Looking for advice on new Fox gun...

Originally Posted By: RePeteI agreed whole heartedly about the 17HH/AH being as close to the perfect Fox round as you'll find but you done went and threw Coyotes at 250 yards into the equation so all I can say is "good luck".

AGREED!!! Killed a bunch of Grays and Reds with the 17 AH, nothing finer than that. I mean a bunch too. From 25yds to 250yds on a Red.

Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110. 17HH.

If you don't want to build a 17 Ackley Hornet, then go with the 17 Hornady Hornet. The 17 AH gives you 2.7% more volume for powder and about 200-300 fps. My Ackley can push 4000fps with a 20 gr V-Max using N-120 powder. They don't come out the other side, hydroshock them to death.

Looking at the cz 527 varmint....ive read of problems with the rugers and everything else i own is a savage....i dont like the look of the 25. Ive never owned a cz either so thats swaying me that way as well. Which of the 3 would have the most aftermarket available? I assume the savage would be the most accurate though out of the box. Any recomendations as far as a scope and what yardage to zero it? My buddy needs to buy my .223 already lol.

The gray was shot at less than 30yds, the red at a little beyond 200yds. Both with the 17 Ackley Hornet. Blood is from laying on top of each other in the truck bed.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterYou might be surprised as to how well that CZ shoots. It would be the only one I would even consider buying.

+1
I like Ruger's 77/22 platform, but not that gawd awful green monster they dreamed up for the HH.
I haven't checked but if CZ offers the HH in the American platform I'd go that route. That's one handy little rifle. The varmint model has more of a med contour barrel than an actual varmint rifle so it's tolerable for carry but the American's definitely sleeker and lighter.
We won't even discuss the Savage.
Luck

Oh yea,,, be careful with those 17's,,, they're addicting:)

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong I like the little Rugers, I have a 77/22 in a hornet and its as handy as it gets but that rifle seems to miss the boat in accuracy and mine isnt the only one they made that does. The reports on the CZ have been really good. They do make it in the 527 American.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-american/

Quote:We won't even discuss the Savage.

Thank you!

You're welcome.
grin.gif

I guess it will depend on price diff. Between the american and the varmint...i still need glass for it. I do like the bushnell banner on my .223 alot. So maybe a step or 2 up would be what id need?

According to CZ's web site the Amer is seven bucks more than the Varmint but keep in mind that the American comes with rings which will set you back 30-50 bucks if you buy the Varmint model.
And yea,,, someone will be along shortly to dispute that due to the fact that in the past CZ has inadvertently put rings in some of the Var. boxes and some dealers have taken the rings out of the Amer. boxes so they can make a few more bucks selling them to you separately but if you'll read the links below you'll see that what I say is true.

Also these are MSRP so prices will vary by dealer and availability. Should be able to find em for at least a 100.00 less than MSRP if you shop around though.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-american/

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-varmint/

As for glass,,, the only Bushnell I'd consider would be the Jap made 3200/4200 but they get pretty heavy for a calling rig.
Leupold VX3 in either 25-8 or 3.5-10 would be a nice upgrade at a reasonable price for that CZ.
The Vx2 4-12 is a good choice on a budget too.
Glass is subjective depending on the shooter but you'll never regret buying the best you can afford.
Luck

Thanks for the links...im starting to get very excited about this new setup! I do have a fairly priced dealer local so will see what he can do and also check gunbroker etc. Been looking for ammo in the mean time to stock pile.

Not super concerned with weight. Im a big guy lol. I dont mind carrying a heavy barreled gun at all. I sort of like the weight...my .17hmr feels like a toy sometimes. Ive debated putting a wood stock on it just to increase weihht but it shoots so well i dont want to mess with it.

I have an Inland Arms M1 Carbine I sometimes use when I call foxes and its a pretty sweet little gun. Puts em right down and quick follow up shots as well. I tend to use that more when its pretty close country due to its lightweight and is prett accurate out to 100 yards but drops pretty fast

Unfortunately cant use semi autos to hunt with here...well small game and ducks shotguns are ok. But no semi rifles at all....kinda stinks since 20mi away in maryland its legal...so are bait piles for deer. Good old old fashioned PA lol.

I say either get a 22 hornet or keep your 17 hmr. The 22 hornet will also drop coyotes if you run into any but still wont bust up a fox hide.

How do you go from this......

Originally Posted By: EliStick with the 17 hmr- under 125 yards it packs plenty of heat and it will be a cheap to shoot and very accurate. If you are dying to buy a new gun then get the 17 Remington.
Good luck!

To this in the same thread?
Originally Posted By: EliI say either get a 22 hornet or keep your 17 hmr. The 22 hornet will also drop coyotes if you run into any but still wont bust up a fox hide.

I see your now on the hunt for a 22 Hornet, I thought a 17HMR was all you need? What gives? What's wrong with your HMR? Why do you need more gun? If that's the case what's wrong with the 17HH?

I am just giving him more choices and my input on the topic. those would be my top 2 rifles and nothing is wrong with the either.

Originally Posted By: EliI am just giving him more choices and my input on the topic. those would be my top 2 rifles and nothing is wrong with the either.

Well what happened to the 17Rem you recommended? That would make 3 then right. Man your a tough one to nail down.

Back