Long range/first Coyote rifle on an budget

Originally Posted By: RONINFLAGRemington 700 varmint in either .22-250 or .243. you can get an adl 700 varmint cheap with a scope from dicks on a budget I would get this.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleBeing a MO native, and while I know that there some areas where 700 yards is probable, you should concentrate on calling them in closer...With the budget you describe, check your local pawn shops for nothing smaller than a .243...There are a lot of them on the pawn shop shelves, with optics, that can be had that are in really good shape where someone had to have some fast cash for other needs...

I've hunted a lot of Coyotes in the MO river bottoms with a .204 and .223 and never felt under gunned...While I could have played 'sniper', I always felt that I was more likely to "Educate" than kill them at ranges over 150 yards...Once that shot is fired, you've alerted every Coyote in the county that and area is dangerous and a miss is not good for one's ego...

Totally agree. Taking improbable potshots is penny wise, pound foolish IMO because by far the most likely outcome is giving the coyote a free education into how to identify a threat. Shoot and miss and now you have a coyote that's 10 times smarter and more wary.

I also believe that it's possible that coyotes "transfer" knowledge of a threat by future reactions. If there's a coyote in a group of 2 or more and she's been educated by being shot at and missed when responding to a call, she's going to hang up the next time someone uses a call. All the other coyotes with her will look to her hanging up on what they see as a free dinner and suddenly they are suspicious as well. Why is she wary? One animal in a pack going wary makes them all wary even if they don't "understand" the reason, IMO the can often "read and heed" the reaction.

We have a lot of educated coyotes where I hunt because farmers take 300 yard potshots with the .30-30 deer wounder they all carry in the truck. Once one young coyote gets shot at, thee whole group becomes 10X more wary.

Grouse

Originally Posted By: coyotekillingfish 7mm-08 ??

Sorry, took a while to respond.

7mm-08 remington. That is the caliber.Great all round caliber and works on big game upto deer/elk!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: coyotekillingfishAny key advantages or features between 22-250, 243, or 6.5 creedmoor? Originally Posted By: coyotekillingfishSounds like either way 223 22-250 or 243 I couldn't go wrong for a good coyote cartridge. Thank you for everything. Ill wait for a good holiday sale and hopefully get a steal. Any real performance differences between them?

Not to be rude or abrasive, but if you are asking questions like these, you're not ready to engage coyotes at 300 yards let alone farther. I also feel that "long range on a budget" will always leave you lacking. $450 for EACH the rifle and the scope is about right to get into what you want to do. And another $450 in ammo and range time. Small critters past 200 yards gets interesting quick.

Definitely heed the advice of the above posters about the long-range thing. The Savage bolt guns are a great way to go IMO and the 243 is about right. Many higher BC bullets available that will work on varmints to longer ranges (the Horn 87 V-Max being one of my favorites). Do you reload? That will help you gain a huge amount of performance potential from whatever setup you choose. The Savage triggers are a cinch to adjust yourself with no out-of-pocket expense. Just research it some.

Start your long-range shooting education with researching on-line. There's a lifetime of reading on the subject, and believe me when I say that you'll become a perpetual student of it, and no one knows it all. Get some steel targets and start shooting/testing/tweaking your dope until you're netting a high percentage of 1st-shot connections at intermediate ranges (maybe 400 to 500ish yds. or so), and remember a coyote's broadside vital area is about 5" or so. If you get good at MOA 1st-shots to 500 yds. (5") from field positions you're doing better than ~99% of shooters out there. For steel try and get some freebie cinder block molds from a local brickyard, burn some holes in them and suspend them from a makeshift support system (I use steel rods pounded into the ground with metal plumbing "T's" set on top and another rod ran through them parallel to the ground). Keep practicing and studying and have fun.

I'll never forget talking to Michael Haugen--the Remington Tactical Arms Rep, about long-range shooting once long ago. He said he can tell immediately what kind of LR shooting class he's going to have by just asking one question right off--how many minutes are in a mil?

Quote:He said he can tell immediately what kind of LR shooting class he's going to have by just asking one question right off--how many minutes are in a mil?

That used to always screw me up! The whole Metric to standard too.

But I am a lot better now.

For factory rifles, with factory loads for long range, I would just go 243 or 6.5 Creedmoor.

OP, how are you estimating your max range at 700yd? Only reason i ask is this, I was out calling with a friend on sunday morning. He has hunted his whole life, but only been shooting a rifle for about a year.

We were out of sight of each other and I heard him fire, twice repeatedly. I looked over to see a coyote "biting the Bee" at what I would judge to be 325yds away.

After rounds 3-8 were fired all hitting the ground about 3ft short of the big coyote I knew what was happening. My friend has no idea of dope, drop, or anything related to them.

Bottom line is this, double check your skill at ranging with the naked eye, you might be way off!!

Get the ruger American predator in 6.5 creedmoor and get a 100 dollar optic for now.. Later on, save the coin and get a LR scope for it. The creedmoor offers factory match grade ammo for long range shooting and isn't that hard to obtain.. have fun..

If your set on shooting coyotes out past 300 yards, I would suggest you learn drop/dope, and learn how to get real steady sitting or shooting prone. In other words trigger time is key.

Originally Posted By: coyotekillingfishI want to start off by saying I am new to the forum. After months of reading posts I finally broke down and signed up for a membership. I recently got invited to come down to a friends farm to do some coyote control. The corn field we will be hunting is over 700 yards. I am in high school with a part time job so I can't buy any Ruger Precision Rifle. For under 450 dollars (scope and rifle) what should I buy? What caliber would be best for this range?

Welcome to the forums. like the other guys have said on here you CANNOT go wrong with the savage line of rifles. For the price they are great guns that shoot good. I own 5 of them and like everyone of them. 3 of mine are rebarreled in 338-06,260rem and 6mm-223rem. Check out savage shooters.com they have alot of good knowledge on there for beginners looking to buy savage rifles. If this is your first time coyote hunting and your starting off at your friends place at 700yards that sounds a bit far to shoot with a factory rifle. Your gona need good glass and customized rig to shoot that far. id look at a 243 or 6.5 creed for the long range shooting. check out the t/c venture rifles. for the money they shoot awesome. Ive owned a couple of them and they shoot almost as well as my custom rebarreled savages.

Last edited:
I would find the best deal on a used or new .223/(22-250 my personal fav) bolt gun.Stevens,Axis...Nikon 3-9 scope , and buy as much bulk ammo 50 or 55 gr . Shoot shoot shoot . Did i say shoot ? Welcome to the site . Keep it simple, did I say shoot ? Zero at 200 yards. Have fun and be safe. Gary

The way I read the OP's initial post stated that the corn field he's interested in hunting is a distance of 700 yards from one end to the other. I don't think he's actually interested in shooting this distance unless I missed something...

I have a savage axis HB 22-250 that I pillar and glass bedded into a Boyd's stock and put a Timney trigger in. All together it's about $600. Using a scope I had from another deer rifle. It's suited me well

so tell us which one did you get?

Originally Posted By: coyotekillingfishI want to start off by saying I am new to the forum. After months of reading posts I finally broke down and signed up for a membership. I recently got invited to come down to a friends farm to do some coyote control. The corn field we will be hunting is over 700 yards. I am in high school with a part time job so I can't buy any Ruger Precision Rifle. For under 450 dollars (scope and rifle) what should I buy? What caliber would be best for this range?

Originally Posted By: coyotekillingfish AZHiker, You are correct... what rifle/scope/ammo did you choose? what do your 10 shot groups look like at 300 yards??

If hes like most new shooters, 300 yards could best be described as a pattern, not a group
smile.gif

700 yards,no real trigger time, 40 lb target. Mighty ambitious goals.

Hey all. Sorry to revive this super old thread, but just wanted to give you an update! I bought a Savage MSR recon in .223 a few weeks ago! I also plan to start reloading .223 as I have access to some reloading equipment through a close friend. I’m currently saving to buy a Trijicon 3-9x40 Accupower scope. I’m thinking it will be a good calling gun. Anyways cheers! Thanks for all the advice a few years back, I fell into a money rut and finally got enough to buy a gun recently.

Back