Long range/first Coyote rifle on an budget

Remington 700 varmint in either .22-250 or .243. you can get an adl 700 varmint cheap with a scope from dicks

Last edited:
I have shot over 250 coyotes. if you do not have a laser range finder you will not be able to do well very far at all. coyotes are a small and challenging target. precision. most sporter weight rifles will not shoot as well as heavy barrel varmint type rifles.

I've decided on 243 as the caliber. Factory ammo everywhere,good long range capabilities etc.
I've narrowed it down to three specific guns:
Mossberg Patriot: $329.00 at local Academy 1:10 twist rate fluted barrel 3-9 scope adjustable trigger
Remington 783: $329.00 at Academy 1:9 1/8 twist coyote tan stock 3-9 scope adjustable trigger
Savage Axis XP: $299.00 Everywhere 1:9 1/2 twist 3-9 scope

Whats the best load for this range for coyotes? Will varmint ammo work? Whats the best all around twist rate for both varmint and heavier bullets (deer)?

Any opinions on these rifles or features that push any of these ahead?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: K-22hornet.Also take a look at Howa's. Basspro has the Howa for $499 with a Nikko Sterling scope on them.

I have one chambered in 22-250 that came scoped. It shoots under 1/2in moa with good reloads, though I wouldn't recommend the 22-250 if you want to shoot out to 700. I payed about $530 for it after tax at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Originally Posted By: coyotekillingfishI've decided on 243 as the caliber. Factory ammo everywhere,good long range capabilities etc.

Whats the best load for this range for coyotes? Will varmint ammo work? Whats the best all around twist rate for both varmint and heavier bullets (deer)?

Define what you mean by long range. I understand it as >600 yards. And by loads do you mean factory ammo? Under these definitions, I generally wouldn't use factory ammo and a cheap budget rifle and expect the accuracy needed for coyotes or even larger animals like deer.

If you are on a budget, I would suggest getting a used rifle, and a used scope. There are some great deals from time to time, if you look around and have some patience. Those cheap factory setups work for many deer hunters who shoot a 150 # deer at 100 yards or less. Now shooting at a 25# coyote at 300+ yards with a little wind can humble many hunters. The 243 can easily work on both.

I don't know your skill level, so I don't want to sound condescending. You could be a scout sniper and proudly wear a hogs tooth?

Realistically, with a cheap factory setup and factory ammo, 1.5", 100 yard groups can be the norm, usually at the >1.5". Stretch that out to 300 yards, known distance and no wind or mirage and 4.5" groups are your best hope. If you do your part. That works on deer or larger animals, but I prefer better on coyotes or smaller critters.

Good luck with your setup. Whittakers had a great sale on Howas. I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor and it is a shooter with my reloads.

I would go with the Savage. I have an Axis XP II in 243 and the thing is stupid accurate. I would post pics of some groups but almost no one would believe them. The Winchester VarmintX 58 grainers are magic out of mine. Busting milk jugs at 500 yards is almost boring with them. Kills coyotes REALLY dead but anything under 200 yards and they really make a mess. These are loaded with 58 grain Vmax bullets. If you are looking for factory ammo.....i would check into those or anything loaded with the 70 grain Nosler ballistic tip.

Quote:Kills coyotes REALLY dead

I believe that is the best way to kill them, really dead that is.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiQuote:Kills coyotes REALLY dead

I believe that is the best way to kill them, really dead that is.
smile.gif

The deader, the better.

grin.gif

Couple friends from work have the Axis and say it was pretty good right from the box, Walmart sometimes has the Remington 700ADL on Black Friday sales for right around $300 I believe.

Originally Posted By: BowhuntI would go with the Savage. I have an Axis XP II in 243 and the thing is stupid accurate. I would post pics of some groups but almost no one would believe them. The Winchester VarmintX 58 grainers are magic out of mine. Busting milk jugs at 500 yards is almost boring with them. Kills coyotes REALLY dead but anything under 200 yards and they really make a mess. These are loaded with 58 grain Vmax bullets. If you are looking for factory ammo.....i would check into those or anything loaded with the 70 grain Nosler ballistic tip.

I shoot these out of my Tikka T3 Lite .243 as well. Very fast and accurate. Fleet Farm has 40 round boxes of them pretty cheap.

I've heard good things about the Axis.

I second what others are saying about the Remington 700 (check WalMart), especially since Black Friday sales are just a month away.

Have you looked into the Ruger American? I've never shot one but have handled them at the gun stores and if I were to buy an entry level, cheaper gun for hunting, it'd be one of them.

Find a Stevens 200 .243 < $300, easy on Armslist or where ever. Mount a Bushnell 4-12x for just over $100. Mounts $40- whole package < $450 and will outshoot gooder rifles!

243 cal is your best bet I think. Savage axis 2 with actutriger is hard to beat. Ammo every were 55 gr through 100 gr I have shot some big deer with it too. Bucks the wind In North Dakota I can tell you that much. martyd

Originally Posted By: RONINFLAGhaving shot over 250 coyotes. I would not chose any of those three rifles.

I share the same opinion.

I'd get the used Stevens 200 and put a good trigger in it before any of those three. If you have to have a cheap rifle, the Ruger American is pretty decent for the price.

Originally Posted By: RONINFLAGhaving shot over 250 coyotes. I would not chose any of those three rifles.

Just wondering what shooting any number of coyotes has to do with NOT choosing one of those rifles. Given the OPs stated needs and desires......what would you recommend?

Last edited:
Being a MO native, and while I know that there some areas where 700 yards is probable, you should concentrate on calling them in closer...With the budget you describe, check your local pawn shops for nothing smaller than a .243...There are a lot of them on the pawn shop shelves, with optics, that can be had that are in really good shape where someone had to have some fast cash for other needs...

I've hunted a lot of Coyotes in the MO river bottoms with a .204 and .223 and never felt under gunned...While I could have played 'sniper', I always felt that I was more likely to "Educate" than kill them at ranges over 150 yards...Once that shot is fired, you've alerted every Coyote in the county that and area is dangerous and a miss is not good for one's ego...

Back