Medical Marijuana: yay or nay......

lots of opinions, very little facts.

Preliminary Results From Israeli Study: Cannabis Delays Cancer Development
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/culture/health/.premium-1.651249

Charlottes web strain was specifically designed and bread (like dogs) to treat epilepsy. There is a group of kids that suffer from severe epilepsy. What would you do if your kid has that, and has more than 200 a day? What would you try if you were told that most kids with this don't live past 8 years old? What would you do? The FDA drug makes them look like they are drunk and unable to function on their own, vs. the web strain of pot leaves them functional and stops the ceasures. Is it still a farse and life ruining drug?
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v525/n7570_supp/full/525S12a.html

How about looking up what the differences are, doing some research and figuring it out.

I was stunned when i did. The whole reason it was outlawed in the first place is because of the drug companies. There is an Israeli doctor that has been studying it for 40 years. The research is amazing.

Put all that aside.. SO what if someone wants to.. There are plenty of Alcoholics, are you a prohibitionist now because of drunks? There are dead beats, it's not pot that is stopping them from being doctors, and successful people.
Addicts are just that, weather its' coffee, drugs, pot, alcohol..

The reason there are sketchy doctors signing the forms. (as someone that is married to a doctor) is because you have to have a DEA card to write a script for a patient. If you write or could write for schedule 1 opiod's, if that doctor signs the form for medical pot, they can loose their DEA card. No one went to college, med school, residency, and any fellowships to loose their ability to write a script.

Naturalistic have a different dea card that doesn't allow them to issue or dispense those, so they can sign. Hence the reason for the limited doctors signing the cards.

Like it, don't, that is up to you, but before you pass judgement stop and do some research and find out.

Look up the difference between flower, edibles, vapor, oils, Sativa, indica, hybrid, and vaporizers.

Before you quote back the talking points of the drug lobby, do some research.

I can tell you I have.

I will also ask you to think about how many are abusing and dying from Oxy, and other pain pill abuse. If someone has cronic pain, and other issues, if you put yourself in their shoes for a minute. Think about putting a spring clamp on you arm. Something enough to make you reach that 6-7 pain level. Then try reading or doing anything else for 20 minutes. Give it a try..

Then think about or talk to someone that takes those Opiod's and look at how it makes them act, how it impairs their ability to function and think clearly.

Pot doesn't do that. They can still function.

What about social anxiety, hyper vigilance, PTSD? Do you know what that mean? Do you know that some strains relax the person enough that they can now function in crowded places without issue? What about PTSD?
Have you ever had a nightmare, something that really made you sweat? Make your heart beat? Make you wake up in the night, and lash out? Something that made you jumpy, so much that if a family member wakes you up, you just reach out and grab them. Scaring them... What would you do?

Those with PTSD from killing, seeing killing, and the ugliness that war is, with Pot, which btw is cheaper than other meds allows them to sleep sound, sleep through the night, and not wake up at every little noise. Is that really a sketchy drug? life ruining drug?

Don't get me wrong there are those that want to smoke or eat to get high, but every weekend at the local bars there are thousands doing the same thing.

Last point..
If it's really so bad, then why if you pay the state $150 it's ok, but if you don't pay them a fee, is it illegal?
Sounds like the suppressors, and it's really about the freedom to do what you want in your own home, without the government dictating your life choices or values.
I don't like Odummer, but i also don't want someone else preaching their values to me either.

The VA doesn't sign the forms and support THC or medical program because they would then have to send you pot, and that is a mess they can't handle as it is.

If you listen to the doctors.. They want to study it (meaning pay them to test it) so they can create a dosing, (cause they are smarter than you) and then limit the intake (cause you don't have good days and bad days and are a moron and can't be trusted to adjust the dose depending on your day and pain.

If you think making it legal is going to make it easier for kids to get it. That is just stupid. What has stopped kids from getting it now? making it illegal hasn't stopped it. Legalizing it actually makes it harder for them to get, since there isn't a need for a drug dealer if you can walk in and buy it as an adult.
But parents and friends are going to give it to kids just like drinking, we already have laws to deal with that.

Just something to consider.

Originally Posted By: G19g4Originally Posted By: OldTurtleG19g4,,,Quote:No cars have been crashed, marriages ruined, kids beaten or stupid bar room brawls because of weed....Not a totally true statement..I've worked vehicular accidents where the driver was wasted on Weed..I know a couple of marriages that went down the drain due to excessive Pot use where the party was so bad that they quit doing anything constructive or positive..The same goes for child neglect..

You need to expand your personal experience before making an inclusive statement like that..

Ok. Maybe weed causes people to crash cars. I guess it happens. But how many thousands of percent is a person less likely to crash from weed than booze?

Impaired driving is impaired driving - period. Impaired from marijuana or impaired from drinking either way getting behind the wheel has the same end result. Same same from distracted driving, texting, talking on the cell, ect. Driving a car requires more attention than a lot of drivers give it.

Last edited:
You asked for my opinion, so here it is, sir........

I don't care how many people try to convince people that "Medical Marijuana" is a good thing....in my book, whether it's just the usage of it's "oils", or it's smoked....I do not agree with it being done.

The feds could legalize all "types" of pot, and I STILL would say "NO!!!".

I have a son (the middle one, w/all the anger issues), who has always been on the bandwagon, of legalizing pot...mainly because he from time to time, has smoked the crap.
No matter what counselors, or family try to explain to him, he still insists that every state (and the feds) should make it legal.

Of people I know who are of my generation, or younger...besides my older sister (age 56) and myself (age nearly 52)...I only know of maybe 25-30 people who have never tried marijuana.

I can honestly say....I have never tried any type of drugs, period. And I am very proud of that.
I have lost friends and relationships, because of my firm stance against drug use.
And you know what?
I am perfectly fine with that.
Don't get me wrong. I miss some of those people.
But, if hanging out with them means that I have to ignore my principles, then I would rather miss the people instead of my principles.

On a side note:

Keep in mind, marijuana once was once an unregulated drug in this country.
So was heroin, cocaine & morphine.
All were prescribed by various doctors (both actual doctors, and also the so-called "snake oil" quacks)...as pain relievers, and cures for all kinds of things.

That was until around 1920 or so.
Then, they all became regulated by the government...either to continue to be used sparingly as a prescribed drug (morphine)...or to be illegal to use.
All due to their addictiveness, and side effects.

I have heard many people say that marijuana isn't addictive.
I firmly do not believe that.
It may not be, for some people.
But, for other people I think it is.
Just as the same can be said for alcohol.

OK, now I will get off of my soap box. Hahahahaha

Originally Posted By: G19g4Truth is people who use marijuana are cops, firemen, doctors,

Maybe a few here in there, yes, but as a blanket statement I would say thats false.

Originally Posted By: AdamTOriginally Posted By: G19g4Truth is people who use marijuana are cops, firemen, doctors,

Maybe a few here in there, yes, but as a blanket statement I would say thats false.
True....LE/Fire agencies usually have random pee tests...even though you can beat that too....doubt it's as much as one may think...Dr's, well.....but the amount of alcoholics in those professions are high!

Last edited:
THC is a cheap, easy to get drug that is highly effective at treating a myriad of symptoms. Smoking pot is the delivery vehicle for THC.

This drug was so effective, easy to get, cheap, even free, easy to grow and effective. Did I mention effective? The drug companies HAD to get it banned. Now we have drug companies killing folks with their ultra expensive drugs.

Get the picture? Just follow the money...

I will say that in all my dealings with people under the influence of some sort of drug (pot, alcohol, meth, cocaine, "bath salts", prescribed medications, etc), those who had been smoking pot in its natural form are the least violent and easier to deal with compared to any of the others listed.

Pot like anything else can be abused and misused and have other substances added to it to create different effects, but generally speaking from my experience (never used it, but deal with those who do fairly often) there are far worse things being sold at CVS and Walgreens and any other pharmacy every day.

I did have the opportunity to have an encounter with a combat wounded veteran from Afghanistan, and he was dealing with things that nobody else (myself included) could fully comprehend unless they were there with him. I was fortunate enough for him to share his story with me. His 3 day patrol became an extended fire fight, he was severely wounded, lost several soldiers in his platoon, died on the flight to Ramstein due to high altitude and low blood pressure but was revived. After returning to the States, some of the surviving members from his platoon committed suicide. Needless to say he was dealing with a lot of legitimate issues. He was telling me that in his treatment and recovery process, he was trying alternative methods because all the prescription pain medications he had been put on caused him to have an addiction that was ruining his life. A couple of the alternative methods he was doing were acupuncture and medical marijuana. This man told me that of all the medicines he had been prescribed and used, the marijuana helped him more than anything, not only with his pain, but with his PTSD and the inability to shut his eyes and go to sleep because of the images that would replay in his head.

This encounter really changed my perspective on medical marijuana. I feel that it definitely has its uses. I also feel that like with anything else, there will be some people who abuse and misuse it. I don't think it should be sold recreationally, but then again we can drive to gas station and buy beer. I guess it all comes down to the end user, some people enjoy it within reason, others abuse it and don't know there limits, same as alcohol. But I still say there are many more drugs that are easier to obtain that have worse effects on people.

Originally Posted By: G19g4I think weed is way better than alcohol. No cars have been crashed, marriages ruined, kids beaten or stupid bar room brawls because of weed. Alcohol causes people to act like scum. Weed causes people to eat Doritos.

I say outlaw alcohol and tobacco and legalize weed.

That's funny, but spot on...

If you are open minded and not judgmental you will be aware of far more people that smoke pot than someone who has an attitude about it to where the people around them that smoke aren't going to say anything.

Pot is different than the other problem drugs in that it causes no real physical dependency or withdrawals. The addictive personality who uses pot to whatever degree that keeps them from doing other harder drugs that do cause addictions and behavioral problems is far better off doing it.

You can give the person that likes pot a pound and it is not going to change how much the person likes to do much, it will simply last for a few months. Pot smokers typically do it all their lives to the same stable degree they've always done it.

As far as being a gateway drug, that's rubbish. Drugs are about addictive personalities, PERIOD. Show me a problem person and they are going to have a problem with something whether it's alcohol, meth, cocaine, heroin, whatever, the addictive personality is going to have a problem with something. There are many professional people that do drugs like cocaine "recreationally" and it never interferes with their jobs, finances, or personality. They pull it out on weekends for a party and don't touch it in between.

Pot is one "drug" that isn't a problem, and it would save the government and taxpayers billions of dollars not to worry about or put people in prison over it. Just releasing every person that's in prison for minor pot possession would save us a vast fortune.

Originally Posted By: canislatrans54You asked for my opinion, so here it is, sir........

I don't care how many people try to convince people that "Medical Marijuana" is a good thing....in my book, whether it's just the usage of it's "oils", or it's smoked....I do not agree with it being done.

The feds could legalize all "types" of pot, and I STILL would say "NO!!!".

I have a son (the middle one, w/all the anger issues), who has always been on the bandwagon, of legalizing pot...mainly because he from time to time, has smoked the crap.
No matter what counselors, or family try to explain to him, he still insists that every state (and the feds) should make it legal.

Of people I know who are of my generation, or younger...besides my older sister (age 56) and myself (age nearly 52)...I only know of maybe 25-30 people who have never tried marijuana.

I can honestly say....I have never tried any type of drugs, period. And I am very proud of that.
I have lost friends and relationships, because of my firm stance against drug use.
And you know what?
I am perfectly fine with that.
Don't get me wrong. I miss some of those people.
But, if hanging out with them means that I have to ignore my principles, then I would rather miss the people instead of my principles.

On a side note:

Keep in mind, marijuana once was once an unregulated drug in this country.
So was heroin, cocaine & morphine.
All were prescribed by various doctors (both actual doctors, and also the so-called "snake oil" quacks)...as pain relievers, and cures for all kinds of things.

That was until around 1920 or so.
Then, they all became regulated by the government...either to continue to be used sparingly as a prescribed drug (morphine)...or to be illegal to use.
All due to their addictiveness, and side effects.

I have heard many people say that marijuana isn't addictive.
I firmly do not believe that.
It may not be, for some people.
But, for other people I think it is.
Just as the same can be said for alcohol.

OK, now I will get off of my soap box. Hahahahaha

You've actually "lost" friends because of your attitude towards pot? If that's the case I can guarantee you that you would be surprised by who you know that does it but would never let you know. It doesn't take people long to figure out when people have an uncompromising attitude and zip their lips.

I wouldn't have very many friends if I went there. I don't do it much, but I certainly don't care if someone else does. But then I don't interfere with what anyone does as long as it isn't affecting me.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZlots of opinions, very little facts.

Preliminary Results From Israeli Study: Cannabis Delays Cancer Development
read more: http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/culture/health/.premium-1.651249

Charlottes web strain was specifically designed and bread (like dogs) to treat epilepsy. There is a group of kids that suffer from severe epilepsy. What would you do if your kid has that, and has more than 200 a day? What would you try if you were told that most kids with this don't live past 8 years old? What would you do? The FDA drug makes them look like they are drunk and unable to function on their own, vs. the web strain of pot leaves them functional and stops the ceasures. Is it still a farse and life ruining drug?
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v525/n7570_supp/full/525S12a.html

How about looking up what the differences are, doing some research and figuring it out.

I was stunned when i did. The whole reason it was outlawed in the first place is because of the drug companies. There is an Israeli doctor that has been studying it for 40 years. The research is amazing.

Put all that aside.. SO what if someone wants to.. There are plenty of Alcoholics, are you a prohibitionist now because of drunks? There are dead beats, it's not pot that is stopping them from being doctors, and successful people.
Addicts are just that, weather its' coffee, drugs, pot, alcohol..

The reason there are sketchy doctors signing the forms. (as someone that is married to a doctor) is because you have to have a DEA card to write a script for a patient. If you write or could write for schedule 1 opiod's, if that doctor signs the form for medical pot, they can loose their DEA card. No one went to college, med school, residency, and any fellowships to loose their ability to write a script.

Naturalistic have a different dea card that doesn't allow them to issue or dispense those, so they can sign. Hence the reason for the limited doctors signing the cards.

Like it, don't, that is up to you, but before you pass judgement stop and do some research and find out.

Look up the difference between flower, edibles, vapor, oils, Sativa, indica, hybrid, and vaporizers.

Before you quote back the talking points of the drug lobby, do some research.

I can tell you I have.

I will also ask you to think about how many are abusing and dying from Oxy, and other pain pill abuse. If someone has cronic pain, and other issues, if you put yourself in their shoes for a minute. Think about putting a spring clamp on you arm. Something enough to make you reach that 6-7 pain level. Then try reading or doing anything else for 20 minutes. Give it a try..

Then think about or talk to someone that takes those Opiod's and look at how it makes them act, how it impairs their ability to function and think clearly.

Pot doesn't do that. They can still function.

What about social anxiety, hyper vigilance, PTSD? Do you know what that mean? Do you know that some strains relax the person enough that they can now function in crowded places without issue? What about PTSD?
Have you ever had a nightmare, something that really made you sweat? Make your heart beat? Make you wake up in the night, and lash out? Something that made you jumpy, so much that if a family member wakes you up, you just reach out and grab them. Scaring them... What would you do?

Those with PTSD from killing, seeing killing, and the ugliness that war is, with Pot, which btw is cheaper than other meds allows them to sleep sound, sleep through the night, and not wake up at every little noise. Is that really a sketchy drug? life ruining drug?

Don't get me wrong there are those that want to smoke or eat to get high, but every weekend at the local bars there are thousands doing the same thing.

Last point..
If it's really so bad, then why if you pay the state $150 it's ok, but if you don't pay them a fee, is it illegal?
Sounds like the suppressors, and it's really about the freedom to do what you want in your own home, without the government dictating your life choices or values.
I don't like Odummer, but i also don't want someone else preaching their values to me either.

The VA doesn't sign the forms and support THC or medical program because they would then have to send you pot, and that is a mess they can't handle as it is.

If you listen to the doctors.. They want to study it (meaning pay them to test it) so they can create a dosing, (cause they are smarter than you) and then limit the intake (cause you don't have good days and bad days and are a moron and can't be trusted to adjust the dose depending on your day and pain.

If you think making it legal is going to make it easier for kids to get it. That is just stupid. What has stopped kids from getting it now? making it illegal hasn't stopped it. Legalizing it actually makes it harder for them to get, since there isn't a need for a drug dealer if you can walk in and buy it as an adult.
But parents and friends are going to give it to kids just like drinking, we already have laws to deal with that.

Just something to consider.

Good post!

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerIf weed is able to ruin your life you are a hopeless loser to begin with.

Now that right there is funny

Originally Posted By: G19g4Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: G19g4I think weed is way better than alcohol. No cars have been crashed, marriages ruined, kids beaten or stupid bar room brawls because of weed. Alcohol causes people to act like scum. Weed causes people to eat Doritos.

Plenty of lives ruined by the little green bud.

Plenty of lives ruined by drugs, probably do to hard drugs but most people don't want to admit that they did hard drugs and couldn't control it. So they blame weed. I have never in my life saw or heard of anyone losing anything do to JUST weed. Ever.
Alcohol and real drugs plenty.

BAHAHAHAHAHA... I just lost my job to it. Was at a party over the weekend and was drunk and was stupid enough to smoke some after a year or so of ever smoking any and well long story short I got drug tested at work today and there goes my job. I have seen people spend every dime they have on weed because of the adicttion to the high, do I believe it I'd addicting? [beeep] yeah, no doubt. I was addicted to it. Never once picked up anything worse than CCC's when I was on it either (To those who don't know CCC's I'd Cough Cold and congestion syrup.) I have never done hard drugs, the high of weed was good enough for me. I smoked weed every single day, I'd go weeks without being sober, it's addicting and the experiment are so biased it's stupid. Obviously you smoke, you've made it clear by defending it. I do agree alcohol is worse. But ban tobacco? Why? It doesn't case any form of a high, if anything it's the only one that has never caused any cars wrecks etc.

Oh and in reply to the OP's question, I feel just like many on here do. There is alot more things that are legal that are alot worse for you, like many have said Oxy, Hydros, X, Adderal, Colanapin. These are all prescription drugs that I personaally know people to be severely addicted to. Are they bad people? Some, I have a good friend that melt around 20 Oxy daily and drinks them throughout the day. He's a very good person and would do anything for anybody. Just to be honest, I use to smoke weed reguraly with this guy. Legalize it, in moderation. Like Tbone-AZ said though, how in the [beeep] does anyone think legalizing it makes it harder to get? At 12 years old I could call 50 different people and get a quarter ounce, I knew people who sold pounds at a time. Legalizing will make it no easier to get, I promise.

Last edited:
I say ban tobacco (I use tobacco. Stupidest thing I ever did) because all it does is make people sick. If people NEED something to cry about I say do it to tobacco and the booze. But that's just me.

This whole marijuana being bad or good, legalize it or not, medical use or not is getting kind of old.

Legalize or not we are still going to get it, prices won't change, quality will remain the same.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: G19g4Originally Posted By: OldTurtleG19g4,,,Quote:No cars have been crashed, marriages ruined, kids beaten or stupid bar room brawls because of weed....Not a totally true statement..I've worked vehicular accidents where the driver was wasted on Weed..I know a couple of marriages that went down the drain due to excessive Pot use where the party was so bad that they quit doing anything constructive or positive..The same goes for child neglect..

You need to expand your personal experience before making an inclusive statement like that..

Ok. Maybe weed causes people to crash cars. I guess it happens. But how many thousands of percent is a person less likely to crash from weed than booze?

Impaired driving is impaired driving - period. Impaired from marijuana or impaired from drinking either way getting behind the wheel has the same end result. Same same from distracted driving, texting, talking on the cell, ect. Driving a car requires more attention than a lot of drivers give it.

Correct about impaired driving. But in my experience and what I have seen from it marijuana does not impair driving anything like booze. But that is just me. Maybe it effects people different but I can honestly say that I have never ever heard of a person crashing due to weed.

I know of a high number of users since voted legal, Many are retirees with aches and pains. Several are terminal patients who have never drank alcohol and can afford conventional meds.
Pointing blame directly at marijuana is not always accurate and WSP(state patrol) is still working on sufficient legal testing for drivers.
I believe for this reason the numbers recently posted attributing accidents to marijuana are wrong based on poor earlier test procedures.
I personally believe the percentage of increase in accidents is lower and the amount of current accidents is higher.
Anything causing impairment that opens unwanted risk to bodily safety is a controversial thing. Therefore it will always be available in society.
One of my favorites is a 3 time DUI recipient, staggering drunk, getting ready to leave in his truck. He spots another friend with a joint and bails out to destroy the joint and kick his butt for being a threat to society.

Of course Texas showed us how to handle deadly drunks with Mr Affluenza.

Guys don't get me wrong. I am very anti drugs. With two little kids that I am raising 85% by myself, drugs and alcohol scare me to death. As I said our city has a big big Herion problem. Those users are the true "zombie apocalypse." And it only will get worse. No more are the days that we just had to watch out for strangers. Drug and alcohol addiction is disgusting and I will never understand it. And I have seen a lot of people taken down and made dead from it.

I wish we were around a fire so I could explain to you why I started to use it, at age 37 ( yup first time) and how it truly has been a help to me. Like it or not marijuana is here to stay. Just like alcohol. But whatever we chose to do it is our responsibility to do it safe. I just think that marijuana is the very least of all evils when it comes to controlling things. I am sorry for my part in derailing this thread. By the way

Pharmaceutical companies vest and trade stock, counting on addicts for a maximum rate of return on their investments.. Big pharma is a business first and a healing agent 2nd. They are well aware of how much of their profit comes from abuse. Is the FDA holding out on approving pot due to a lack of research or is it a marketing issue? THC has been around a lot longer than so many new drugs they stamp with approval. Medical marihuana has its place and should be utilized over a mixture of man made chemicals, especially when or where it's therapeutic value is stronger than traditional medicines.. but I think recreational use should at the very least be kept away from the general public. Someone wanting to smoke herb in the privacy of their own home should not be disturbed..

People say pot is not "physically" addictive.. The physical detox from even good dope is the easy part.. Does not matter what you are on, you can go to any detox facility followed by long term inpatient treatment and sweat it out.. But the psychological aspect of addiction will always be there.. Patiently waiting, no matter how many times you say "no" it only takes that split second "yes". You could be 80 years old sitting on the porch in a rocking chair and you will still remember the euphoria of doing your drug of choice.. That is the part many doctors or psychiatrists overlook..

So much information being passed on about addiction has come from miss-informed people.. Most addicts don't even know they are addicts. One of the only ailments that centers in the mind and convinces self "I am not an addict" thru denial and justification. Our society has a stereotypical image of what an addict is; Skinny, worn down people with track marks snatching purses from old ladies to keep from getting dope sick. People get addicted to food, shopping, gambling, work and so on. Anything worth doing has been taken to the extreme by someone..

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZI think it's more than you think.

That's not my experience, and I've been in the business a long time.

Back