Medical Marijuana: yay or nay......

Back when I graduated high school (1977) I was what most people would call a full scale pothead. Stopped weed when I joined the Army, got married and may have smoked a joint or two on weekends. Kids came along then I stopped completely. Kids moved out went back to a joint or two on weekends, then 12 years ago got a job with random drug testing. Haven't burnt one since. I would rather In the line of work that I'm in ( tree work) have someone show up for work that has smoked a joint the night before verses someone who has gotten drunk.

For those that are clearly against it.. I get it.. I was that way.

I was in the Marines for 10 years and took test after test, never a worry, never used.

I drank, sometime in excess. I smoked..Often in excess most of the time. When deployed in Afghan and other places, i would smoke a pack or two a day and a can of Copenhagen. It took me years to stop, and at the time i didn't care.. I had friends being shot and stepping on mines. Lung cancer was the last thing i was worried about.
It took a long time to stop and drop that.. I don't smoke or dip and don't want to..

Only after years of failed treatment and fighting with the VA. Did I finally open my mind and do some research on PTSD and other treatments.
I am disabled retired at 70% and have a handful of issues, but it's fine. However it was and did affect my marriage, my kids, and everyone i came into contact with.

The "group" therapy doesn't work for me. Sitting in a room reliving the situation and listening to others do tell their stories over and over, made it worse. The drugs they give you is bad, i felt like i was really hungover, bad. That foggy kind of can't wake up kind of feeling.

I had not slept well in 10 years and then someone said try this.. I didn't want to and did weeks of reading and searching. reading about the Isreali doctor that is the leading expert in the world. Reading about the different strains (which is about the same as different beer) but they also have different effects. Its unbelievable and i was really skeptical.

I finally tried it over a year ago. I was sick as a dog.. Like i had over drank.. But despite that, it was the first time in over a decade i didn't wake up from back pain in the morning. I slept better than i had since the military.
My pain was gone, i was relaxed and optimistic. (for me)

I tried it a few more times, and stopped the other drugs the VA was giving me, and was way better.

I have a much more caring and better relationship with my kids and wife. I am more mellow, and used to feel like i was going 100mph and everyone around me was only going 50, and it drove me nuts. Now i didn't care that they weren't going as fast.

I have since gotten a card and had it for a year. I usually use a little about an hour before i go to bed, and then when i go to bed, i fall asleep in minutes, and sleep sound and don't wake up, toss and turn, and feel rested, more so than ever before.
I don't take all the other VA drugs anymore and have stopped them from sending them to me. I found different strains that are best for my pain and other issues. It works for me.

If you are against Pot, then are you also against Oxy, and the other RX drugs they give out too? if not then why? what is so different?

Like it, don't like it, that is your choice, but for me, my kids tell me that i am a happy daddy, and used to be grumpy all the time and now i am not, is all i need to know.

Originally Posted By: G19g4Guys don't get me wrong. I am very anti drugs. With two little kids that I am raising 85% by myself, drugs and alcohol scare me to death. As I said our city has a big big Herion problem. Those users are the true "zombie apocalypse." And it only will get worse. No more are the days that we just had to watch out for strangers. Drug and alcohol addiction is disgusting and I will never understand it. And I have seen a lot of people taken down and made dead from it.

I wish we were around a fire so I could explain to you why I started to use it, at age 37 ( yup first time) and how it truly has been a help to me. Like it or not marijuana is here to stay. Just like alcohol. But whatever we chose to do it is our responsibility to do it safe. I just think that marijuana is the very least of all evils when it comes to controlling things. I am sorry for my part in derailing this thread. By the way You have literally contradicted yourself more times then I would like to point out.

But I have a very big problem with "Marijuana is the very least of all evils" because this is not true if you take into account how many kids start out on a bowl or two before school, maybe a bowl or two after. Then 5,6 months maybe a year or two down the road they are high all the time. No big deal to them, then they get bored with it. Well their buddies say "Here man, snort this." No matter what they hand them the high will be better to that 17 or 18 year old kid than weed ever was... Where I live 99 out of 100 kids get handed meth. Weed isn't bad don't get me wrong, I smoke it. I feel great when I do, am I scared to death of my kids doing it as young as me and not being smart enough to turn down something hard? [beeep] yeah I am.

I feel like in a state where marijuana is legal people wouldn't have to be around harder drugs but where I live if you want weed sometimes you have to put yourself in the envirroment where you will be around meth or heroine or a sh1t ton of pills. Like they say, it's a gateway drug and not everyone is smart enough to turn down something hard.

Last edited:
good points and as a parent you are always scared of the what if's and especially of them meeting up with that kid that is worse than that buddy you grew up with.

I really hope that the leg work I do now as a dad that teaches them other things, keeps them busy, and involved in other things will help guide them away from that. Hopefully that relationship with them will keep them open to talking to me and my wife, but as we all hear about that kid that we thought was good and turned out was into cocaine or something, I just pray that i did what it took to steer them away from that.

Every person I have ever met that supports med m.j. has lied to me. Every one.

If it helps a person with a med issue, have an md prescribe it. Period.
They never want to go that route, it is always about dispensaries....and that leads to outright legalization.

If you can open a dispensary for m.j. then why can't I open a dispensary for morphine?

Originally Posted By: ADKStates with legalized marijuana are reporting much higher numbers of auto crash fatalities attributed to the drug:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140515173507.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/06/09/marijuana-accidents/10219119/

Ever seen the statistics on alcohol related deaths?

Now if a person reacts against pot related death statistics by thinking that it should be illegal when there are a fraction of what we know alcohol kills every year, how can you do that and not want alcohol dealt with far more severely than it currently is?

That is a serious contradiction to be against pot and not think anything about alcohol, and there are no statistics of any kind that support the evils of pot. Meanwhile the casualties of alcohol go into job losses, failed relationships, and financial ruin, and in substantial numbers. Most people have had knowledge of someone they know who has been affected by an alcoholic at one time or another. And how many people have had first hand experience with the personality type who is a great person when not drinking, but turns into an obnoxious and violence prone abusive monster after a few drinks?

Legalizing something like pot does not have the effect of all of a sudden creating an epidemic of new use and abuse. I'd be inclined to say a large percentage of everyone who wants to smoke pot does, except responsible employees who need to keep their jobs.

Originally Posted By: woodguruOriginally Posted By: canislatrans54You asked for my opinion, so here it is, sir........

I don't care how many people try to convince people that "Medical Marijuana" is a good thing....in my book, whether it's just the usage of it's "oils", or it's smoked....I do not agree with it being done.

The feds could legalize all "types" of pot, and I STILL would say "NO!!!".

I have a son (the middle one, w/all the anger issues), who has always been on the bandwagon, of legalizing pot...mainly because he from time to time, has smoked the crap.
No matter what counselors, or family try to explain to him, he still insists that every state (and the feds) should make it legal.

Of people I know who are of my generation, or younger...besides my older sister (age 56) and myself (age nearly 52)...I only know of maybe 25-30 people who have never tried marijuana.

I can honestly say....I have never tried any type of drugs, period. And I am very proud of that.
I have lost friends and relationships, because of my firm stance against drug use.
And you know what?
I am perfectly fine with that.
Don't get me wrong. I miss some of those people.
But, if hanging out with them means that I have to ignore my principles, then I would rather miss the people instead of my principles.

On a side note:

Keep in mind, marijuana once was once an unregulated drug in this country.
So was heroin, cocaine & morphine.
All were prescribed by various doctors (both actual doctors, and also the so-called "snake oil" quacks)...as pain relievers, and cures for all kinds of things.

That was until around 1920 or so.
Then, they all became regulated by the government...either to continue to be used sparingly as a prescribed drug (morphine)...or to be illegal to use.
All due to their addictiveness, and side effects.

I have heard many people say that marijuana isn't addictive.
I firmly do not believe that.
It may not be, for some people.
But, for other people I think it is.
Just as the same can be said for alcohol.

OK, now I will get off of my soap box. Hahahahaha

You've actually "lost" friends because of your attitude towards pot? If that's the case I can guarantee you that you would be surprised by who you know that does it but would never let you know. It doesn't take people long to figure out when people have an uncompromising attitude and zip their lips.

I wouldn't have very many friends if I went there. I don't do it much, but I certainly don't care if someone else does. But then I don't interfere with what anyone does as long as it isn't affecting me.

Sir, yes, I have lost friends over it.
You, sir, may not care what your friends do when they aren't around you.
But, I most certainly DO care what my friends do.
You say that what they do away from me, doesn't affect me personally?
I beg to differ.
The friends that I lost, were NOT because of my stance on drug use.
It was because of the fact, that because they smoked pot, parents/girlfriends/other friends/and law enforcement naturally assumed that I smoked it as well.
When you have a "friend" that visits your residence all the time (who smokes dope)...and the police decide to raid your residence because they believe that means you must be doing it also....THAT is more than reason enough for me to stop being "friends" with that person.

Oh, and currently, I KNOW FOR A VERIFIED FACT, that there is only a single person that I associate with, who occasionally does any kind of drugs (and he smokes pot).
That person is my 27 yr old "middle" son.
The only reason that I haven't kicked him to the curb (pot; violent temper which has resulted in not only his arrest for domestic battery twice, including less than a month ago....but also in 2013, resulted in him attacking me & beating me about the back of my head so bad that he gave me a concussion....in my own home....all because I was watching NASCAR, and wouldn't change the channel to watch the TV show that HE wanted to watch, "The Walking Dead"; other issues he has from serving 15 months in Iraq)........the only reason that he still is in my life, is that he is my son.
The rest of his family...his mother; brothers; grandparents; & aunts/uncles on that side; as well as my sister; and my parents...have all written him off, and will barely talk to him.

How can I be so certain that he is the only one I associate with, that does drugs?
Simple, I have gotten to be extremely cautious about making friends during the past 15 years.
And I keep my list of friends that I associate with, on a regular basis, very small.
That may annoy some people.
But, I am OK with that.

Originally Posted By: C.JayEvery person I have ever met that supports med m.j. has lied to me. Every one.

If it helps a person with a med issue, have an md prescribe it. Period.
They never want to go that route, it is always about dispensaries....and that leads to outright legalization.

If you can open a dispensary for m.j. then why can't I open a dispensary for morphine?

?????

And what does morphine have to do with pot? As far as I can tell the issue of medical pot has never carried over to harder drugs as a "hey we have pot now why not heroin or methamphetamine"? People are too aware of the differences to be foolish enough to try to make that point, to put it nicely it's an obtuse argument.

ha, that is funny about the crashes.

Just remember that if you have smoked or used Pot anytime in the past 30 days and they believe you are impared and perform a test, you will pop and be charged. Even if you smoked two weeks ago you are done.

They are trying to fix that in AZ, since it's not right.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZFor those that are clearly against it.. I get it.. I was that way.

I was in the Marines for 10 years and took test after test, never a worry, never used.

I drank, sometime in excess. I smoked..Often in excess most of the time. When deployed in Afghan and other places, i would smoke a pack or two a day and a can of Copenhagen. It took me years to stop, and at the time i didn't care.. I had friends being shot and stepping on mines. Lung cancer was the last thing i was worried about.
It took a long time to stop and drop that.. I don't smoke or dip and don't want to..

Only after years of failed treatment and fighting with the VA. Did I finally open my mind and do some research on PTSD and other treatments.
I am disabled retired at 70% and have a handful of issues, but it's fine. However it was and did affect my marriage, my kids, and everyone i came into contact with.

The "group" therapy doesn't work for me. Sitting in a room reliving the situation and listening to others do tell their stories over and over, made it worse. The drugs they give you is bad, i felt like i was really hungover, bad. That foggy kind of can't wake up kind of feeling.

I had not slept well in 10 years and then someone said try this.. I didn't want to and did weeks of reading and searching. reading about the Isreali doctor that is the leading expert in the world. Reading about the different strains (which is about the same as different beer) but they also have different effects. Its unbelievable and i was really skeptical.

I finally tried it over a year ago. I was sick as a dog.. Like i had over drank.. But despite that, it was the first time in over a decade i didn't wake up from back pain in the morning. I slept better than i had since the military.

I tried it a few more times, and stopped the other drugs the VA was giving me, and was way better.

I have a much more caring and better relationship with my kids and wife. I am more mellow, and used to feel like i was going 100mph and everyone around me was only going 50, and it drove me nuts. Now i didn't care that they weren't going as fast.

I have since gotten a card and had it for a year. I usually use a little about an hour before i go to bed, and then when i go to bed, i fall asleep in minutes, and sleep sound and don't wake up, toss and turn, and feel rested, more so than ever before.
I don't take all the other VA drugs anymore and have stopped them from sending them to me. I found different strains that are best for my pain and other issues. It works for me.

If you are against Pot, then are you also against Oxy, and the other RX drugs they give out too? if not then why? what is so different?

Like it, don't like it, that is your choice, but for me, my kids tell me that i am a happy daddy, and used to be grumpy all the time and now i am not, is all i need to know.

Man, that's great! I don't care if it is illegal. If it helps a vet I'm all for it. Thanks for your service.

Originally Posted By: woodguruOriginally Posted By: ADKStates with legalized marijuana are reporting much higher numbers of auto crash fatalities attributed to the drug:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/06/09/marijuana-accidents/10219119/

Now if a person reacts against pot related death statistics by thinking that it should be illegal when there are a fraction of what we know alcohol kills every year, how can you do that and not want alcohol dealt with far more severely than it currently is?

That is a serious contradiction to be against pot and not think anything about alcohol, and there are no statistics of any kind that support the evils of pot. Meanwhile the casualties of alcohol go into job losses, failed relationships, and financial ruin, and in substantial numbers. Most people have had knowledge of someone they know who has been affected by an alcoholic at one time or another. And how many people have had first hand experience with the personality type who is a great person when not drinking, but turns into an obnoxious and violence prone abusive monster after a few drinks?

Legalizing something like pot does not have the effect of all of a sudden creating an epidemic of new use and abuse. I'd be inclined to say a large percentage of everyone who wants to smoke pot does, except responsible employees who need to keep their jobs.

Changing the subject doesn't change the problem...

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: woodguruOriginally Posted By: ADKStates with legalized marijuana are reporting much higher numbers of auto crash fatalities attributed to the drug:

Changing the subject doesn't change the problem... I rarely agree with GC completely, nothing personal just a difference in opinions but I have to say he is right here. Woodguru I just dislike you, I think everything you post on here is you trolling, you contradict yourself more times then Clinton in all her speaches combined, your opinions are obviously complete BS, just say if you smoke weed or not man? Everything who is for it has came out and said they do, it's your turn. Are you for or against it cause I really don't understand. I agree with Canis, yeah your friends may have a life outside of you but who you associate with reflects on you heavily. That's like saying "I don't care if you go into the next room and inject your meth, just don't do it around me." Maybe you're being honest I don't know, but I just think you're full of [beeep] man...

thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: CastOriginally Posted By: Tbone-AZFor those that are clearly against it.. I get it.. I was that way.

Man, that's great! I don't care if it is illegal. If it helps a vet I'm all for it. Thanks for your service.

I second that! Good for you!!!!

Ok, I lied. With a little weed, you can toss the oxy,mobic, and lexapro, citalopram, or paxil? Does it take the edge off enough to not act on wanting to twist peoples heads off?
My wife and kids dont bother me, but others can tip the scale to the point of no return very quickly. I dont have the pain issue,not an 03, but I cant take any stupidity without twisting off. I tossed the ADs about 8 months ago. A strong enough dose to take the edge off leaves me with that foggy,always drug out feeling. My current test is to only go into crowded places with my wife or daughter to act as my buffer.

Re-thinking my position on smoking is not an option for me because busting a test is a death sentence in my industry. I have alao never met anyone, that I know of, that smokes in moderation. All of my family that smokes stays high all day, every day. I know that they are extreme cases, but they are all I have to judge against. I know that alcohol can be just as big of a problem for some people. Which is why I drink two days every year. My wedding anniversary and the Marine Corps birthday. I want guns and harleys to remain as by bad habits.

Last edited:
Another thing that I think about is Marijuana and gun ownership. Since the Feds control the guns, when you fill out the form to purchase a firearm one of the questions specifically asks Are you addicted to or a user of Marijuana. So even if one has a card, is he comitting a felony by answering no? The same question was on the forms for My CCW. Just something to think about.

Originally Posted By: G19g4I think weed is way better than alcohol. No cars have been crashed, marriages ruined, kids beaten or stupid bar room brawls because of weed. Alcohol causes people to act like scum. Weed causes people to eat Doritos.

I say outlaw alcoholand tobacco and legalize weed.

The federals tried to outlaw alcohol back in January of 1920, when the Eighteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution went into effect, and was repealed in December, 1933, with the ratification of the Twenty-first Amendmentit. Alcohol prohibition didn't workout so well. lol

Last edited:
Back