place.....such a person should only be allowed plastic round-nose scissors.

So why would you tell him its OK to go over book max loads Ackman,(there are more than a few new reloaders here)for you to make a statement that irresponsible tells us all something about your scissor handling capability as well. I think any experienced loader knows that books differ, sometimes by a little sometimes more knowing when you can go over is something that should be made through an experienced eye. You should know that pressure signs are not always evident on some cartridges with some loads untill they become dangerous.

After all people do read this stuff and repeat it.

Originally Posted By: youngdonSo why would you tell him its OK to go over book max loads Ackman,

******Because it's true. Book max is a rough guideline, not gospel.
---------------------------
I think any experienced loader knows that books differ, sometimes by a little sometimes more knowing when you can go over is something that should be made through an experienced eye.

******* Yes they can differ by a just little or by a huge amount....read some of the manuals from 20yrs ago. And they all use a different combination of barrel and components, and powder which can change from not-at-all to quite a bit quite between lots. And none of those manual loads are through the same gun as you or I.

------------------------------------------------------
You should know that pressure signs are not always evident on some cartridges with some loads untill they become dangerous.

******** Maybe you can give an example. Specifically with the 22-250? which is what this thread's about.

After all people do read this stuff and repeat it.

About pressure signs.....this stuff isn't difficult to see, it doesn't take a lot to understand what they are. You want to argue with someone, you picked the wrong person. I know what I'm talking about and can back up anything I say.

I hate to even have this conversation with you Ackman as I hate to give anyone else a chance to read your misguided words. I have never read in any manual that the max listings are meant to be a "rough guidline". I have read in all my manuals that you should NEVER excede the maximum charge listed. I have a few of the manuals from years ago and yes they do alot of times list higher powder charges, and I am sure that has alot to do with liabilities and carelessness of more than one victim, as well as better measuring equiptment and tighter tolerances.And you won't find me listing any examples of loads that are over the limit, although I have had pressure signs like an extremely flattened primer(on a by the book load).
And I would like to see in a manual where it says "rough guidline" as long as you offered to back it up.

Ok......

Originally Posted By: youngdon
1) I hate to even have this conversation with you Ackman as I hate to give anyone else a chance to read your misguided words.

2) I have read in all my manuals that you should NEVER excede the maximum charge listed.

3 I have a few of the manuals from years ago and yes they do alot of times list higher powder charges, and

4) I am sure that has alot to do with liabilities and carelessness of more than one victim, as well as better measuring equiptment and tighter tolerances.

5) And you won't find me listing any examples of loads that are over the limit, although

6) I have had pressure signs like an extremely flattened primer(on a by the book load).

7) And I would like to see in a manual where it says "rough guidline" as long as you offered to back it up.

1) I've been through this same thing before with other fools.

2) Of course. What would you expect them to say?

3) Well duhhh. And today some are more conservative than others.

4) Most likely several different reasons. Now....."better measuring equipment and tighter tolerances".....where'd you come up with that one?

5) I usually don't either. Because firearms differ and also because of nitwits who'll argue.

6) I've also maxed out at book max. That's why I said to watch for signs of overpressure.

7) Get serious....I say the manuals are a rough guideline but they're sure not gonna say that.

Look, your ignorance is showing. An awful lot of people know the loading manuals aren't gospel. Those who don't - like you - argue about it.

Originally Posted By: Displayed Namejim87formula- the 223's take small rifle primers and the 22-250 takes large rifle primers

Hey thanks a lot for the heads up! I was going to get the Remington small rifle 7.5 primers but it seems a lot of people use the CCI primers is there a reason why??? What's the difference? Or is there?

Originally Posted By: dakotasinjim87 - you may be able to get away w/ using the same powder for both but it is unlikely the same powder will be ideal for both.

take a close look at rl-15 for a dual purpose powder.

in 22-250 i am a huge fan of h-380, and in 223 h-322 is tough to beat. Hey thanks, I will like into that rl-15 might just buy both to try out and see what works

He

I'll be done with you now ackman and leave this thread get back to it's original purpose. You can do as you please. But I think that you knowing there are quite a few young reloaders reading these posts it is irresponsile to suggest that they load outside the parameters listed in the manuals.If they decide to load outside those tested load that will be their choice. I don't now nor have I ever seen the need for a few extra FPS. You can call me a fool or ignorant all you please and you can be condescending to everyone here too. Just goes to show your lack of maturity. Good luck in life, I'm sure you're having a good one.

Originally Posted By: Ackman An awful lot of people know the loading manuals aren't gospel.

IMO, to each his own, but I whole-hardedly agree w/t statemnent, even with my limited experence.
IMO, manual's are just reference point's. Just keep a wide eye open for pressure sign's. It's just that simple to me.

Originally Posted By: youngdon

1) I'll be done with you now ackman and leave this thread get back to it's original purpose. You can do as you please.

2) But I think that you knowing there are quite a few young reloaders reading these posts it is irresponsile to suggest that they load outside the parameters listed in the manuals.

3) I don't now nor have I ever seen the need for a few extra FPS.

4) You can call me a fool or ignorant all you please and you can be condescending to everyone here too.

5) Good luck in life, I'm sure you're having a good one.

Ok youngdon.....

1) Sounds.....condescending.....

2) You ASSume a lot. I don't "know" that there are "quite a few young reloaders" reading this. You're ASSuming that I do, you're also ASSuming that there are a lot of them. And you're ASSuming that all this is too much for them to grasp. Look at my post again, it says......."don't be afraid to go over what the book says is max.....JUST STOP WHEN THERE ARE SIGNS OF OVERPRESSURE".....which can happen at any time in a load sequence. What don't you understand about that? Once more you're ASSming.....that someone can't see signs of overpressure. This isn't complex and it's part of reloading. In any two, three, or four loading manuals and with any cartridge......one book's max can be well over max in another. So how do you handle that?

3) You're without a clue.....it's not about extra fps., it's about finding best accuracy, velocity will be what it is.

4) You're both ignorant and a fool. I don't like either of those things. But condescending......you ASSume that people on here are incapable of doing this stuff and call me condescending? You with your sanctimonious crap.

5) I don't need patronizing.

Originally Posted By: Ackman

5) I don't need patronizing.

I think you need a tranquilizer.......

I don't intend to get in the middle of a great pissing match like this one but one thing needs to be brought to light. Many if not most of the gunpowders we use are temperature sensitive. A max or over max load by the book may show no signs of pressure problems on a cool day but be way over on a hot day. For the guy that knows this and allows for it it's no biggie but telling a new reloader to just go for it seems........well...ASSinine.

I have to agree with all you guys. I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. I'm not afraid to go over max with special care and attention.Have several loads that are over max and work just fine. " BUT", Had a 257 wthby was playing with. New bullets and powder with no load info. Started out low and just started banging watching for signs of pressure. Usually flattened primers are the first. The first signs of over pressure on this setup was swollen primer pockets. Loaded a new primer and it just fell in. There was no flattened primers , hard extraction or any other signs of high pressure.
Had another rifle, Ruger 30-06, was working up a load for, started a couple of grains under max and in this rifle that turned out to be max. Flattened the primers hard.
So you just never know, Be careful and know what to look for. If you don't get some help.

Originally Posted By: jim87formulaWell I didnt really want to make a new topic while this one is kinda the samething I was wondering... Im going to be a newbie as well starting out reloading. I will be hand loading .22-250 and .223. My question is can I or could I use the same powders for both? I was going to get Hodgdon H335 for the .223 for my AR's and Mini-14 but I have an Howa .22-250 and I was going to use the same primers and bullets. The other powder I was going to get for the .22-250 was the Hodgdon H380 but if I can use just one kind would be nice, thanks for the help.

A few powders can be used for both, the 22-250 and .223 I use Benchmark for my 22-250 and my shooting buddy uses the same powder for his .223. Varget can be used on both calibers as well. Get a Lyman reloading book and cross referance the powders. I also use Benchmark for my 30.06. I have several reloading books and I use the Lyman and Hodgdon books the most. Happy Reloading.

Back