Lever guns for coyotes?

DAA

Administrator
Staff member
Seems I've flung a craving for a lever action coyote rifle. Something quick handling. Something that would be my version of a shotgun for calling in the tight stuff.

I've always been a bolt action guy though. Have always "liked" lever guns, but honestly just never paid much attention to them and don't know much about them.

I'd probably just stick with the factory iron sights. But... At least having the option to mount a red dot or low power scope would not be a bad thing either.

So... What's out there these days that I should be looking at? I don't want to spend too much. In fact, for this rifle, I'm hoping to find a "deal". I know that some of the fine old lever guns are no longer in production and bring a bit of a collector premium. I don't want to pay for that. I want a "shooter" a working rifle that will get used hard. But I really don't even know what is out there, as far as current production, or what I should be on the lookout for used. Any advice would be appreciated.

Not too sure about chambering, either. I "think" I'd probably rather get one chambered for a rifle cartridge than one of the pistol chamberings. But... One of the pistol chamberings would likely be sufficient for coyotes, I would think, and might be a lot of fun for my Son or myself to use busting jack rabbits or plinking too. I'd be very interested in hearing any first hand experience with the pistol chamberings in actual use on coyotes or rabbits.

Thanks in advance for any and all!

- DAA

I have a Browning 53 Delux (a copy of Winchester's 53) in 32-20. I handload 100 grain jacketed softpoints to about 1600 fps. While I have not shot any coyotes with it, I have shot a number of rabbits with devastating effects. It will certainly do well on coyotes to about 100 yards. I may try it on coyotes this year.

You can find used Marlins in this caliber, as well as used ones in .218 Bee (another great caliber). Lots of .357 Marlins out there that would be great close range coyote guns.

I have a Lyman receiver sight on my Browning and it easly shoots groups of less than 1.5 inches at 50 yards.

Last edited:
I also, have always been fascinated with the lever guns...

IMHO, the best all around lever is the old 30-30... It shoots reasonably flat, has taken a bunch of deer and probably it's share of coyotes, etc... A little big for rabbits though..

Since you want a 'working' gun, the post 1964 Winchesters are still not that expensive on the used market. I used to have a 1946 Winchester '94 and stupidly let it go several years ago..

I still have an older Marlin .44mag lever that I cherish and only take it out on 'fun' shoots anymore.. I also have a Browning .22lr Lever that one my grandsons is getting acquainted with and shoots pretty well

There are several copies of the American manufacturers that are on the market at reasonable prices, I'm just not sure about the quality..

Henry puts out a lot of cowboy action level rifles in lever actions as well.

Marlin 336 in .30/30, no need to look any further. Mine still wears iron sites. I am looking to collect a coyote with mine this year, add a bit of challenge to the game. I really like my Marlin .30/30

Early BLR's were chamberred in 222 Rem, 22-250 and 243. There are Marlins in 218 Bee, and 219 Zipper. Savage 99's can be found in 22 High Power, 22-250, 243, 25-35 and 250-3000. Small cal Winchesters are getting pretty expensive.

AWS

daa, you are falling into the must use a shotgun pier pressure some are putting out, I feel exactly like you do, using a shotgun is like cheating and too anticlimatic. I think you should forget the lever action deal and forget the shotgun pier pressure and just use a scope on your guns that lends itself to better action on close in shots, I like a good ole 3x9, a 2x7 might even be better, the scopes I have seen on your guns in videos typically are higher powered and yeah they have a lower power range, however they still lack the FOV that a 3x9 or 2x7 would have. the only cases where a faster handling gun would have netted me a yote is when the sage gets too thick and high, even if one busts you can normally bark it for a shot.

if for some reason I got a wild hair and did a calling contest I would consider a shotgun. however I am a riflemen first, take pride in my shooting and at the same time when I miss it haunts me like no other. the lever guns normally have terrible triggers, I had a winchester 88, in 308 it shot sub moa, it just felt too weird to use the gun and the 4.5# trigger sure didn't help

Why not have the best of both worlds. If you want a lever gun and want to shoot a decent coyote round, then.....

Find a Savage 99E chambered in .243.
I shoot Hornady V-max 58 gr. in mine and it shoots great. I did not go looking for this set up but the gun was my first deer rifle and when I got the predator hunting bug I aready had the gun so I thought why not.
Just some thoughts.

Ex-neighbor guy, bought a Browning lever 22-250. Mighty fine looking rifle & shot well useing factory ammo. If I didn't like my .243 AR so much. I'd have one.

Last edited:
i oftern shoot my marlin in .357 mag. plenty for coyotes out to 100. Devistates rabbits and with 38 special loads any child could shoot it without any problems.
DaFUnk

I love leverguns, and there are plenty of options out there.

Marlin has come out with some new stuff that looks good, Mossberg has come out with a new 94 clone that I have been hearing alot of good things about.

Then you have the emf, hartford, rossi 73 clones.
I have one in .357 and I love it, I have taken ALOT of deer with it, and it can do a good job at some good range.

I have shot coyotes with my .30-30 while deer hunting and it really doesnt mess up the pelt as much as one would imagine.

If it were me, Id go with either the .357 or the 30-30, for the fact that, the .44 and the .45 will fall somewhere in between and not as affordable to plink with unless you reload. the .357/38 will get you from jacks to deer.

the marlins are already drilled and tapped for a scope, so you save some time and hassle there, I think the new mossberg may be as well, though im not sure.

Good luck

Dave

Thanks for all the input fellas, I appreciate it and will be looking into some of your ideas. I think I am starting to lean more towards the idea of a .357 than I was earlier. Frankly, it just sounds plain old fun! And I do have a very old Win. '94 in .38-55 already too, if I find myself really needing more oomph in a lever gun. It's almost 100 years old though, so I really don't like knocking it around in the truck on coyote hunts. Plus, it has a pretty long barrel so it isn't quite as handy as I'd really like.

Quote:
...the only cases where a faster handling gun would have netted me a yote is when the sage gets too thick and high

That's exactly where it would get used.

- DAA

I've been thinking about one in 357 mag my self. Just no funds available . Would complimant my S&W 686 and possibly like the same ammo.

I bought a Model 92 in .44-40 for woods near my house. W/ 200gr lead bullets at 975fps MV it should do very well as a coyote gun under 100 yards.

Quote:
"BLR's are ugly guns IMO..."

HA! IMO too!

Get one of the copies of the Winchester 1892's in 218 Bee, 32-20, 357, 44-40, 45 LC, etc... they are great!

The '92 is the slickest lever gun around - I have 6 of them, a Browning 53 in .218 Bee, two 357's, two 45 LCs, and a 44-40.

Do you want fur? or just to thin the yote population? If the latter just go for a Marlin 1894 357 or 44 Mag. If you want to hunt fur look for a Marlin 1894 in one of the older chamberings like 32-20 or 22 Hornet. Or get yourself a Browning BLR in .223 or 22-250, or 243. Or look for an old Savage 99. The options are there if you want to hunt for them. Alot depends on your pocketbook, and your level of desire.

Quote:
I've been thinking about one in 357 mag my self. Just no funds available . Would complimant my S&W 686 and possibly like the same ammo.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I also have a 686 in stainless. The .357 will do anything you want it to, change loads and bullets for different game. Waiting to take my first black bear with the 686. A lever .357 would be sweet.

Dave, a Marlin in 30/30 shooting the 125's will fill your bill.

I would suggest that you forget open sights, I tried it and it is a serious handicap, especially in twilight and heavy over cast days. Coyotes and jacks moving though dark brush with low light will really P. you off!

Gallison's down in Salt Lake will have a great Marlin at a very respectable price, that will get you going. You will love shooting jacks with that rifle!

30/30 brass is very reasonable, also.

Dave L. knows a guy that is a retired typewriter mechanic that is a wizzard on triggers, hit Dave L. up for his number.

I hunted with a Remington Model 25 pump in 25/20 for a while. It only took about 500 rounds before the barrel steel pitted and got extremely rough. The open sights cost me yotes, but I made up for it on the jacks!

If I had kept good records, I bet that 80% of all my shots are within 125 yards, and it has amazed me that folks have over looked the humble 30/30. I had a Savage pump till recently that would shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds with several different loads. I have had several Marlins in 30/30 that would shoot 1 1/2" with good glass on them.

The 125's were very accurate in my Marlins and Savages with 3031, Primer made a whale of a difference along with brand of 125's. I never crimped the bullets!

Good luck!

I've shot a few with a Win. 94 in 25-35. I would do it a lot more if I had better access to that gun. I will say it isn't too fur friendly with the 117 round-nose loads.

Back