loc tite

Originally Posted By: trapperdocWhat color loc tite do you use for setting screws so you can still get the screws out with a screwdriver....thanks

Don't use any loc-tite. Leupold and others recommend that you use oil in the screw holes to prevent rust and that's all. Loc-tite (any color) can freeze a screw in the hole and cause it to break.

I have never used any type of screw locker and I've never had a screw come loose - but, last year, I bought a $1,100 rifle for $500, because it had a broken screw in the forward scope base - thanks to blue loc-tite.

If you contact loc-tite, they will tell you that it is for nuts on screws, NOT for deep holes.

This is going to be hard to explain but it is for the screws that adjust the tilt on the scope mount (sort of)it is on a military rifle springfield m1a when i was getting it sighted in shooting the rifle would loosen these two adjusting screws ex: screw front down it raises the front of the scope screw back screw down it raises the back of scope I hope this explains it if not i will try again this also has a screw on the side that mounts it to the rifle

Originally Posted By: skinneyI use Blue loctite on all my bases with about 15-20inch/lbs torque.

+2 on that....Last year I was about 40 miles away from home. Gun was dead nutz on earlier that day. Later on that same day and about 100 miles of travel and a long ways from home. Gun would not hit the broad side of a barn at 20 yards. YUP you guessed it. Scope Screw come LOOSE...
cursing.gif
. I ALWAYS use BLUE Loc Tite. Bases, and Rings.. Leason Learned the HARD way.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeIf you are gonna use loctite ,get purple.

Whats the Purple ? Is that the lightest Loc Tite they have ? Never seen it before. Thanks

Come to think of it, I used nail polish (black) on my 44. I used it for the rail, and the rings. Remmber to use loc-tite correctly. It MUST dry before you use the fastener!

I have never used lock tight on any scope that I mounted. Just torque them to specs. I have a friend that used loc-tite need to remove his scope snaped 2 screws off.

i have used red on the bases for as long as i remember never had a problem.rings just need to be torqued to spec.i don't use a lot and i have taken they bases off with out heat.i just put a small amount on a couple of threads

Last edited:
Back