Need 22-250 load help

N135 and N140 show the most promise in my testing so far launching 55gr Nosler ballistic tips running over Nosler max load.

RE10x turned out to be VERY fast. I need to load them down a bit to slow them down.

ordered some nosler BT silver tips last night. 50 gr. Tumbling some brass now. Will try and work up some loads soon.

BTW Does anyone use a RCBS rock chucker press...if so do you use the re-priming tool that it comes with? Thats what i have and i wondered if it is worth using or should i just use a hand priming tool

Just started working with the 8202 xbr and found that max load was the tightest. 55 grn nosler ballistic tip with 36 grns powder was producing 1/2 inch groups at 120 yds. COAL was standard. Found no pressure signs out of my A Bolt with winchester nickel brass.

I cant state how important it is to work UP to a max or near max load for your individual rifle. There is a reason powder companies tell you to start 10% low of a max charge. I recently found out why that is. I got a new 223 barrel for one of my savages and had several groups of reloads for another barrel I figured I'd try. One particular load that was .5 grains UNDER max load showed extreme pressure signs on the first shot, couldn't extract the round and when I did I found it had a flattened and pierced primer along with case head expansion. Needless to say I stopped shooting and went home and started on all new loads. Lesson learned.

I only shoot 55 gn bullets in my 22-250 now, but plan on shooting some 60 grain bullets soon.
Two powders stand tall in my rifle with the 55 gn bullets; Benchmark and Varget, far better than the others I tested.

Originally Posted By: DirtyJust started working with the 8202 xbr and found that max load was the tightest. 55 grn nosler ballistic tip with 36 grns powder was producing 1/2 inch groups at 120 yds. COAL was standard. Found no pressure signs out of my A Bolt with winchester nickel brass.

Thanks that's where I am headed. I have the Noslers here just waiting for the powder. N140 has been very good as well with super low ES on many loads. I had ES of 1.6 on one 3 round starter string.

Originally Posted By: Smokin250BTW Does anyone use a RCBS rock chucker press...if so do you use the re-priming tool that it comes with? Thats what i have and i wondered if it is worth using or should i just use a hand priming tool

Yes, why not. I did pick up a Lee hand primer about a year ago. Reason being is; I like cleaning the primer pockets in between loads. Found using it to be much quicker then running the brass back thru the press again to seat the primers.

Not sure if the problem has been fixed but the Lee tool would occasionally ignite a primer and primers in the tray would then light off. I use the RCBS tool and like it a lot.

Originally Posted By: pk1Not sure if the problem has been fixed but the Lee tool would occasionally ignite a primer and primers in the tray would then light off. I use the RCBS tool and like it a lot.
I would like to hear more about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack

Thanks guys for the help. My next step is ordering my own scale and powder measure. I have been using buddies...i need my own now so i can play with this at home and get loads right.

Well, the wind was steady and the gusts were around 20 MPH or so. My PVC Target Stand was swaying in the wind and here were my final 5 shots. Top 3 Shot group @ 100yds, 3/4" MOA. 60gr VMAX W/32gr Benchmark. I do not see any signs of canting through holes. (any of them that I shot) The two shots below were .55gr Nosler W/34gr. Benchmark. (current pet load) The groups to the right in the head were all @ 60yds, 60gr VMAX @ 32gr. of Benchmark. I blame the flyers on the wind blowing the target. The shot in the left eye area was the last shot before I shot my final 5. It was @ 100yds and I was aiming for dead center of the eye (9). The faster it comes out, the tighter the group. 32gr is max load....Maybe I will try it just a tad hotter. Next, I will push out to 200 yds and compare with my current pet load. The heavier pill did shoot much better in the wind.
60grVAMX001.jpg
60grVAMX002.jpg

Last edited:
I have three Lee priming tools... my first I purchased in 1978 and NEVER had any type primer ignition issues either.
confused.gif

I have been rolling my own for a year and a half. Almost everything I have for reloading is Lee. I have never had any primer issues or any other issues for that matter. Its not the best but it works for me.

Okay......I used to use an old Lyman Nutcracker for seating primers in my 22-250 and 243 but it got rusted up from disuse as it was stored in a box in an attic in Alaska. When I got back into reloading for rifle I looked up the RCBS and Lee tools and found that there was a lawsuit pending against both Federal and Lee. There was a warning that the Lee had touched off a Federal primer and the RCBS was recommended because they have a safeguard to prevent that from happening.

I've learned that Lee settled the suit out of court. Was it bogus?? Maybe. I really don't know. From what I understand this occurred exactly once. I just did a search and only came up with one reference to the lawsuit.

I have a hard time believing a Lee hand Priming tool set off a primer of any sort. I've been using one since they were invented and NEVER had one problem. The only way I cold see it happening is if the person dropped the entire tool and some how a primer got hit at the exact right spot and this was contributed to the tool but I wouldn't consider that the tools fault. Just my opinion. If you could post that link about the law suit.

Funny......I've had a heart all of my life and haven't had a heart attack. But some people have.

Just saying.....

Well I didnt really want to make a new topic while this one is kinda the samething I was wondering... Im going to be a newbie as well starting out reloading. I will be hand loading .22-250 and .223. My question is can I or could I use the same powders for both? I was going to get Hodgdon H335 for the .223 for my AR's and Mini-14 but I have an Howa .22-250 and I was going to use the same primers and bullets. The other powder I was going to get for the .22-250 was the Hodgdon H380 but if I can use just one kind would be nice, thanks for the help.

Back