Minnesota LIGHT law LOOK HERE

R Buker

Guys,

Another poster on this thread forwarded this to me a while back. I added and spruced it up a tad bit and I think this is a decent proposal to offer up to our lawmakers in an attempt to get them to at least consider letting us use artificial lights in Minnesota.

I ask you to use this in some form to submit a request to your local rep or senator. Simply copy and past this into a word doc or email and get it off to them.

Encourage your friends!! Let's make some noise!

Randy

USE OF LIGHTS FOR THE TAKING OF PREDATORS IN MINNESOTA

Numerous studies have shown that predators have a significant impact on the population of game birds and waterfowl as well as the newborns of big-game animals. In the 70’s, fox were the major predator in the majority of the State. Populations were kept in check by the simple fact that their hides were worth up to $85 or more which promoted trapping as well as hunting and resulted in a significant reduction in their population every year. Although the price of fur is a fluid number, in recent years you would be hard pressed to get $5 for a fox and the result of this has been a drastic decline in the number of people actively trapping.

The biggest change in Minnesota has been the population explosion of coyotes throughout the State. Though wolves tend to keep them somewhat in check in the northern regions, the rest of the state is experiencing a sudden population explosion to the point where many counties and municipalities are considering placing bounties on them out of desperation based on the predation of wildlife and livestock!

Coyotes are more intelligent than a fox and don’t have the habit of lying out in open fields to sun themselves in the winter like a fox will, which makes spot-and-stalk hunting very difficult. Coyotes are also vastly more nocturnal than the foxes were. Calling at night is the best way to lure a coyote within range.

Minnesota is unique in that it does allow night hunting for predators now with some limitations. The season currently has no time limits regarding time of day or night when they can be hunted. Unfortunately, there are only two options to night hunting at this time. The most common option is to hunt under the light of the full moon over snow-covered fields. Of course this option works only when conditions are just right. That includes a nearly full moon and completely snow-covered fields. These options present themselves approximately 5 nights per month during three months out of the year.

The second method of night hunting in Minnesota is to use expensive night vision equipment. It is perfectly legal to hunt with this equipment as long as an infra-red illuminator is not used. By purchasing very expensive equipment, anyone can hunt predators at any hour of the night during any open season for those animals. The problem with this second method is that it only allows those who can afford up to $6,000.00 or more for the equipment! This option rules out the majority of hunters.

Although Minnesota’s shining regulations definitely need to be looked at and restrictions in the areas that pertain to, and generally result in, the illegal taking of deer need to be addressed, the principle of “one rule fits all” shouldn’t be applied to the entire spectrum of the various forms of shining. The spot lighting of deer for recreational purposes should not affect the use of artificial lights as a useful tool in the effective management of predators that directly cause damage to many other forms of wildlife and live-stock.

When comparing various states both east and west, one surprising finding may be that there doesn’t seem to be an issue in states with higher populations. While the wide open spaces of North Dakota doesn’t allow the use of artificial lights for hunting predators, more densely populated states like Illinois and New York do.

What follows is a list of some of the states that allow the use of artificial while night hunting predators in one form or another.

Wisconsin
Illinois
Wyoming
Nebraska
Washington
Alaska
Idaho
California
Nevada
Utah
Colorado
New Mexico
Pennsylvania
Indiana
New York
Georgia
West Virginia
Virginia
Mississippi
Oklahoma
Michigan
Ohio
California
Maine
Montana
Oregon
Texas

Of course, as to be expected, each state has variations to their laws and regulations on this issue.

While visiting with various DNR employees and lawmakers, some concerns have been voiced should artificial lights become legal in the great state of Minnesota. I would like to take this opportunity to address one of those concerns and offer suggestions or remedies to those supposed problems.

The biggest concern seems to be a line of thinking that this activity would open the doors to more and more poaching of deer. This line of thinking is marginally accurate at best. The current law allows the use of spotlights for recreational viewing of wildlife during specified dates and times. Those interested in poaching deer either completely ignore the current laws or do their poaching at times when their shining lights are least apt to draw attention. (Those times that are currently legal)

While it may be true that some may attempt to take advantage of another perceived loop hole for their illegal activities, with some restrictions in place, it is doubtful that there would be any sort of noticeable increase in poaching.

In fact, a simple change to the existing law could actually reduce poaching! Given the fact that on any given night a poacher may be under the observation of a law-abiding predator hunter, poaching would become more difficult.

So in summary, I am not making any specific regulation request at this time but I am asking that the current shining regulations be changed. I think with proper restrictions in place, Minnesota could and should allow the use of lights while calling predators at night and not have it become an open invitation to misuse predator hunting as a means to poach other game. With the wide range of regulations currently on the books in other states, we should be able to pick and choose those that could be easily modified to a final form that will work here in Minnesota.

PROPOSED REGULATION CHANGE

Sec. 16. Minnesota Statutes 2000, section 97B.081,
subdivision 2, is amended to read:
Subd. 2. [WITHOUT FIREARMS.] (a) Between the hours of
10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. from September 1 to December 31, a
person may not cast the rays of a spotlight, headlight, or other
artificial light in a field, woodland, or forest to spot,
locate, or take a wild animal except to take raccoons, under
section 97B.621, subdivision 3, or to tend traps under section
97B.931.
(b) Between one-half hour after sunset until sunrise, a
person may not cast the rays of a spotlight, headlight, or other
artificial light to spot, locate, or take a wild animal on
fenced, agricultural land containing livestock, as defined in
section 17A.03, subdivision 5, or poultry that is marked with
signs prohibiting the shining of lights. The signs must:
(1) display reflectorized letters that are at least two
inches in height and state "no shining" or similar terms; and
(2) be placed at intervals of 1,000 feet or less along the
boundary of the area.
(c) It is not a violation of this subdivision paragraph (a)
or (b) for a person to carry out any agricultural, occupational,
or recreational practice, including snowmobiling that is not
related to spotting, locating, or taking a wild animal.
(d) Between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., a person
may not project a spotlight or hand-held light onto residential
property or building sites from a moving motor vehicle being
operated on land, except for the following purposes:
(1) safety;
(2) emergency response;
(3) normal vehicle operations; or
(4) performing an occupational duty.

(PROPOSED CHANGE) A person may, while on foot and at least 200 feet from a vehicle, use a hand-held artificial light to assist in the hunting of foxes, bobcats, coyotes and raccoons while using hand-held, mouth operated or electronic calling devices.

I ask you to please consider sponsoring a bill that would allow hunting predators with an artificial light and stop punishing law-abiding hunters for fear that it could increase poaching deer. Please consider a law that would help with the management of predators in the great state of Minnesota.

Randy;

Sounds good. Where do I sign for petition purposes?

One thought is that one of our retired wardens is in the state legislature, perhaps he should be contacted?

Randy

I haven't started any petition.

I think first we need a feel for any lawmakers who might be interested in finding out more and sponsoring a bill.

There's a lot of adversity with this idea. The CO's that I've talked to have not been willing to endorse it at all and in fact have been very much against it. There's no doubt that it will make their jobs harder. I wonder if our retired game warden will feel the same? If I remember right, his name is Tony Cornish?

Randy,

That is correct; Mr. Cornish has made great strides with old and outdated laws for the State of Mn. This according to another retired C.O. who taught a class in Nat Res Enforcement.

If I get a chance I'll give him a call and pick his brain a bit and try to plant a seed. This guy who is teaching these classes is all for change on many rediculous old laws that have been around too long. This ret. C.O. is good friends with Tony and may be a feather in our cap!

I did have a conversation with that teacher a year ago and suggested that he not be the only one rendering Ideas to Mr. Cornish. I said John-q-public should be involved in desicion making so as to conform new laws that may be easier to understand and comply with. He agreed. I told him to feel free to give me a call anytime if he needed a Minnesota Sportsmans opinion.

I'll see what I can do.

Randy

Mudflap,

Go for it.

In fact, feel free to give him my phone number if he wants another opinion. I'm at 218-338-HUNT (4868)

Let's get this thing pushing right now while that whole topic of coyote bounties is hot.

The following is a copy of the note I just sent my senator along with the article posted above.

Keep pushing. Enlist the help of everyone you can think of. We need to do more than just send an email and hope it helps. We need to get face to face with these folks. We need to explain and ask for their help.

Dear Mr. Larson,

I am an avid sportsman living in Parkers Prairie. I have been following the coyote bounty issue with great interest. While I understand concerns on both sides, I have a similar, related issue I'd like to share with you.

Briefly, approximately 1/2 of all states in our nation allow some sort of predator hunting at night with artificial lights. Those states suffer no ill effects from this and in fact, are able to add it to their list of predator management techniques.

The following is a brief article highlighting some of the issues with night hunting predators with artificial lights. Please look it over.

I would like the opportunity to visit with you about this issue. Feel free to call me, toll free at 1-800-930-0761 at your leisure.

Anyway, I look forward to visiting with you on this issue.

Thank you for your time and the following is the article I referenced above.

Sincerely Yours,

Randy Buker

Randy
I called the state, and they told me you can use artificial lights. Here is the thing you can use an artificial light as long as it has a filtered lens. What this is, a lens that covers the light so it does not produce a beam, such as a red lens. The lens over the light illuminates its surroundings and does not produce a beam there for making it alrite to use. I have use it on several outing s and it works great. There eyse light up just as well with the filtered lens as with out. It will reduce your shooting distance to about 150 yrds with the lens on

MN HUNTER

I don't doubt someone at headquarters told you that, but I'd sure like t see that in writing! I bet most COs don't read it that way!

gomer

MnHunter,

I've called and checked and checked and checked and...

That's not the story I've heard at all.

The regs are pretty specific where they talk about not using an "artificial" light to take wildlife.

I'd not risk it.

Can you be more specific about the filter you are using though? You lost me.

Thanks
Randy

most of the lights you buy on the market come with a red lens that is the one I use. I will call back up to the state and talk with them again and get somthing in writing. I would hate to get popped while using it then

Let us know how it turns out. We'll be curious.

In the mean time, contact your representative and senator and let them know what you'd like.

Thanks
Randy

I dont know about the whole red filter as being legal, but this law that Randy posted is something that we need to get to all of the representatives in the Northern state of Minnesota.

Randy Buker,

I've set up a meetimg on fri night with a local lobbyist to discuss these issues.

Also, what do you think about enlisting the help of C.O. Stephans? He's a big time pred hunter that worked the Alexandria area and is now working the Wilmar area. If anyone knows him perhaps a phone call to see if he could help out with these issues.

I think your letter looks great! I'm also going to make some calls to other pred hunters that I know up here and I'll send this huge snowball your way. Who knows, maybe it'll roll all the way to the floor for a positive vote!!

If any other pred hunters or retired C.O.'S have any questions I'll turn them to this board so they can be informed.

To all others, Great job contacting your reps!

Randy

MN Hunter,

In no way would I ever call a fellow pred hunter a liar. I have not ever seen such thing in writing. I would like to see where exactly it's written so as to confirm what this man told you. This is the first I've heard this.

Any more info?

Randy

Believe me I will be calling thurs. to get the full story on this. I am simple going on what I was told when I call up to St.Paul and talked with the individual but I will surely write in tommorrow and let everone now what I found out, because I am having second thoughts on what I was told and worse yet I have used the red light to take yotes. So am I a law breaker do I turn myself in because I went on the info that I got from the state on minnesota, the plp that are suppose to be the athurity in these situations. I will let you folks now what is going on

R Buker

Thanks for the excellent article for forwarding to my rep. I have a large hunting family and I know many of us will be sending our reps this exact form letter. This is just what we needed. thanks.

Jared

What follows is a list of some of the states that allow the use of artificial while night hunting predators in one form or another....Wisconsin

Just to make this perfectly clear, Wisconsin DOES allow the use of lights for predator hunting at night BUT ONLY "at the point of kill" and ONLY for fox...NOT for coyotes. There is pending legislation currently in Madison that a few of us are trying to get pushed through to become law. A similar bill failed last year. We hope to succeed this session. I hope common sense will prevail.

Guy's. There is another problem looming on the horizon. I have a fear that the DNR proposed October antlerless deer season could cause us some problems too. Everyone is aware of the restrictions on rifles bigger than .22 rimfires cannot be used something like 5 days before and 2 days after the "firearms" deer season except on shooting ranges. If they open another firearms season in October, it could very well shut our use of small bore centerfires down even more, not to mention the added deer hunter activity.
I think the retrictions on small bore centerfires should be removed from the books.

Back