My R-15 is junk! UPDATE

bobcatspotfever

I have had nothing but trouble with my R-15 ever since I bought it brand-spanking new!

The problem is it usually goes "click" after I clean it instead of going "bang!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I have about 200 rounds through that gun now. I have cleaned it, lubed it, used the forward assist, everything I could think of. I just think this gun is plain possessed!! I even had the Remington factory rep look at it at the Predator Expo. He could not find anything wrong with it, thinking maybe it was just user error, but he saw I knew what I was doing, and it should go "bang."

Anyway, today I was out calling. I called in a coyote and I get ready to fire, and "click!" I took the magazine out, took the other shell out, redid everything, "click." I repeated this several more times, all the while making lots of noise. I was in total camo in the treeline, though.

Then I had another coyote come in, and it stood broadside, and I said, "This time it's going to work." "Click!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Then as I was preoccupied redoing everything, I look around to see, and I don't see anything. But then, wait, I see a coyote sitting down watching my MoJo decoy about 60 yards away. I put the crosshairs on him, and "click!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif This coyote was very patient, even though I was making lots of noise and everything. I repeated this at least 10 times with all the shells on the ground with at least 10 clicks, so I know, so 10 clicks on this one coyote before he finally leaves. I switched sounds, and after 5 minutes I finally got another one to come in -- don't know if it was the same one or not. This time it went "bang." The coyote did a bang flop.

I am not too happy with this rifle, and I am going to email Byron South now, because he told me at the Predator Expo if I had any more trouble with this gun to let him know right away. I am sure he will maybe get me another new one, at least I hope.

UPDATE .....I should receive it back wednesday.They said it was a defective firing Pin.I have since purchased a Signature series R-15 with no problems at all.As soon as I get this one back my local gun shop said he will buy it from me for 1000.00 bucks.
Bill

Last edited:
Wow, that is really weird
i have never had a problem with mine! I have pulled the bolt back and let it slow to not make much noise and ive *clicked* on a yote, but that was all my fault. Im sorry yours sucks. i hope you get it figured it out get a new one and learn to love it. Good Luck!!

WOW!

I'm certainly no expert on AR's but to me I would check the bolt and firing pin! Is there maybe crud in the firing pin boss that keeps it from making forward contact with the primer. Does the pin actually hit and dent the primer? Could be something very simple and probably is... a full disasembly and close inspection is needed and that's for sure!

Nikonut

More info please. Are the primers dented at all or very little? Pull the firing pin out and check it. Dont give up on it, it probably just has something minor wrong with it.

How about contacting Remington and seeing if they will fix it. they've been very good on fixing any of their products I've ever sent them.

Nikonut,

This gun has been a problem ever since I bought it new this summer. I posted about this problem shortly after I bought it. I stripped everything, did everything, lubed everything, and, like I said, had the factory rep at the Predator Expo look at it. He could not find anything wrong. I know how to use the foward assist and everything, although I shouldn't have to. And yes, I get light primer strikes, but not all the time. The bullet looks like it does not grab and slides out of the chamber. But then, when it does grab, sometimes it will go "click," too.

Byron told me he would see to it that I got treated right if I kept having that problem. I was in the military, too, and I know how these things are supposed to go "bang!"

AR's are about the simplest firearm to work on and figure out. More than likely would take someone who is even remotely knowledgeable to figure it out in no time. Broken spring, dirty chamber and the case isn't seating in the chamber all the way etc... Just call Remington. Don't hate the gun, it's not like a bolt gun when you can get a lemon, something very simple is messing it up.

The gun has a mind of its own. Once you can get it to go "bang" usually all the rest will go "bang." What seems to happen when you are starting fresh for the day, the gun will go "click" more times than "bang" before you get it to go "bang" every time. Not good when you are out calling all day and Mr. Coyote shows up and your gun goes "click!" The range is a whole new ball game. I did call Remington. They want to see the gun. They wanted ME to send it on MY OWN Dollar, but I finally convinced them to send me a call tag, but regardless I think I should get a new gun, even if this one is repairable. I bought it new; I should get a new replacement. I PM'd Byron. I'll wait and see what he tells me to do before I do anything else. The thing I don't like what the rep told me at Remington is it could take 2 months before they get to look at it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif That is why I want to see if I can get a new one, quicker, also. I am sure Byron will help me out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Thanks for listening. I tell you it is the gun, not me or my ammo.

That's too bad about the gun. You may want to keep you and Byron's discussion private about this matter.

Good luck to you and I hope Remy helps you out.

I doubt seriously that you will get a new rifle, guns aren't like most other consumer goods. The gun is registered to you and you own it. It's not Remingtons fault, talk to the BATF.

Your problem is going to be a minor one and Remington will fix it. I'd bet on something being in the bolt face, a metal shaving more than likely. I'd take the thing apart and clean the bolt, especially the bolt face as completelt as possible, Q-tips and pipe cleaners for cleaning every darned thing out. I wouldn't put any wet lub in the bolt face or on the firing pin. If it were me I'd replace the firing pin while I was at it. The only other thing that could be a problem is a weak hammer spring, another easy fix, but you could probably tell if you had a weak spring. Something is preventing the firing pin from moving properly. That id for sure .... did I already say to run the firing pin DRY.

If you have a friend or know some one with an AR, try swapping the bolt and carrier, then the bolt, then the carrier, to narrow down the problem. If you can narrow it down then you may not have to ship the whole rifle to Remington.
Also, go to AR15.com and post your problem there. There are some very knowledgeable folks there that would be more than happy to try to help. They may help troubleshoot it. Post it in the tech forum. Their general forum gets kinda silly sometimes.
Lastly, Ive dealt with Bushmaster tech support over the phone, concerning a Predator I had that was short stroking.
I found their support very helpful and we got my rifle working with their guidance. If you still can't get it working, let me know and I'll buy it off of ya!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
Back