most accurate 22 pistol?

For an accurate throw it in a nice holster and go hunting type of pistol, the High Standard Sharpshooter with a 4" heavy barrel and excellent adjustable sights is hard to beat in my book.

None of these are mine but some good examples for those who aren't familiar with a Sharpshooter. Shooting one of these make a current production Ruger or Buckmark feel rather pedestrian, but they are both good economic pistols.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=534180263#PIC

I guess you'll have to cut and paste this link.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTcc8EQ4VWaSIA9GwnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEzdnFtbm92BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDRkZSVkJLXzEEc2VjA3Nj?p=High+Standard+Sharpshooter&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

Originally Posted By: loyOriginally Posted By: kyle`Originally Posted By: pahntr760Ruger MK series. With heavy bbl.

x4
X5
X6

Originally Posted By: tripod3 Be prepared to ask for help if you ever want to strip it down.

+1. Stripping down is very easy. Reassembly is frustratingly
impossible until you know EXACTLY how to do it. I found out
only by viewing YouTube several times.

Some pistols START accurate, and some you have to make accurate. Chances are ....the more you spend, the higher the accuracy.

Last edited:
I must have been unlucky with my Buckmark....it never was nearly as accurate as the Ruger 22/45 it was meant to replace. 3" groups at 50' were all I could ever must with it even from a rest.

My Ruger MKIII hunter is pretty accurate

The pistol shoots as well as I can with open sights off hand.....from a bench the groups are better without the fliers but real world this target represents the accuracy I get out of the pistol day in day out. Depending on what competition you do or if it's for hunting it may or may not be good enough....I don't use red dots or scopes on my plinking .22s and this one suits me very well. That group was shot the day I bought the pistol, I have since removed the chamber indicator and done a trigger job...those also helped shrink the groups a bit, unfortunately I couldn't find any pictures of a recent group after the mods.

I think Ruger/Browning is a Ford/Chevy thing. I do believe Buck Marks as a rule are more accurate with no mods but you could easily have a lemon.

I have a couple Rugers, Mk III Target in SS and 22/45 Lite. Both shot pretty good out of the box and were easier to shoot good, after I put VQ trigger kits in both.

Been thinking about selling the 22/45 Lite and getting an Ruger SR22.

FYI, some of the newer Ruger Mk's and 22/45's need the magazines tuned up or they sometimes don't feed real well. If you ever have one that has feed issues, take the mag/s apart and deburr them and that'll likely fix the issue.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660The SW 41 mentioned above is widely regarded as the ultimate 22lr pistol out of the box and sure as heck better be for the price. The buckmark over the ruger unless you plan to tinker with it.

+1
I had a model 41 that I used as a squirrel/rabbit gun, also used it at 100 yards on metal silhouette chickens. High standard Victor and Citations are excellent as well. For a budget you can't go wrong with Ruger heavy barreled target pistols. The five inch barrel is the stuff in terms of balance and accuracy, same for the model 41. I tried on of the newer Rugers that has the 45 style composite frame, it had a mice Volquartsen trigger as well but didn't like it as much as the older target models.

I've neen wanting to try the S&W hunter model that is a cheaper version of the model 41 but haven't, I almost bought a used one from the local gun store but never got around to going back and getting it.

The super accurate go to .22 I have right now is a Colt Diamondback with a six inch barrel and a set of Hogue walnut finger grips, what I like about it is that it shoots hyper velocity loads almost as accurately as target loads.

.22's have always been my favorite shooters.

If you have the budget get a model .41, I've regretted selling mine, traded it for the Diamondback which was actually a fair trade value and accuracy wise.

Originally Posted By: DannoBooneOriginally Posted By: loyOriginally Posted By: kyle`Originally Posted By: pahntr760Ruger MK series. With heavy bbl.

x4
X5
X6

Originally Posted By: tripod3 Be prepared to ask for help if you ever want to strip it down.

+1. Stripping down is very easy. Reassembly is frustratingly
impossible until you know EXACTLY how to do it. I found out
only by viewing YouTube several times.

lol.gif
first time I did that it took an hour at which time I had to go away and ponder the situation. Came back to it with a seriously analytic frame of mind, studied the parts and how they work, move, and fit together, and saw that the little swivel part needs to be held upside down so it doesn't get in the way and managed to figure it out.

Who makes a gun that you have to hold in exactly the right position to get it back together? Oh yeah, Ruger.

Originally Posted By: GLShooterRemington Nylon 66.

Greg

Funny you would say that. I had one in the 70's that I shot until the bolt flew apart. It would even pop off 2 or 3 at times full auto. I found one brand new in the mid 90's at a small town gun store. Old guy said he got 7 of them when they quit making them and it was the last one. Fill the stock tube up and tried to chamber a round and they all tried to go in the chamber. That was Remington's 2nd strike.

Back