Loading ??'s for My "new to me" 44 Mag.

Orneryolfart357

I recently picked up a Super redhawk in 44 Mag.
003-11.jpg

002-14.jpg

I have a couple questions that you Pistoleros may be able to answer.

1 Im interested in shooting Cast Bullets "read the recent post here and got some good info" My question is, how important is it to slug the barrel? I have been reading alot and it seems that an improper size bullet adds to the possibility of lead build up? Also, Gas check bullets vs standard flat bottom, which would you reccomend? I want to get proficient with this revolver, and for my initial practice the cost of cast bullets is enticing.

2 I plan on using this mainly for when hunting in Lion populated areas, and also for an occasional Coyote hunt. I have no plans of yet for using it on Big Game. What Weight/load would you reccomend? I would imagine that any load in a 44 at proper range would handle my needs?

Anyway thats just a couple questions, I know I will have more as I go along. I finally shot this yesterday for the first time with some home rolled 260 gr sierras and H110 powder. Also using Fed Match Mag primers. I really like the way it feels. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

I've never slugged my barrels, worse case you buy a box of bullets and don't use them all. If you have leading issues you want to slug your barrel or try the next size up bullet. I use cast bullets without gas checks, you really don't need them for the low velocities you'll typically get with a short barrel like that....especially with heavy weights like the 240 gr+ bullets.

I've never slugged the bbl either, Grant. Gas checks help prevent leading, but they are usally used for higher velocity loads. Leading gets worse the harder you push the bullets. I'd say, order the .430 ones and keep your speeds around 1200-1300 fps. 240-270 grs would work for your prescribed situation. I really like Keith type is SWC bullets. Get a good and tough alloy and that helps too. There are quite a few 44 shooters here that I am sure will chime in soon, but here is my limited experiance!

If you're looking for suggestions on a place to get your bullets give Mike a try....I'm not affiliated with him but I sure like his product
thumbup.gif

Mastercast bullets

Give him a call and see what he recommends for your application.

Back in the days when I had a friend at a Goodyear store I had all the wheel weights that I wanted. So for years I cast almost every bullet that I shot through my .44 cals. And as long as I did not get crazy with speeds leading was a non issue. 9 grains of Unique was like my standard powder weight if I was using a 180 grain bullet or a 250 grain bullet. I had a mold that made 330 grain bullets but did not use it much as it drained my pot too fast.

Keep your speeds under 1000 fps and you should do fine.

Might want to look into Monana Bullet Works . He has quite a few LBT moulds . I've had real good luck with the 280 WFN gas check bullet and H-110 .

Originally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Thanks for that Rustydust.. I was hoping to use the same powder, such as H110 or W296 for the reloads.. Is this still possible?

Oh sure. But both H110 and W296 are not supposed to be reduced very much, so you would get some leading most likely if you were loading it at .44 mag levels. Universal and Unique are about all I use anymore for plinking loads. Universal may be a bit better than Unique but I have been using Unique for almost 40 years and it is hard to part with an old friend. I do wish this "old friend" cost what it use to!

Bluedot is a fine middle road powder for the .44 Mag. I used to use it a lot back when I shot handgun metallic sillhoutte competition. A big heavy bullet traveling at a 1200 fps or so was just the ticket for knocking down 200 yard rams.

H110 and Win 296 are the same powder. You can't reduce them more than 3%.

They are very fine grained so they make my Lee powder measure stick.

If I were buying powder, I would try Accurate No. 9. I read in handloader that it produces less blast, and the velocities are similar. But I've got my first pound of 110 to use up and I found another for $10 at the gun show so I couldn't resist. It will be awhile before I need to buy powder.

I don't think they would do too well with cast bullets unless perhaps you use a gas check, but I haven't got a lot of experience with the .44.

Last edited:
Well thanks for the tips thus far. I still have not ordered any Cast bullets yet, so I will keep reading and see what way I want to go as far as powder and bullets.. all info appreciated.

Thanks for that Mark. I had read this article by a fellow named John Ross?
http://www.wetinkpro.com/john/site/magnum.php
In his article he said this...

The single best powder for full .44 loads is WW296/H110 or other surplus equivalent. This ball powder was designed for the .30 Carbine and magnum handgunners have adopted it with good reason. Of the over 100,000 .44 Mag loads I have fired, over 80% of them have been 25 H110/296 and a 250 Keith, the Hensley & Gibbs #503. This bullet goes out to the front of a S&W cylinder. 25 grains of this powder might be too hot for a "Keith Style" bullet with a shorter nose and more shank in the case, or a jacketed slug. My load goes 38,500 CUP in the Super Vel pressure gun.

I dont know this writer, and am not taking it as Gospel, so thats why I am asking about powders. Seems he liked the Keith bullet with H110. If better powders are available, I will definately purchase some.

With the 110 I like the way that it fills the case. No chance of a double charge. Of course I have only loaded jacketed bullets thus far. But If 110 will work, I figure If I'm gonna shoot a 44 Mag, It might as well feel like one. lol Thanks for the replies thus far Guys!

Back