My R-15 is junk! UPDATE

So whats the word bobcatspotfever?? You get this rifle shooting dependably yet?

I'd like to hear what was wrong with it.

Quote:
So whats the word bobcatspotfever?? You get this rifle shooting dependably yet?

I'd like to hear what was wrong with it.

Remington is taking very good care of me at this time.Have no idea what the problem or fix is.I am confident that my R-15 will be more than perfect when I get it back.Keep in perspective this is a brand new gun.For all those who kindly gave advice I appreciate it.I took the best course of action for me.

Happy Thanksgiving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Bill

So, whats the deal on this rifle? Waiting to hear how everything turned out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

So whats up with this rifle. I like know because i have one on the way. What should i look for?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
I had a frozen trigger. I racked again and it was okay again. Weird...

Has anyone else run into this?

If the trigger stuck, it was most likely due to the camo film. You can take the trigger out and scuff away on both sides of the trigger opening to remove that variable. My R25 was rubbing with the stock trigger, and the rock river I installed wouldn't even pull all the way back before it stuck in place. I had to remove the film around the trigger slot for my R15 I got yesterday, for the RRA trigger also.
Or just shoot it, and it should rub whatever it needs for clearance off the sides. Found a large chunk of camo film in my lower reciever, kinda like a 1"X1" piece of tape left in there. Also had chips of film in the trigger pin holes and take down pins, brushed it all out.

Quote:
Quote:
TTT

So you bumped a 2 month old thread and had nothing to add?

Some wanted to know what the problem was when it got fixed.So I updated it today if you read the UPDATE you can see I did post it today.But I will delete the whole thread tomorrow.Sorry if it bothered you. Bill

Please don't delete the thread, you just answered a question. I and I'm sure
a lot of others are interested in knowing what was done to repair it. thanks,

Don't delete the thread, I missed the fact that you updated the original post, too. I usually just click on the last page and read, that's pretty common. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
So, would you say Remington took care of the problem okay, or was it a major pain dealing with them?

Thanks for the feedback, it's valuable stuff.

Yea they took pretty good care of me.Just wish it didn't take so long.Remington always has been easy to deal with I have found if I had a problem..Why I bought another.I think he told me the retainer pin and some other things relating to the bad firing pin were replaced too.The people you talk to aren't the gunsmith so all I really know for sure is the firing pin was replaced and what not and the test firing was ok then.I'm just glad its finally fixed however easy it was or was not. Bill

had one do something similar. come to find out the barrel nut wasn't tight enough. so it would fire the first shot and the second wouldnt fire at all...

good to hear you had great service with rem!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
TTT

So you bumped a 2 month old thread and had nothing to add?

Some wanted to know what the problem was when it got fixed.So I updated it today if you read the UPDATE you can see I did post it today.But I will delete the whole thread tomorrow.Sorry if it bothered you. Bill

Sorry man, I too usually look to the back pages or last post to get update info. Glad you got it fixed.

Heck when you get it back many others will give you a $1000 or more for that gun. You might want to sell it outright for a little more. I am sure you could have offers waiting here.

Hello all,

I am sure that you were all thinking this thread had gone away for good, but I was searching thru this great forum of yours, and came across this thread. I felt compelled to write.

I am new to the AR-15 and have just recently purchased a R-15 myself. I have had it to the range twice now, and both times I have had several unexplainable "clicks" with no "bang". There seemed to be no logical reason for this. I would eject the round after a click and the primer would have only the slightest little dent. I am sure that this dent was caused by the firing pin sliding forward on its own as the bolt closed, and was not caused by the hammer hitting the firing pin either too lightly, or thru a gummed up hole, with too much lube as has been described here.

So, because I am new to the AR and have only been reading about them for a short time, I have a couple of questions for you guys that know a lot more about them. I think the answers will help get us to the bottom of this mysterious problem.

In the AR15, is the firing pin designed to be so short that it cannot reach the primer and the hammer at the same time? Like a 1911 pistol, is the firing pin driven forward by the hammer and at some point it leaves the hammer and continues on its own into the primer? If this is the case, why is there no spring holding the firing pin to the rear, so that the hammer can get a good hit on it?

The reason I ask this is that when I close the upper down onto the lower with the hammer in the up position (uncocked), it does not appear to me that the hammer is making contact with the firing pin.

I am not sure how these things are supposed to work, but if the hammer cannot reach the firing pin when it is slid forward in the bolt, that would explain the "clicks" with no dent in the primer. Sometimes the firing pin is slid to the rear where the hammer can reach it, and then you get a "bang".

I think I am going to run a little experiment next time I go to the range to test this out. I will try pointing my gun at the ground and give it a few shakes to see if that affects its ability to fire. If I then point it toward the sky and give it a few shakes and it fires, I will have figured it out.

If, on the other hand, the hammer is supposed to drive the firing pin all the way into the primer, then I guess maybe I have a too short firing pin, or something else is going on that I have not detected yet.

I would welcome any comments on my theory.

Oh, and by the way, not related to this problem, but my gun has an absolutely terrible trigger. Long, creepy, gritty, sticky, about 7 pounds, and you never know exactly when its going to break. I know you all say that this is par for the course for an AR, but for a $1000 rifle, Remington should be ashamed. Especially since their catalog says "And our new hunting single-stage trigger design is as cleanbreaking as they come". What a joke. I am not impressed.

Quote:
If, on the other hand, the hammer is supposed to drive the firing pin all the way into the primer

It most definately is

Quote:
my gun has an absolutely terrible trigger. Long, creepy, gritty, sticky, about 7 pounds, and you never know exactly when its going to break.

That sounds like every bone-stock AR trigger I ever used.

The only time the firing pin won't reach the primer is if the bolt is not fully in battery. Are you sure that's not the cause?

If it is, since there is then something obviously wrong with the trigger group/firing pin, you can most likely get Remington to replace both of them, if you use the right approach (the trigger was damaged by a faulty firing pin, or vice-versa).

The best stock ar trigger on the market is the Rock River 2stage. Dan Carey has them for 99 bucks. If it has fired one time, look at the primer on the fired case and you should be able to tell if it is long enough. Evil Lurker is correct in that the most common reason for an Ar to not fire is the thing isn't in full battery. Close the bolt without ammo several times and look at the distance between the bolt carrier and the ejection port. Better yet, find out what size drill bit fits into this gap. Go back to the range and check that gap before every firing. I'll bet this test will reveal the thing isn't going into full battery. If this is the issue, I would give it a good cleaning with gun scrubber and then cycle it about 100 times with it dry as a bone. Then reapply a light coating of gun oil. I would apply it with a shaving brush. Then go and retry it. Also, the holes you see in the side of the bolt carrier are supposed to have a couple of drops of break free in them. I don't usually keep my ARs wet, but you may have to for a while. I usually lub with spray on graphite lub. It is slippery, but it is dry so it doesn't attract dust.

Back