Minnesota LIGHT law LOOK HERE

Mudflap,

Jim Stephans will not be a good person to have in our corner. He's an avid predator hunter but is completely against any sort of artificial light use for predators. His main reason is that he'd be called out so often to follow up on "poaching" complaints. I've visited with him on a few different occasions.

Where are you from? And, who is this lobbiest? I'd be interested in attending that meeting if I can make it. I don't know how far you are from me. I'm just north of Alexandria a half hour.

We need more support here guys. The representatives and senators who will keep it in mind are brushing you off. They say they will review it when it crosses their desk. That's just a way of them saying they don't think we have a snowball's chance in hell. We need someone to author it. I'm thinking those guys who authored the coyote bounty might be ok. We just need one of them to get the ball rolling.

Any ideas?

PS, I'll be working on a commentary to submit to the outdoor news. It might create a fire storm but at least it will get people thinking and moving. We'll see if they will let me in.

I know the bill originated from a Rep. in swift county. It came from the commishioner to the Rep. I'll try to get some more info.

Randy our bowfishing club in MN is also working on the same thing right now for the use of artificial light for bowfishing at night. And I believe we are also working on setting up a meeting very soon to talk with some of the guys higher up in the DNR. We would be glad to work together on this because it is along the same lines. And with the both of us working on this it might turn some heads. I can put you in contact with our MN club president and we can figure out some means of attack. Let me know what you think. I am sure there is a ton of support for this. But we just have to convince the dnr also.

This would be nice to because I coyote hunt every winter in MN and night hunting them would add some more excitement.

Buker

Rep. Aaron Peterson(DFL) was the author of the Bounty bill. He might be a good start.
John Baker was the Swift county commissioner who brought this idea to Rep. Peterson. Mr. Baker's e-mail is [url=mailto:jebaker@info-link.net

Randy and the rest of the crew. Just let me know where to sign when it's time. I would love to hunt at night with lights for coon and K9's.

Lights

I sure hope we can get something going....I would like to hunt at night also with a light....working togather maybe we can make it happen....keep us posted thanks.......stump

DeadeyeMN,

I was surfing the house of representatives page the other day and I saw your bill there.

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to get together. Send me contact info. [url=mailto:foxhunter_56308@hotmail.com

Ok I called the state back again this morning and I wish to apoligize to the folks here for the information I put up I was wrong. I was informed that lights no matter if it cast a beam or illuminates an area you are still useing artificial lights and it is illegal. I then ask why it was diffrent with hunting raccoons and the guy could not give me an answer, but I wanted to know the diffrence, and he got all pissy. I then told him about the individual that I had talked to before on this subject and his responce was he could not controll what other plps, answer's are on the subject and he can not help it if they do not know the diffrence. I stopped and thought for a moment and reply you just told me that you did not now why you can use a light for coon hunting but not coyotes, i could hear him breathing heavy so I told him good day and thank you for his help. I will be writen in to also help get this changed so we all can use a light sorce. Randy thank you for setting me strait and once again I am sorry if I mislead anyone on the board.

Randy sent you a direct email with a copy of the email I got from my rep..the concern is that a wolf may get shot........stump

MnHunter,

Not a problem. I'm glad you found out what we are up against before you got yourself in trouble. If you want a really interesting ride, just try calling the state and asking if and how night vision is legal. What a run-a-round.

Stump49,

That old "might shoot a wolf" excuse just can't be allowed to stand. Because night hunting is legal in low light conditions like full moon or night vision equipment, the risk of shooting a wolf always exists. It's up to the hunter to positively identify his target no matter what method he's using. If I were you, I might send him back a polite email pointing this out. Would you mind forwarding that note to me at foxhunter_56308@hotmail.com ? That way I can take a look at it no matter where I'm at.

Later,

Randy

R Buker,

Thanks for the heads up on Mr. Stephans! Seems as though most C.O.'s would rather not see any form of lights being used for any type of hunting at dark. On top of that, I really wonder if Mr.Cornishes opinions are very objective.

I'm from Grand Rapids and forgive me for I misstated that the meeting I'm having is with an affiliate to the lobbyists and gets to speak with legislators as well, probably 2-3 days per week. He is on our side as he is an avid outdoorsman who just recently took up the sport of predator hunting. His name is Bud Stone.

I spoke with a woman this morning and she said he would be a great help with our issue. She went on to say that we need to back up our wants with facts and numbers; The legislators dig that I guess. Also she said that we should speak with the Ruffed Grouse society, Minnesota Deer Hunters Assoc, Ducks Unlimited, The Wild Turkey Federation and the Bowfishing clubs, this would give us some serious backbone! Makes sense to me.

Great job by all of you making contacts and expressing you intrests! I have a few more calls to make myself.

Randy, I work tomorrow till about 5:30 I'll PM you my E-mail and phone.

Randy/Mudflap

Randy
That is funny because I did ask him that as well he put me on hold for like 5 min and came back and said it was ok to use that because nightvison goggels or scopes gether the exsisting light to make the devise work. They are not in any produceing artifical light. How knows

This morning I visited with the editor at outdoor news and asked him if he could run a piece about hunting with lights in his commentary section. I've emailed him a piece to review. He'll let me know.

MN HUNTER

Night vision is legal, UNLESS you use the infrared illuminator. Then you're casting an artificial light even though it's invisible to the naked eye.

gomer

Buker.

I emailed your piece to my rep yesterday and got a response, although I am not sure if it is positive or not. It reads as follows "Thanks. I will see what I can do."

I think this is positive so I will be forwarding him your number. His name is Tom Emmer in case you do hear from him.

I spoke to a couple police officers last night and today about this proposal and they all gave me the same response. They are worried about the repurcussions of lights and calls about suspicious activity. One officer I spoke to in the north metro area told me that at least once a week he is sent out to calls of shining/poaching so he would not support the bill.

As for a petition, i think the numbers of signatures in general would be low, BUT with the upcoming Waterfowl Summit at the capitol in April a lot of signatures generated there could be substantial. This would serve a purpose but it will only be supporting what should be already going. This alone will not be enough, but it will help.
Jared J

Guys,

It sounds like my commentary may be printed in the outdoor news. I'll also be on KFAN outdoors radio at 6:20 AM this Saturday morning.

It's a start!

Keep it going.

Any ideas you guys have, let me know. I'll do whatever I can.

Randy

Best of luck getting the law changed Randy. I can't believe how screwed up some of the Minnesota game laws are. If I recall, you can't layout hunt ducks in open water either (if I recall, you must be within 100 feet of the shore).

Talk about a handicap not being able to use a red filtered light at night! I'm familiar with your predator calling technique in Minnesota....on a full moon. Gosh, those are the nights I avoid like the plague. We can't use a centerfire like your 17 Rem, but who cares when they work in tight. The calm, overcast nights in Michigan when you can barely see your hand in front of your face is where the action is at. It sure would be nice if your game commission would WAKE UP.

Back