Looking for advice on new Fox gun...

greengt88

Have it narrowed down to a .17hornet or .17remington.....not planning to reload and i also have a .17hmr already...other caliber suggestions? Looking for something good to 250yds that could take a coyote if necessary but primary use would be red fox. Thanks in advance

Your on the right track with the 17HH. The CZ would be at the top of my list.

204 is a bit much on fox, it don't take much to make a mess out of them.

I failed to mention I have a ,223 also....I have fired 5rds through it since owning. I have looked at a .204 and agree that its too much for fox. I shot 1 on 1st day of small game this year with my .17hmr...it dropped in its tracks, but it was barely a 10yd shot. I was very pleased with the performance. I just want something to fill the void between. also I have a potential buyer for the .223 so will eventually go with a .204 in the future (what I wanted when I got .223)...like I said I have no plans to reload as I don't shoot for a hobby, so a few boxes once its zeroed is all I need for hunting. my only concern with the hornet is ammo availability, but the .17rem scares me alittle with so many ammo choices and stories of bad factory loads and its better suited for a reloader....so idk what to do....don't want to sell .223 for .17h and then not have any ammo...fig. I will need atleast 50rds to sight in and another 50+ to hunt with for remainder of season.

I think you can find the 17HH ammo, its just going to take some looking. I wouldn't be afraid of the 17rem either but finding ammo for that might prove to be harder than the 17HH. I've shot a 17AH for several years now and its a blast, love that rifle.

well just listed the .223 in classifieds.....I found plenty of .17ammo on gunbot....none whatso ever for the hornet after 20min of google search. LGS gets 4 boxes in every other week so can order it there but 2box limit.

I've not got to try one on fox,but based on what I've seen the 17 AH/HH would be about a prefect as it could get for a centerfire fox killer.

yes it does look good....1100fps faster than my HMR, same ballistics as the .223, and about 200-250yd range....I don't go much past 100 with the HMR, did put 1 up a squirrels nose a few weeks ago at about 100yds through the woods with it though. hopefully ammo becomes more available for it more redily.

The ammo will come around given some more time. It's no different than trying to find powder, primers or bullets right now. It's getting better but its a very slow come back. Strange times were living in right now.

I agreed whole heartedly about the 17HH/AH being as close to the perfect Fox round as you'll find but you done went and threw Coyotes at 250 yards into the equation so all I can say is "good luck".

Originally Posted By: greengt88Have it narrowed down to a 17remington
This and 20 grain tipped bullets equals nirvana.....

Originally Posted By: RePeteI agreed whole heartedly about the 17HH/AH being as close to the perfect Fox round as you'll find but you done went and threw Coyotes at 250 yards into the equation so all I can say is "good luck".

Yea I seen that too. He's either going to have to call the coyotes in closer or gun up and blow the fox to pieces.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterOriginally Posted By: RePeteI agreed whole heartedly about the 17HH/AH being as close to the perfect Fox round as you'll find but you done went and threw Coyotes at 250 yards into the equation so all I can say is "good luck".

Yea I seen that too. He's either going to have to call the coyotes in closer or gun up and blow the fox to pieces.

Agreed,,,,
Bet I could build a nice 17/222 if I had a dollar for every thread looking for a round that will anchor a forty-fifty pound Coyote yet not damage a thin skinned ten-fifteen pound Fox;)
The fact that the OP has no intention of reloading sure doesn't help with this age old dilemma either.

Not to get too far in the weeds but one could compare it to the guys up here that wonder if their Coyote guns/traps are adequate for Wuffs.

Last edited:
Stick with the 17 hmr- under 125 yards it packs plenty of heat and it will be a cheap to shoot and very accurate. If you are dying to buy a new gun then get the 17 Remington.
Good luck!

Yea its a catch 22.....i would think with all the technology available in the world we would have something by now lol. I will prob end up with the hornet. I think it suits my needs the best. I know i should prob start reloading but i just dont shoot enough to justify it at this point. Next is matter of selling the .223......

How about a 221 Fireball? Or a 22 Hornet?

I have two 17 Hornets, ones a Ruger M77 the other is a G2 Contendor by Bullberry Gunworks. Both shoot phenomenal, and it does a very good job on coyotes. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot a fox. It also does a bang flop on coons, and no exit wounds.

Back