Looking at a Winchester M70 or Sako 85 ?

a nice new m70 featherweight followed me home today...can't wait to scope it...The MOA trigger seems really nice and I would put it on par with the factory tikka which is one of my favorites.

Originally Posted By: bushya nice new m70 featherweight followed me home today...can't wait to scope it...The MOA trigger seems really nice and I would put it on par with the factory tikka which is one of my favorites.

Nice choice.....

Be careful as to keep the FW a FW. If you know what I mean.

Very nice scope, but a heavy 30mm can sometimes diminish the finer attributes of a light, fast handling rifle.

Just something to think about.

Mine wore a Leupy Vari-XIII 2.5-8x36. My 2 buds have Vari-XIII 3.5-10X40s on theirs.....

right on 2much...gonna use it here for desert mulies and speed goats, I thought about the 3.5-10 but really like the top end of 14. The scope isn't super heavy and I think it will top the rifle nicely.

Going with a Sako Finnlight in 6.5x55.
I will add a McMillan stock with Edge tech next to really lighten it up.

I am so close to going with the 7mm-08 but I reload and the Swede has Lapua brass that's cheap($75 that's $25 more than Winchester for 100) and available.

I think it will be a great project and a little different road to travel. Let's hope this works out!

I see the only gripe I can find on the 85 is that Sako went polar opposites and took too much stock surface away. This will not matter as I plan to get the McMillan. I like the styling on the 85 personally though.

What are your thoughts on the slightly heavier weight, 2.25" or so longer barrel, and slightly longer action of the 6.5x55 as opposed to the 7-08 or 260 Rem? That is what you prefer?

Yes, I want the longer action of the 6.5x55 I can roll my own a little better with this extra space.

Trust me I was looking REAL hard at the 7mm-08 and .260.

But I think this will be a fine rifle even with the little extra weight and length.

I hope that the edge stock will shave some of those ounces back off. All is not lost if not though. It will still be a handy rifle in my opinion.

All in all it's something a bit different and that attracts me too it a bit more.

Choosing the 6.5X55 will provide you with a great rifle/cartridge combination. What is it the experts here say? I think it is, "It has no flies on it". Maybe they got that from an old gun writer. Just maybe.

That's another thing that attracted me to it... Not a bad thing to be heard. Anything negative I did see proved later to be from a naive person(s) and without proper fact to back any claim.(What would the net be without that?)

Thanks for the assistance guys! Now it's time to choose an optic. I think I'll be going all out on this as well.

Very excited to get home and shoot this one!

Back