Misting?

misting put a simple way is to spray some animals or collection of animals piss in the wind in hopes that it confuses the coyote long enough for you to take a shot!! pretty simple but IMO is a huge waste of time not to mention the god-awful smell. and by the way I have attemted this and the smell on my clothes was enough to deter me from ever doing it again

I use misting and in my opinion it is better to use it then not. The idea is to spray it down wind and spray enough to cover a good amount of area that way when something goes down wind yes it will smell you but its also smelling hot hot hot scent of different animals all around him not just coming from you but its coming from the rocks and trees and brush all around the coyote and I personally have seen it work time and time again. I have even seen it work to were the coyote runs in gets shot at so we switch sounds and watch as it circles down wind and walk back and forth with that nose in the air giving me time to get my sights on them. But it is a touchy subject and I agree with weasel that you should just try it and see for yourself but give it a few tries. If you just try it once and you don't see results then try it again and again till you are certain if it works for you. Not even a electronic call works every time.

Mofarmboy,close but no cigar.It is supposed to confuse the coyote by causing a sort of sensory overload.The concoction contains the urine of various animals including coyote.There seems to be a big secret as to the exact percentages of each particular species.There are potentially too many variables to consistently produce the exact same product each time in my opinion.It is NOT a cover scent,it will NOT prevent your scent from reaching the coyote.It is strictly designed to temporarily confuse the coyote long enough to give you time for a shot.Learning to be quicker on the trigger and practice on moving targets is cheaper and simpler.And yes, the theory is to continuously mist the air and bushes around you during the set.

Quote:
Errick, if you've had many circling downwind out of shotgun range I'd say a rifle would eliminate that problem.

A rifle would not eliminate the problem, nor slow it down, nor cure it, but it would allow you get shots at the coyotes you are not getting shots at now.

Sorry AZ. Had to do it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif No harm, no foul eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Misting, when done correctly, will keep a coyote around longer. I don't use it for all situations but there are specific circumstances when misting the downwind and/or your caller/decoy will prove beneficial. I have experienced first hand misting and seen it's results.

Taking steps to insure your human scent is not on your caller or decoy combined with misting them can create situations as seen below. A hunter I know sets up these type stands on purpose to get coyotes in close and snap pictures or video of them.

Minaska2005-1.jpg

Minaska2002.jpg

DSC00933.jpg

Canonpics039.jpg

Canonpics033.jpg

Canonpics037.jpg

Canonpics030.jpg

I have many pictures of coyotes hanging around in the downwind. I have some pictures of coyotes coming into the call from the downwind.

hyperwrx-- While I have no doubt of your success while misting, I have seen the same things as your pics happen without misting. what percentage of your stands do you mist and how can you tell the difference if you dont. are you only seeing coyotes on the downwind when misting?
please dont take this as an attack just trying to clarify the statements

Most of my sets run about 15 minutes and 20 on the outside. Staying still is one key I've found to consistency. Got a friend whom I've always thought was a good caller and he tried the misting thing for a couple of years. His percentages were not any better than mine. I really didn't see any advantage and him and I both came home stinking.

I've hunted with him a few times and the wife wouldn't let me in the door til I threw my clothes in the washer and took a shower. If it makes you feel good go ahead, but my limited experience seems to say it doesn't make a darn bit of difference.

Of course I also rate it right up there with wearing a Ghilli suit. I do wear some camo, but have shot hundreds of coyotes with nothing more than a brown shirt and blue jeans. I'll try dragging a Ghilli suit through the brush when the coyotes start shooting back.

Make your calling simple, call short periods and do a bunch of sets a day. I like calling edges, draw and canyon edges, field edges, woods edges. Pick places where your not backlighted and can see a good area with the wind to one side or in your face. If your calling more than 20 minutes there's a good chance that 1. there are no coyotes within hearing range or 2 they've been educated and won't come to a call.

If your dragging so much stuff around that it takes 10 minutes to set up your bringing to much stuff. This is where the KISS principle does seem to pay off.

Mist if you want, wear Ghilli suits if you want, crawl half a mile into a set if you want, but dollar to a donut I'll be killing coyotes while your doing all that stuff. I've never seen a confused coyote, just hungry ones.

I concede the point, but I don't think you can confuse a coyote's nose. I think you can get him to hang around for a few seconds longer by piquing his interest as to where the smells are coming from and what is making them. Curiosity killed more than just the cat, but I've been wrong before!

Quote:
hyperwrx-- While I have no doubt of your success while misting, I have seen the same things as your pics happen without misting. what percentage of your stands do you mist and how can you tell the difference if you dont. are you only seeing coyotes on the downwind when misting?
please dont take this as an attack just trying to clarify the statements

Those were not my pictures above, but a friend of mine. I have some of my own later when I get access to my server.

I mist 100% of the time when I am taking pictures/video. I do not mist all the time while hunting only because I run out of mist continually and when I am hunting with other people in their vehicle I don't think it's fair to subject them to the smell (even if it stays in the back of their truck). I look at misting as another tool that increases the percentage of me getting possibly getting a good shot at a coyote. As Lance said, once a coyote gets downwind of you it is going to smell you to some degree and typically it is not going to come waltzing into your stand. There have been exceptions. Nobody will dispute that animal urine is an attractant and has been use in the trapping industry for decades. It is my opinion that using it will only increase your chances of calling in a coyote.

In the end as Tyler said, get some direction on how to mist properly, and try it for yourself.

Quote:
It is my opinion that using it will only increase your chances of calling in a coyote.

Look buddy. I am bored and I have taken it upon myself to be the quote cop today (ask AZmastablasta /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif). I know you didn't mean it when you wrote the above sentence. Here's your one and only chance to explain yourself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm a predator caller, nothing else. That's all I hunt and it's all I care to hunt. Been that way for more years then some people are old, to be honest it's my life.

I started misting when I was a member of the California Varmint Callers Asso. back in the mid 70s. It had already been going on since the 60s.
We only misted rabbit urine back then, in the 80s we added coyote urine.

Most of our club contest hunts were held at night, coyotes almost always headed downwind in the dark so I had alot of experience misting and trying to win hunts. I liked winning hunts, trophies and bragging rights back then.

No matter what others say, it works. Not only well it stop coyotes in there tracks at night, they sometimes even respond to the source of the smell.

I'm not asking you to believe it works, I'm telling you it does. Any advantage when coyote calling should not be overlooked, even if you're an expert.

Now boys I have the final word on this matter (do you believe that?). Weasel informed me that misting was simply
spraying scent downwind during a stand. Never heard anyone call this misting. "Heck" I've been doing this for years using rabbit urin. I don't know if it matters but I don't think it hurts. My partner Joe ties a rag onto his front and rear bumpers and drops on skunk scent when he is hunting out of his rig at night.
Yo, mist this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Grizz

Quote:
I'm a predator caller, nothing else. That's all I hunt and it's all I care to hunt. Been that way for more years then some people are old, to be honest it's my life.

I started misting when I was a member of the California Varmint Callers Asso. back in the mid 70s. It had already been going on since the 60s.
We only misted rabbit urine back then, in the 80s we added coyote urine.

Most of our club contest hunts were held at night, coyotes almost always headed downwind in the dark so I had alot of experience misting and trying to win hunts. I liked winning hunts, trophies and bragging rights back then.

No matter what others say, it works. Not only well it stop coyotes in there tracks at night, they sometimes even respond to the source of the smell.

I'm not asking you to believe it works, I'm telling you it does. Any advantage when coyote calling should not be overlooked, even if you're an expert.

Right on Billy... You see there, Danny's got the last word on the matter. Grizz

I stand corrected /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif, read below VVVV /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I've obviously never tried it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

What's up with you guys? Shouldn't you be at each others throats by now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
How 'bout if you mist during the summer and carry a 17HMR? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Weasel,

How about this one:

The great misting (pissing) master, LB would tell you it's the only way to hunt. I say kill the coyote before it gets down wind of you and you have no worries. But, if you insist on pissing into the wind, then be ready for it to drift back into your face when the wind shifts, be ready for it leak out of the bottle onto your clothes and into your truck. But, at least you might kill another coyote that stands around to question why that hunter also stinks like various urines.

But, I'm sure LB's not wrong. How could he be? He's the grand daddy of all things predator.

Randy

R Buker, I kinda have to stand behind LB, don't mean I believe him though, we did go to high school together. Don't want him talking bad about me to my old girl friends.

Weasel-UT and GRIZZLYONE along with LB are ex members of the club I use to belong to, different chapters.

No matter if we were misting or not, we all had fun and made life long friends.....Killed alot of coyotes too.

Back