Looking at a Winchester M70 or Sako 85 ?

I have been looking at the Swarovski's they have some light weight scopes with good magnification.

But I may just get another 3.5-10x40 Leupold VX-III(12.6oz) and put a Kenton ballistic turret on. That leaves me with $2500 extra from my budget to get a McMillan Edge and pocket the savings back into my account for a rainy day.

It gets less press here in the US, but the 6.5X55 is an excellent cartridge that is a great choice in any modern rifle action that will allow it to be loaded to its potential. Although originally designed to shoot heavier 160-170 6.5MM bullets in the 1896 Mauser, it adapts very well to the lighter bullets more commonly used in the US like the 130-140 grain bullets. Available Lapua and RWS brass helps its ability. Shooting the same bullet, it and the 260 Rem are ballistic twins with a slight nod to the 6.5x55 by about 100 fps in velocity and maybe deduct a minimal amount of barrel life. Still, neither are covered with either "pixie dust or flies" but both will work for about anything you might want to kill. I like and shoot both.

"The Finn and The Swede" together would make a nice literary combination. I wonder if John Sundra, etc. will read this last sentence and run with it.) LOL.

Get home safe, son, and wear out a barrel or two.

Quick poll for a change.

I swapped my order for a 7mm-08, however, they have a finnlight in 270 that was a demo but in brand new condition for $300 less I just found out.

Would I be better off going with this .270 for an all around mountain rifle?

I must add that it appears upon my return and ETS from the Army I will be moving to Boise. So I will be hunting in that terrain for elk, deer, etc. I know that people say the 7mm-08 drops game with less recoil and it would be lighter than the .270. I just want to make sure I am not missing some piece of the puzzle before I call and finalize this deal and have it shipped.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back